Quantcast

Need Help on Choosing a Bike

WanstaRide

Chimp
Jun 20, 2011
Rockland County USA
Hi, I am new to the forum and so new to riding i havnt even gone yet. im looking to get a full suspension bike for my self. i love hiking and 4 wheeling in my jeep. I live in an area where there are a lot of trails for biking i found out.
All over my area all you see is small mountains or Really Big hills, not to sure what to call them. but plenty of places for outdoor activities.
Now I am Wondering if any one on here with experience can help me. While growing up i rode BMX street, but loved when i found a nice set of trails to hit up. Im looking at a downhill bike or something similar to it. i like how some bikes have the option to lock the suspension when you want to. im not going to be limiting my self to just downhill. Also regular trails i will ride too. any body know of any good bikes i can look at to buy. im looking to spend around 1,500 bones. i just hate going to the bike shop where im limited to only learning about the bikes they sell. i used to go to albes.com or danscomp.com for bike parts but they dont do mountain bikes.
Another note, i can get a Jamis Bam 2 used for 1,200 from mountain creek free ride park in jersey. :thumb:
... Sorry for the essay

Bruceskee

Chimp
Jun 4, 2011
go for a downhill bike, but whatever is best for you,

Personally a downhill bike is a preference because they are so spongey and i love the downhill runs, Great adrenaline rush and a great adventure!

have a look around www.specialized.com

go on the mountain bikes and i own a "Demo 8 II"

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
go for a downhill bike, but whatever is best for you,

Personally a downhill bike is a preference because they are so spongey and i love the downhill runs, Great adrenaline rush and a great adventure!

have a look around www.specialized.com

go on the mountain bikes and i own a "Demo 8 II"
I think dowhill bikes will be better for you.
how about i dissagree with both of you since he said he does want to do other riding then pure dh as well. in this case hes better of with a sx trail (older shorter travel 09) or something more along those lines, since they are pretty rideable bikes when it comes to climbing.
like this
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/815040/
or this which is a giant equivalent
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/874296/

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
From reading your thread I would go for an older Remedy, you can find an 08 for around $1500. Climbs like a goat and handles the downhills well. I would avoid going straight to a DH bike just for the fact that you will be limited to what riding you will do.
Pm sent

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I'd try to get a ride in on as many different bikes as you can. Many local shops will let you ride them (even if only around the parking lot). Also, why a Full suspension? I'm just curious...some people prefer them, and others would prefer a hard tail. I have both and find that riding my hard tail really refines my technique, while full suspension just allows me to ride whatever line and the bike does all the work.

For $1500 you can get a decent bike either way.