Quantcast

Need help Sat pouring the HOLY CHUTE!!

mwestra2

Monkey
Dec 4, 2007
We need lotsa hands at Colonnade on Sat to help us pour Holy Chute. We'll think of a better name, but it's a >15 ft. high, 55 degree faux granite (as in concrete made to look like granite) chute. We decided to do it by hand instead of renting a concrete truck, so we'll need a couple people running the mixer and filling buckets, and a long line of strong guys'n'gals doing the bucket brigade thing.

We'll be there all day (10am to dusk) on Sat, but any time you can spare (even if it's just 30 minutes to relieve someone) would be greatly appreciated! Sign up at: http://www.bbtc.org/recreation/calen...?event_id=6116 or just show up any time... we'll be on the far south side of Phase 2.

This is what it looked like a few weeks ago. Now it is loaded with rebar and has a stairstep frame built around it so we can get up'n'down.

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
Just a thought and maybe you guys have already thought of it but I'll put it out there anyway. How do you plan on not having the concrete run down the chute and pooling up at the bottom? May I suggest construction joints.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
If you really want to affect how things are built you should go there and work and talk to the people in charge.

Not that I have done much work there but I am just sayin'....

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
It's pretty darn steep - the pic doesn't do it justice. I don't think airing it will be much of an option, though I'm sure some pro will blow our minds and do it.

You all need to go check out the new work. It is really impressive and a very different style the first part of the park.

ebxtreme

Monkey
Apr 25, 2007
Bellingham
the steeper it is the easier it is to air.

Step 1: go fast.

Step 2: push down.
Step 3: you need some sort of a runout to control said air.

The chute will likely go into a left berm not long after this flattens out. The goal of this feature as per westra and juice is to simulate a steep granite rock face that you'd find on the shore.....think along the lines of Cypress or 'big smooth' on UOC (albeit a bit longer than big smooth).

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
I've never been, but would like to help. Perhaps from 10-12. I can't make any promises this early in the week though. I'm also trying to get some help from fellow biking friends.

Dave_Schuldt

Monkey
Jun 13, 2004
Seattle
We will be using super thick fast kicking concrete, Joel L. will be in charge. Rebar has been driven into dirt so it's not going anywhere soon. I hear that our friend the Bobcat will be back for pump track grading. Please sign up on web site, accounts are free.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
If it means anything, I'd go if I had a car, and didnt work.

:-)
P.S. I'm talking to Jon to get my Eagle Scout project going, hopefully at Colonnade...hopefully I'll be making my contribution soon.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Yeah, it was a great time yesterday, there is going to be some great riding at Colonnades once phase 2 is done. I have to second the suggestion that if you want to influence the design you just need to show up. It's tough to see from pictures what everything really looks like on the phase 2 project, but once I went down for a work party and saw the killer Crank It Up-style lines going in, the sweet cobbled trails snaking around above and evil genius of the wall-rides and Holy Chute (wait until you see what the exit options end up being) and all the little touches going in to address the soil and drainage issues I left convinced that this is going to be a very fun place.