Quantcast

Need help tweaking my thesis...

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
for my Admin Law class....

here is what I have so far, I need to turn it in in an hour...(10:00pm est)

One of the most important rights that United States citizens enjoy is their voice in government and their election of public officials by use of their vote. While this is an inherent right, it is also the right of the citizen to exercise their right not to vote. It is in our choice we have a voice in our government. Mandating that citizens be required to vote is an elimination of the intrinsic beauty of the freedoms that we as citizens share, and minimizes, if not all but destroys the protection afforded by the United States Constitution.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
sirknight6 said:
for my Admin Law class....

here is what I have so far, I need to turn it in in an hour...(10:00pm est)

One of the most important rights that United States citizens enjoy is their voice in government and their election of public officials by use of their vote. While this is an inherent right, it is also the right of the citizen to exercise his right not to vote. It is in our choice we have a voice in our government. Mandating that citizens be required to vote is an elimination of the intrinsic beauty of the freedoms that we as citizens share, and minimizes, if not all but destroys, the protection afforded by the United States Constitution.

I think it's a little choppy, but if you decide to stick with it, I highlighted two grammatical errors. Good luck with your paper! :D

Edit: The comma didn't bold well, but I added it after "destroys." [It is in our choice we have a voice in our government.]--> this phrase sounds a little awkward to me. Anyway, best of luck to you!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
antimony said:
I think it's a little choppy, but if you decide to stick with it, I highlighted two grammatical errors. Good luck with your paper! :D

Edit: The comma didn't bold well, but I added it after "destroys." [It is in our choice we have a voice in our government.]--> this phrase sounds a little awkward to me. Anyway, best of luck to you!
The removal of "our".

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
"It is in our choice we have a voice in our government."

That sentence needs work, maybe something like:

"It is our choice to have a voice in government or not."

And if you go with "his" it really should be "his or her."

Also, it's your argument but I am not sure that mandating a vote "all but destroys" the protections of the Constitution, to me it's more like an affront to our liberty.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
OGRipper said:
"It is in our choice we have a voice in our government."

That sentence needs work, maybe something like:

"It is our choice to have a voice in government or not."

Also, it's your argument but I am not sure that mandating a vote "all but destroys" the protections of the Constitution, to me it's more like an affront to our liberty.
Actually, full removal of that sentence would be better since it is redundant. Good pick up.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
OGRipper said:
It is correct to use his. His is the word to use when refering to a gender-neutral noun. Him is the pronoun for human. So sayeth my wife the english teacher.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
ummbikes said:
It is correct to use his. His is the word to use when refering to a gender-neutral noun. Him is the pronoun for human. So sayeth my wife the english teacher.
She sayeth correctly! That's what I had in College Comp II, that's what they said was proper...

I feel like it depends on the subject matter. Sometimes you can use her instead of him.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
ummbikes said:
My english teacher sayeth the opposite. But the AP style guide agrees with your teacher...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Good thesis!

I would reword it a little, like this, to make it simpler and stronger:

United States citizens maintain a voice in federal, state, and local governments through voting. It is also the right of the citizen to exercise abstinence from voting. Officially requiring citizens to vote eliminates the intrinsic beauty of citizen’s freedoms, and denies the political liberty of the United States Constitution.

Be sure you have a way to counter an argument that with mandatory voting, an option can and will be placed on all ballots to abstain from electing any parties/candidates. How much do you discuss the dangers of uneducated voters?

I know you've already turned everything in, but I'm an English major senior, and enjoy discussing things like this.