Quantcast

need help with brakes

BrandonWatts

Monkey
May 4, 2005
raymond, WA
hey guys i need a little help figureing out what brakes to go with. i have hayse mx2 mechanicals right now and they are just not doing the job. i would like to go with a hydro brake but what would you guys recommend. i will be doing trail, freeride, and downhill so i want a break that is good in all those condistions thanks Brandon

BrandonWatts

Monkey
May 4, 2005
raymond, WA
which hayes though i am kinda new to hydro breaks. i know the Mags with 8 inch rotors said but what else and where is he best place to get them for a decent price. i would like to stay under like 250 for everthing.
Thanks Brandon

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The new Hayes HFX 9s are pretty good. Hayes fixed all the bugs from years past. They are pretty cheap. Just make sure you get the newer ones. The newer HFX 9s have a C clamp with one bolt on each side. The older style only had one bolt on one side.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
if your looking for cheep go for the hayes HFX-9's or the avid juicy 5's the J-5's are the same as the the 7's but w/out the adjuster nob which you will not use anyway. HFX-9's are hayes cheaper hydro system and are everywere look for some that are new/used that came stock on some bike and someone replaced them right out of the box and you'll get em cheep. don't buy them used thou. the el caminos are not DH brakes and try to avoid them if your over 100lbs. they were on a bunch of rental DH bikes but they couldn't hold up and had to be swaped for mags or 9's. plus they are not cheep.
if you look around i'm sure you can fin a set of J-5's or HFX-9's for a good price, the biggest diffrence is the feel of the brakes. 9's have more modulation so you can better control how much power you use. the 5's have less lever travel and more power, but less modulation. also feel the shape of the levers in your hands and be sure that it feels good. having just come off mx-2's anything feels good, so be scrutinous. i just did the switch from mx-2's to J-5's and i love it. good brakes are worth investing in. hope that helps

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
go hope mono m4 or mono mini, if you dont need as much power. you will never regret it. expensive, yes. worth it, yes.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
the biggest diffrence is the feel of the brakes. 9's have more modulation so you can better control how much power you use. the 5's have less lever travel and more power, but less modulation.
I would have to beg to differ. The juicy's have more modulation then the hayes 9's. I went from the hfx 9's to the juicy 7's and it was a huge difference. The 9's are either on or off there is no modulation. I also noticed that with the juicy's I don't get arm pump as bad and my hands cramp up less then with the hfx 9's, the lever has a much better feel. I can use 1 finger on the juicys and have pleanty of control where as with the hfx's i had to use 2 fingers and still never felt as though i had control over the bike. I had the first hfx's with the single bolt and i have tried the ones with the 2 bolts and the new ones are just as crappy, that reach adjuster allen bolt still backs out constantly. Another plus is that the juicys are less messy to bleed.

also anyone who says that the lever adjuster is not needed probably never rode the juicy 7's. If you have smaller hands like I do the adjuster works great and when your hands start to get tired the adjuster helps also. I find myself using the adjuster constantly when I ride dh but everone is different. The 5's have all the benefits of the 7s minus that adjuster, I suggest if you can try out the different brakes and see what you like the best.

freerideATL

Chimp
Jun 28, 2005
Atlanta
i would say juicy 5's........
it doesn't seem like you really
need to spend that much on 7's
for your riding. i got my 5's for
like $99 a peice and have been happy.

BrandonWatts

Monkey
May 4, 2005
raymond, WA
freerideATL said:
i would say juicy 5's........
it doesn't seem like you really
need to spend that much on 7's
for your riding. i got my 5's for
like $99 a peice and have been happy.
yeah i am looking into juicy 5's. where did you get yours for 99 a peice

freerideATL

Chimp
Jun 28, 2005
Atlanta
i got them at beyondbikes.com i think......
it was a really short sale so now i think the
best price is at price point. $119 a pop

if i see anything better ill let you know.

WSU DH'er

Monkey
Nov 28, 2003
Fayetteville, NC
I just made the switch from hayes to saint brakes, and no the saints don't just come with the center lock rotors. So far I've been really impressed with the shimmano brakes, depending on your price range I'd look into those. And remember to get the XT levers same as the saints just cheeper.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
juicy's on ebay for 230 ish.. ive seen Mags around 240ish somewhere too.. i scored my Mags used but in damn good shape for $100 here on RM. I needed new pads and a rear hose (got a Galfer stainless) cost me total of $175 new pads and one stainless hose.. with the front stainless in teh future less than $220 for practically brand new Mags.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
If you're going to e-bay route look at the older Shimano XT 4 piston brakes. Very nice especially when paired with Goodridge hoses.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
BrandonWatts said:
yeah i have been keeping my eye out for some old xt dic brakes i have herd nothing but good thing about them
Good luck... the word is defintely out about them. I was watching them on Ebay for the last 2 months. You used to get them for about $125, over the last week 2 different sets went for around $180.

Still a great deal... but damn that's a jump!

I would probably still buy them if I hadn't got myself a set of Hopes.

conor1326

Chimp
Oct 4, 2004
Hungary
Hi guys!
I've got a problem with my front hope mono m4 disc brake...
it's on a boxxer, with a 200mm two-piece rotor
it's perfectly adjusted, but it has no braking power....:(
My avid bb7 with a 180mm magura rotor was FAR better....:-/

any guesses, what can cause this problem?
maybe poor quality factory-pads, or what?
I really have no idea, wat is the problem....I hoped it would be better than my old avid, but no...
help me!:)
thanks

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Evyerybody in this thread forgot about the best brake on the planet. Get Magura Louise fr's great power and modulation, lighter than anything else in the fr/dh scene. Non toxic mineral oil for fluid, and a full 5 year leakproof warenty. BUY SOME!!!!!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
maxyedor said:
Evyerybody in this thread forgot about the best brake on the planet. Get Magura Louise fr's great power and modulation, lighter than anything else in the fr/dh scene. Non toxic mineral oil for fluid, and a full 5 year leakproof warenty. BUY SOME!!!!!
Reading is fundamental...
BrandonWatts said:
i would like to stay under like 250 for everthing.
Besides - the XT 4 pots are Mineral oil too...

BrandonWatts said:
i am getting a set of m755 for 175 bucks
Awesome!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Yes he said under $250 for everything but people were recomending Juicy 7s and Hope were the way to go, and if you gunna spend the extra $$$ at least make it worth it. Yes the XT's are mineral oil based and thats IMO one of the best things about the Magura and the Shimanos aside from the performance.

BrandonWatts

Monkey
May 4, 2005
raymond, WA
i thought about getting the juicy 7's. i can get the for 130 bucks a brake. they come with 6 inch rotors but i have 8 inch on my bike right now and there brand new

conor1326

Chimp
Oct 4, 2004
Hungary
snoopz666 said:
your pads are probobly contaminated, just but new pads, and before you install them clean the rotor with isopropyl achohol

well, something else causes the problem
it was cleaned with motorex cleaner, but it's still really bad...:(

what is the best performance pad for this brake?
koolstop, ebc maybe?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
conor1326 said:
well, something else causes the problem
it was cleaned with motorex cleaner, but it's still really bad...:(

what is the best performance pad for this brake?
koolstop, ebc maybe?
EBC golds perform awsome, but that doesn't sound quite like what the problem is. Do they feel firm? if not bleed them. Do the rotors have crap on them? clean them. Are they burned in yet? ofthen times until they are realy well burned in brakes don't seem like they work at all.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
BrandonWatts said:
i would like to get saints but they have those damn center lock rotors is there anywhere i can get them with out the center lock rotors
Don't know if it's too late or what but just wanted you to know you can use regular shimano or hayes rotors with Saint brakes, you don't need to use the centerlocks, and thus you don't need centerlock hubs. I have the older xt 4-pots and love them. A couple friends of mine recently switched from old xt to saint and they say the saints are just a little bit more powerful and offer slightly better modulation and control. Pretty sure the saints are a little less weight too - but only a little.