Quantcast

Need help with DH suspension tuning

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I am going to Snowshoe in early July to ride my first ever lift assisted/ real DH trails.

How should I set up my suspension? I will riding a 03 Bullit with an 03 Super T. Since I live in FL and the trails are pretty flat, I am pretty sure my current adjustments are pretty far from ideal for true DH riding.

What is the best way to tune for DH? Should I start with rebound and compression on the slower side and speed them up until they feel comfortable? Or start with everything on the faster side?

Also how about spring rates? It seems like people tend to use lighter spring weights for DH then tuning a bike for freeriding.

Also I am getting really close to buying a floating brake for my Bullit. Will it affect my suspenion tuning?

What other adjustments should I make to the bike to handle these conditions better? I am thinking of rolling the bars back a bit more than I normally ride and mounting my direct mount stem in the shorter position.

Please take into consideration that this will be my first DH riding so I am not looking for a "race" type setup, but something that will allow me have have fun but won't beat the **** out of me (though I am sure I will feel that way no matter what) and won't pitch me on my head the first time out.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Honestly start out with what your used to. If it's not working out adjust it when you get there. It's more about how you like it not what's best.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well think about it in this respect. If you're riding a lot of flat areas, not too many drops etc....then you're gonna want it firmer than softer so you can maximize your pedaling etc... IF you're going to start doing drops you want all the travel your bullit has. Set it up for a little more plush ride.

It has a 5th element right? You can set them up very well for pedaling and big hit taking.

I agree, use what feels good to you right now and if you want it harder/softer you know what to change (spring maybe, more air pressure, adjust the gadgets on the fork) etc... Front wise is probably ok, if you want a little more progression add a little oil to each leg but that's it.

You'll find out fast if it bottoms quickly what you'll need to do. I have mine setup for a rider weiging 200-240lbs which my body weight is between and all settings seem ok. Nothing is really that outta wack