Quantcast

need help with replacing external BB bearings

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Need to replace a bearing in my XT bottom bracket and have several questions about how to do it.

• Do I need one of the special external BB bearing removal/installation tools that ABI and Phil Wood make?
  • If not, how do I go about removing the bearing from the BB cup? Pop the dust seal off and use a bearing puller?
  • Do I install the new bearing by just pressing/pounding it into the BB cup with sockets/PVC pipe/whatever I have handy?
  • Are the Phil Wood replacement bearings worth the extra coin, or should I keep it conservative and go with the standard Enduro replacement bearings? (The Phil Wood bearings cost roughly three times more than the Enduro bearings.)
  • Is it really worth the trouble to replace the bearing, or should I just buy an entire replacement XT BB cup and be done with it?

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I just went through this with a roached RF drive side BB bearing. I ended up buying a new BB but I'm thinking about the tools and simply replacing bearing(s) next time. less waste -- you throw away usable alloy cups when you buy a whole new BB.

new BB = 25.00 approx.

new bearing = much cheaper, but...

...the tools to replace the bearing, there's your cost... cheapest I've seen was $60-65 for the Enduro tools. to me buying the tools is worth it if you munch BB bearings frequently, not worth it if you don't. the Phil Wood tools are even more expensive than the Enduro ones.

I don't know if you can press out the old and press in the new with makeshift tools. a crafty person probably could, but without tools designed for the job, I'd be worried about mangling those thin alloy cups that hold the bearings.

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
This is an easy job. You do not need the special tools that they make. What you do need is a punch and a hammer and a vice. The hardest part is holding the BB Cup so that you can pound the bearing out. You need to figure out a way so that the metal lip rests on a flat surface but is open in the center so the Bearing can drop out. You maybe able to use a socket. The vise i have has pins in the jaws so i could hold it with the pins and the bottom still be open. Once you have this all you need to do is tap on the back of the Bearing and the bearing and dust seal will come out. To put them back in all you need is a vise. Put grease on the outside of the bearing and it will go in much easier. Line them up then clamp them in the vise. not to hard but that should do the trick.

I did this on my Shimano BB with none of the special tools and it came out fine

I have only used the Enduro bearings, no complaints there.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is an easy job. You do not need the special tools that they make. What you do need is a punch and a hammer and a vice. The hardest part is holding the BB Cup so that you can pound the bearing out. You need to figure out a way so that the metal lip rests on a flat surface but is open in the center so the Bearing can drop out. You maybe able to use a socket. The vise i have has pins in the jaws so i could hold it with the pins and the bottom still be open. Once you have this all you need to do is tap on the back of the Bearing and the bearing and dust seal will come out. To put them back in all you need is a vise. Put grease on the outside of the bearing and it will go in much easier. Line them up then clamp them in the vise. not to hard but that should do the trick.

I did this on my Shimano BB with none of the special tools and it came out fine

I have only used the Enduro bearings, no complaints there.
Same here. Used enduro bearings with my XT crankset. The bearings were stupid cheap like $15, I just had to use a punch that could grap the lip of the bearing. If you've ever done anything with bearings in the past it should be pretty simple.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
btw, Ben: Eric is expert at replacing Shimano bearings with Phil Wood. You do need the special tool though.

Sov

Chimp
Jan 1, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
This is an easy job. You do not need the special tools that they make. What you do need is a punch and a hammer and a vice. The hardest part is holding the BB Cup so that you can pound the bearing out. You need to figure out a way so that the metal lip rests on a flat surface but is open in the center so the Bearing can drop out.
I replaced some recently by just leaving the BB cups on the bike and punching the bearings straight out. They were a light press fit so it was pretty easy. Then I used a threaded road and some washers to press in the new ones.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Need to replace a bearing in my XT bottom bracket and have several questions about how to do it.

• Do I install the new bearing by just pressing/pounding it into the BB cup with sockets/PVC pipe/whatever I have handy?

• Is it really worth the trouble to replace the bearing, or should I just buy an entire replacement XT BB cup and be done with it?
For ****s sake at least use a vice...hammers do not get along with brand new bearings.

Usually isn't worth the effort, but you can tap them out if you have some patience.

Interesting fact: Most 20mm front hubs use the same bearings.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I use a punch for automotive or motorcycle bearings, but I'm always worried about bike parts being a bit delicate so I prefer to tap bearings out with a socket. Which one will fit depends on your sockets, but if you have a full set of metric and standard you can usually find one that fits just right... especially if you have both 6 and 12 point.

If I remember right a 17mm or 18mm socket was about right, but I'm not certain.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Interesting fact: Most 20mm front hubs use the same bearings.
I was wondering about that...

The Phil Wood replacement BB bearings are size 6805 (25mm ID), same as my front hub bearings. The Enduro replacement BB bearings, however, are listed as having a 24mm ID. What's the deal here? Both claim to fit in all Shimano, Race Face, and FSA BBs. I'm slightly concerned because I just ordered the Enduro bearings yesterday and I'd be bummed if they somehow end up being the wrong size.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
All stock bearings use a 25mm inner diameter. They also use a 0.5mm thick plastic spacer/dust shield that snaps on to the bearing to reduce the ID to 24mm. The 24mm ID enduro bearings do not use the spacer so the crank spindle sits directly on the bearing inner race.