Quantcast

Need Help With Rim Choices.

DHRacer001

Chimp
May 9, 2003
I need some help from some of you racers out there with choosing some rims.

I currently have a Mag 30 wheels built on my DH Team, and I want to drop the weight of the bike.

I am looking at:
729's
823's
Singletracks.

I weigh 150lb in gear and am a real smooth rider. I ride mostly light DH trails with some jumps and at most 6-8' drops with transfers and 6' to flat. I dont abuse my equpiment, but I dont want weak sh*t either.

UST is not a big deal in my decision, I can allways go to stans. I just want somthing that will hold up to Northstar in the summer and all around riding while shaving some lbs off my bike.

If you have any suggestions on how to build them too, ie spokes, what nipples... ect that would be awsome.

Thanks
Dave

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
the 729 are the new 321's right??

get those, or whatever the new 521 is, build them up with DT Alpine III, Supercomp, or DB 14/15 spokes and brass nips, and you'll be set!

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Are 321's much lighter than Mag30's? I doubt it. If you're looking to shave some weight, go with the new 521's (whatever the new number is); especially if you're 150# with gear. 321's are overkill for you IMO.

Build with 14/15 DB DT Swiss spokes and aluminum nipples for a light wheel. Al nips if you are a good mechanic and stay on top of your stuff, if you tend not to work on your bike a lot or aren't that good at it get brass nips.

DHRacer001

Chimp
May 9, 2003
According to go-ride the mag 30's are 875 grams, and the 729's new 321's, are 670 grams. The 823, which i guess is the 521 rim, the 3.1, is supposed to be 610 grams.

That a big difference when doubled for both wheels, if you guys think that the 823, which is the 521 would be fine I will probably build those.

Anyone got anything to say about the singletracks???

Thanks
Dave

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by DHRacer001

Anyone got anything to say about the singletracks???

Thanks
Dave
That they are inferior to Mavics?

I'm kidding, I've never owned a set of them.

I've been riding both 521's and 321's mostly at northstar the last few years, both built with dt 2.0 straight gauge spokes. I have never had to do anything more than true them once or twice a summer. I've been really happy with at least those two options.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Originally posted by DHRacer001

That a big difference when doubled for both wheels, if you guys think that the 823, which is the 521 would be fine I will probably build those.
521s are where its at. Im 210 without gear and have 2 521's (both front, straight 14g spokes) one of which is 4 or 5 years old and has taken major abuse. I think theyre the best rim out there. If I were building a DH race bike, Id have dual 521's. If I were building a FS trailbike, Id have dual 521's. If I were building a road bike,...well okay maybe not.

I dont run one on the rear because Im not exactly feathery (both in weight and smoothness), Im on a ht, and I wanted a 24" rim.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am 235 on a good day and not very smooth. I don't go huge, but I am hard on rims. I've been very happy with the singletracks. I will be running them on my next bike as well. A real good rim for the dough.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by Matt D
Al nips if you are a good mechanic and stay on top of your stuff, if you tend not to work on your bike a lot or aren't that good at it get brass nips.
How does brass vs. aluminum make a difference in this situation? Somebody please enlighten me.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
unless your running like 3.0s, at your weight the D521s (EX721s) would be the most ideal IMO. I would hesitate on saying the 823s due to the controversy around them, despite me getting a set in the next few weeks.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by zedro
unless your running like 3.0s, at your weight the D521s (EX721s) would be the most ideal IMO. I would hesitate on saying the 823s due to the controversy around them, despite me getting a set in the next few weeks.
Thats just cause Acadian isn't smooth;) I have 2 pairs of 823's on order right now, and my new Chris King hubs shuld be here within the next day or two:p

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Thats just cause Acadian isn't smooth;) I have 2 pairs of 823's on order right now, and my new Chris King hubs shuld be here within the next day or two:p
what are you gonna be using to build them up with? It'd be nice to take some notes on the spoke tension used and see if any problems arise too.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by zedro
what are you gonna be using to build them up with? It'd be nice to take some notes on the spoke tension used and see if any problems arise too.
I'm building them with DT comp 14/15/14 spokes and 16mm brass nipples. As far as tension, I do it all by feel (been doing it that way for the 10+ years I've been building wheels), So far I've had good luck with my other 823's and the several I've built. Haven't seen any come back to me...........knock on wood.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
hmmm,

now where have i seen a King Hubed, DT DB spoked, EX823 wheelset with 2.8/2.5 Michys and Hope M6 rotors

Poser :p
Lets see.....
I had my rims first, my spokes first, my M6's first and my Michy's first, so I think you're the copy cat.;) I'm just and trying different hubs.

Oh, and a Disco first:p

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Lets see.....
I had my rims first, my spokes first, my M6's first and my Michy's first, so I think you're the copy cat.;) I'm just and trying different hubs.

Oh, and a Disco first:p
I know, im just being a dick, actually i had those rims in Janurary, possibly before you. You will like the king hubs, did you get black ones by any chance.

At least i dont have an 888, white frame, and my Thomson post and Middleburns are Black :)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
I know, im just being a dick, actually i had those rims in Janurary, possibly before you. You will like the king hubs, did you get black ones by any chance.

At least i dont have an 888, white frame, and my Thomson post and Middleburns are Black :)
Nope got my rims in september, and got red ones.

Oh and did I also mention, both Karpiels were the color I ordered;)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Alloy nipples tend to break, It's not recommended to us an alloy nipples for DH use.
i'd say otherwise. with a good build, they're reliable. i've been running them forever; though i'm not heavy (165#), i go relatively large, race expert dh & ride knarley trail, blah, blah, & have never had an alloy nipple fail - tho i've broken a several spokes @ the elbow. i've got an alloy-nippled, titanium spoked tioga front rim thats into its 3rd season on my v10. i've got heavier friends with similar experiences as well. in my experience, unless you're heavy or particularily hackish, alloy nips are fine.