Quantcast

need info about racing series

TrekBro

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Greensboro NC
where I can get info to get into races for the NC state championship? if there is a championship. Any web site? Im interested in DH, 4X, Dual slalom and freeride. :cheers:

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
i dont think that there is a state championship in nc. just not enough mountains have dh races in nc anymore. all we got now is sugar and darkmountain, and sugar is on the national race circuit. sorry bro.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
ohh dude i wasnt saying that there wasnt dh im just saying that there werent enough mountains to have a state cup. sugar opens up all summer, and dark mountain is the same way. there are plenty of dh trails in the area to warent a dh bike and hey snowshoe is only 5 hrs away, and then windrock is about 2 so deffinatly keep the dh rig man.:cheers:

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
its not about elevation its about the number of race courses that we have. only one that is lift accessable and the other is a push to the top, and well if you have rode fontana you know that isnt technically a dh course.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Yep, I think its time to get all the old Ski resorts to start letting us put on races again. I really miss the old MADRA Series. It was our South East Championship DH and DS race series. That was the good old days!!!!!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
thanks, hmm I think I have to sell the big bike and get a XC racing bike... just kidding I will look for races in the region.

I'm in discussion with Wolf Laurel again about holding races in 2007, either 1 or 2 max....not 3 yr as in the past. It'll be all winter long before we can finalize anything though.

I'd kill to get Cataloochee and Beech interested again, but it's tough going even getting them to meet with you.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
I'm in discussion with Wolf Laurel again about holding races in 2007, either 1 or 2 max....not 3 yr as in the past. It'll be all winter long before we can finalize anything though.

I'd kill to get Cataloochee and Beech interested again, but it's tough going even getting them to meet with you.
Butch if you need help or want me to focus on any other ski resorts let me know and I will be glad to put some time in to help out. I wish I had the time like I did in the past to help, but you know what that's like now.

It would be great to get a series back in the South East again.

The South East Will Rise Again!!!!! :banana:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I think that has been our problem in the recent years. We don't have the riders and promoters to put on a series. Why not just concentrate on getting one maybe two more good quality races and start with that. Dark Mtn seems to be pretty established. If we could get another race at Wolf that would be awesome. Thats one less long distance race I need to travel to.

We have talked about a SUPER downhill at Windrock (not Super D, but a 10+ minute DH run), but sometimes it hard to get enough people to shuttle here in Knoxville, let alone put on a race. Time will tell.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
since i've lived here.
the only two folks who have ever promoted any races of significance are butch and terry hinton.

i've seen terry catch verbal grief and low turnouts for all his effort.
i'm sure butch has put up with the same.
not the greatest scene to get motivated for.

it was the same for the races we had up here too.
lots of effort for a low turnout and grief from some riders.

i totally agree about having maybe just one or possibly two events that are set up far enough apart that people (riders and promoters)will have time to get prepared for.
and don't make them any part of a "series".
if they're first rate enough, they'll stand on their own.

snowshoe already has set the standard for what a series should be.
a large amount of up front $$$ and a set in stone venue.
not some n.c. ski resort who's owners don't share our passion.

as far as the rock is concerned.
our focus is on expanding the trailsystem.
a few rather large pieces of the puzzle will need to fall into place before racing will set sail here again.
but i'll be here to set them in place if that ever happens.

all of us here in the south are in such a "geogrphically undesirable" part of the country.
that's always going to be our biggest hurdle.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
How about we try this...

F' fancy prizes
F' T-shirts
F' Series points

Just get a good course, shuttle trucks or lift, a couple prizes from Maxxis/Cane Creek/I9/Morewood, maybe a couple kegs from local brewery, small payout for pro class, and have fun.

TrekBro

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Greensboro NC
I dont know if someone tried this before, to get persmission to build a DH or DS course at the these mountains that we have near Winston Salem and Greensboro, Im talking about Pilot mountain and the Hanging rock state park.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
since i've lived here.
the only two folks who have ever promoted any races of significance are butch and terry hinton.
You left out Jeremy R., Matt Griffin, and my self. We all help Butch as a team to put on those races. That’s most of all the old MADRA races. A lot of people seem to forget we all put on those races. Butch does have claim to pulling in Wolf as a venue, "I don't want to leave out credit where its dew", but we all help build and put on those races.

I do hope Butch can pull Wolf back. It would be great!!!!
:cheers:

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
How about we try this...

F' fancy prizes
F' T-shirts
F' Series points

Just get a good course, shuttle trucks or lift, a couple prizes from Maxxis/Cane Creek/I9/Morewood, maybe a couple kegs from local brewery, small payout for pro class, and have fun.
Minus the beer and shuttle it worked great at Chuck's. Beer would have made it better.
Keep it simple for the promoter; pro and am class until the numbers justify more. The key word is FUN.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
MADHRA was awesome in concept becuase it was intended to be orchestrated by the riders for the riders. But it degraded when after about the first season of events we backed, it wound up being me, my pregnant wife, Jeremy, Cecil and Matt (a select few others I didn't mention who tried hard too-steve, rebecca, and so forth) out on a mountain by ourselves and everybody asking "what is MADHRA doing for me?"...when the people were supposed to be asking "What can I do for MADHRA?"

Doug speaks truth though. We NEVER had less than 70 riders at Wolf...and not a single rock on that mountain. But we had a lift, a FAST lift....and fun trails each time, actually a different course for every race.

Everyone knew going in that they were there for the ride and the race, not the prizes and the amenities. If I have Wolf again, it's going to be a gathering place for DH'ers. If I can get big prize money and fat prizes, I will. But go expecting to pin it and grin...BYOB.

But right now...I'm pretty certain everyone would be thrilled to have a no frills race there and some good camping in the parking lots.

Oh...and final chest thump for MADHRA, SEI Racing and the southern crew.... 118 RACERS at the final WOLF LAUREL RACE :D

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
butch you talked a lot about wolf laurel at the super d you put on, and if there is anything that me and my crew can do to help just let us know. we all know that dh in the nc is deffinatly lacking but i think if we could get wolf and catalloochi to open back up to us that would deffinatly get the fire started. :cheers:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
MADHRA was awesome in concept becuase it was intended to be orchestrated by the riders for the riders. But it degraded when after about the first season of events we backed, it wound up being me, my pregnant wife, Jeremy, Cecil and Matt (a select few others I didn't mention who tried hard too-steve, rebecca, and so forth) out on a mountain by ourselves and everybody asking "what is MADHRA doing for me?"...when the people were supposed to be asking "What can I do for MADHRA?"

Doug speaks truth though. We NEVER had less than 70 riders at Wolf...and not a single rock on that mountain. But we had a lift, a FAST lift....and fun trails each time, actually a different course for every race.

Everyone knew going in that they were there for the ride and the race, not the prizes and the amenities. If I have Wolf again, it's going to be a gathering place for DH'ers. If I can get big prize money and fat prizes, I will. But go expecting to pin it and grin...BYOB.

But right now...I'm pretty certain everyone would be thrilled to have a no frills race there and some good camping in the parking lots.

Oh...and final chest thump for MADHRA, SEI Racing and the southern crew.... 118 RACERS at the final WOLF LAUREL RACE :D
Can someone give him a AMEN????:cheers:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Thats sounds awesome. What needs to happen to make that possible?
the brief discussion thus far has been this. I advised them I'd orchastrate the race and the logistics of it and be the guy answering stupid questions, but that they need to put together their own budget, web page, ads in the lodge and put it on their websites calender and their information emails to skiers, etc.

Essentially, I told them I will run THEIR event and they can do the promotions and marketing. Who knows. Orville is tough to read sometimes, but he's always cool to us. When the snow falls, I'll have my snowboard out to "meet" with them....:brows:

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
where I can get info to get into races for the NC state championship? if there is a championship. Any web site? Im interested in DH, 4X, Dual slalom and freeride. :cheers:
BMCC is hosting a Super D series in the spring and it looks like we'll acquire state championship status for it...still pending NORBA approval. We haven't updated our website (www.bmcc.us) or issued any fliers yet but will shorty after we receive the go from NORBA. Either way the series should be pretty fun and then add on Cecil's super D races and the season promises to start off with a bang.:cheers:

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
ohh and for all the brave souls that want to freeze to death there is always the icycle in february. deffinalty a down home grassroots race.:cheers: hope we have helped you out a little bit trekbro.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
there is a huge possibility of that. ill talk to my boys and see what they are up for, but if they bail again you can count me in.:biggrin:

TrekBro

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Greensboro NC
Super D sounds good.
thanks Guard
stolen from BMCC.

March 2007 Super D Race Dark Mountain

//the Brushy Mtn Cyclists Club (BMCC) is planning to host a Super D series in March. The series will consist of three races at Dark Mtn. The course will include parts of the Burn loop and the downhill course. The race format will be best of two runs and timing will be conducted by stop watches...i.e. chance for human error. Confused That said we are staging this series to be more about having fun and to offer some fun racing before other series crank up.

In order to control expenses, the top three finishers in each category will receive metals at each individual race and the top five series points finishers in each category will receive prizes. Entry fee will be $20 per class unless we can pick up some cash sponsors between now and then. We will provide nourishment after each race...sub-sandwich.:cheers:

For thoses that are not familiar with Super D, its sort of like a downhill race where you race from point A to B with the exception that there are some slight uphills. Super D basically combines elements of both XC and DH...fun for all!!! Mr. Green

We are just starting the process of putting this series together so additional information will be posted as soon as possible. And if anyone knows of potential sponsors to help support this series please let me know. Thanks! //

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
sounds to me like matt, ellen and co. get a big double A+ for all the effort they put in on the little slice they've developed.

we're right in the middle of working on very long d.h. routes that might be super D material.
(all except the x-c bike and climbing part though.)