Quantcast

need Jeep Cherokee electrical help

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
My brake lights don't come on.

It appears that my rear lights have three bulbs -- reverse, turn and it appears that brakes and driving lights share the same bulb. The manual doesn't show a fuse dedicated to the brake lights, but seperate fuses for each other bulb/use. All the others work.

Is the only possibility a fault in the wire between the brakes and where it connects into the system? I replaced the bulbs recently and the guy at the auto store looked up the replacement bulb, but maybe there's a dual-light bulb and I bought a single function one? Maybe another problem I can't think of?

Just looking for some help before I talk to a mechanic cuz I'm thinking electrical troubleshooting will cost a lot.

TIA!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Hey Loopie do you live near Colorado Springs? I'm just asking cos Partsy is gonna be moving there soon and I know you're looking for mates. Maybe a PM would be in order? Whaddya reckon? Anyway, good luck with the vehicle, I'll probably be visiting Parsty sometime in the next few years, if ya wanna get together for a Cherokee troubleshooting session I'll be there mate, I'm sure I could drag Partsy along if ya want?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
heh, thanks, but I'd rather troubleshoot now instead of waiting for you to get here.

As for you visiting, yeah man, let me know when you get here, we'll grab a beer. If you want to ride, well, I, umm, err, have been mostly on pavement the last two years... and, well, my dirt skills have gone into the crapper. Got schooled a couple weeks back by a lady friend of mine who's primary sport is skating. Ugh.

EDIT: Denver is about an hour north of C.Springs.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Do both lights not work? You said you checked the fuses...did you check all of them? Bulbs are bulbs. Most cars use the same brake lights and driving lights. Do the turn signals work? Do the reverse lights work?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
LordOpie said:
heh, thanks, but I'd rather troubleshoot now instead of waiting for you to get here.

As for you visiting, yeah man, let me know when you get here, we'll grab a beer. If you want to ride, well, I, umm, err, have been mostly on pavement the last two years... and, well, my dirt skills have gone into the crapper. Got schooled a couple weeks back by a lady friend of mine who's primary sport is skating. Ugh.

EDIT: Denver is about an hour north of C.Springs.
Loopie it'll be a while for me mate but I know for a fact that Partsy has a huge wandalini for a Loopie N8 Shirley wandathon. When he gets there don't waste time getting ya own evil self known to him, I know for a fact he's already put the mates radar out. He specifically asked for you. :nuts: :rolleyes: :help: :eek: ;)