Quantcast

Need monkey feedback on a truck I just checked out.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
2002 Chevy Silverado 4x4 1500 long bed. Automatic. King Cab. Vinyl seating.
http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/3297797418.html

Pluses:
$4500!!!
Looks well maintained under the hood
4.8L

Minuses:
Rusted edge at the bottom of the panel below both rear cab doors
Bubbling paint on the gas cap cover
No privacy ten on the rear windows or back glass
No sliding glass
AC is out
E brake cable broken
I brought my code rear and it was showing a P0332

It was a fleet vehicle. His buddy bought at a government auction and had for a while, then he bought it with 160k on it and has but 13k on. Said he sold their pop up trailer and is getting a 28' in the spring, so he's going to get a 2500 diesel 4 door.

I like that it has the camper shell. Price seems to be $1500-2000 below what it should be, but he "acts" not worried. Daughter plays travel ball like mine, but is 15.

Anybody drive these?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Move the 4.8 to the minus side

Read more of the post..... ac is out, could be looking at a 1200 dollar repair, I do not remember the code off hand give me a few I will do the google, but I just picked upi an expedition with the 5.4 for 4k and all these issues your listing do not exist. There are better deals to be had for sure, if he were to start talking 2800 to 3000... well then... but you can find something better taken care of with everything working for that price

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Knock sensor code.... you will find the need to remove and replace the upper intake manifold, replace both knock sensors, modify the insulation underneath and replace teh harness.....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Have never seen a Silverado pop up for less than $6 so got excited. I'll get my mechanic to quote me the repairs for the ac compressor & knock sensors and offer him a silly amount. Now..if it were lifted, I think I'd be less rational. Thanks for keeping me level headed. Feel like for that many question marks, it should be a full leather Z71.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
You should be able to pick up a base model 2004 F150 for about the same price. The V6 isn't bad. I have/had a 2005 with about 130k miles. The V6 is fine for everything if you aren't towing a lot of heavy stuff and easily gets 17mpg or more on the interstate. Good for a full size truck.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Have never seen a Silverado pop up for less than $6 so got excited. I'll get my mechanic to quote me the repairs for the ac compressor & knock sensors and offer him a silly amount. Now..if it were lifted, I think I'd be less rational. Thanks for keeping me level headed. Feel like for that many question marks, it should be a full leather Z71.
For those two alone your looking $1800-$2000...... give or take a few benji's

I only say compressor because it was a common failure, a lot of time people think it is just a broken belt, but those has a terrible habit of the valves sticking in the compressor which is what makes the belt break in the first place.... If you see the ac belt is gone... then you know for sure.

Last edited:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Knock sensor code.... you will find the need to remove and replace the upper intake manifold, replace both knock sensors, modify the insulation underneath and replace teh harness.....
Only time I see knock sensor failures on the 4.8 is when the owner pressure washes the engine or gets the engine bay detailed. SMH every time.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Only time I see knock sensor failures on the 4.8 is when the owner pressure washes the engine or gets the engine bay detailed. SMH every time.
Yup, I get a lot of that here in town, on both the 4.8 and the 5.3.... I do not advertise for people to stop either, Its a good money maker. My money is on that is exactly what happened too....

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I have a 2005 silverado 1500 w/ the V6. Mine is the base model fleet truck, long bed standard cab, 5spd. I like my truck - got a screaming deal ($6200 w/ 60k) on it because the previous owner kept running it into walls and such, the body isn't clean.

The v6 is fine except for climbing at highway speed and towing things at highway speed. With the stick I average 17-19 mpg and have hit 23 mpg on a drive across Southern Idaho with a tail wind.

Another plus is the 600+ mile range the 32 g tank allows.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Yup, I get a lot of that here in town, on both the 4.8 and the 5.3.... I do not advertise for people to stop either, Its a good money maker. My money is on that is exactly what happened too....
I'm guessing you're right. It was detailed inside and out and I'm sure he probably hosed it before I got there. Daughter didn't like it b/c she slid across the rear seat from all the Armor All. :D

Did a little more craigslisting and way better deals with lots more bells/histles.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
the 4.8 is a durable engine, but the 5.3 is a great engine. I can't imagine the 4.8 would be any fun at all in the hills/mountains.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I'm still driving my 2001 (bought in 02) Silverado LT Z71 5.3, has over 180,000K on it. The only major expenses, 2 water pumps & 2 fuel pumps. Best truck I've ever owned!!!!!

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
The mountains is ironically why I hate my blazer. Tons of mechanics have played tune up on it at different times and never fixed the thing that makes it choke itself off when running 2500 rpms or more. DirtyMike has given me several clues on it, but I'm done. It's got to be some hidden electrical problem and I've yet to find the medicine man capable of curing the cancer. Time to move on. :(

I drive out our office door and up a 6% grade within an 1/8 mile of the office door. Our mountains aren't huge, but they're steep.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
The mountains is ironically why I hate my blazer. Tons of mechanics have played tune up on it at different times and never fixed the thing that makes it choke itself off when running 2500 rpms or more. DirtyMike has given me several clues on it, but I'm done. It's got to be some hidden electrical problem and I've yet to find the medicine man capable of curing the cancer. Time to move on. :(

I drive out our office door and up a 6% grade within an 1/8 mile of the office door. Our mountains aren't huge, but they're steep.
6%? heck, I have a 9% grade here in flatland michigan less than a mile from my house! that aint steep.....except our 9% hill is probably less than a 500 ft vert top to bottom....

the 9-11% grades we encountered on the way to massanutten were steep, even my 7.3 diesel told me it was working hard.

Seriously though, the 5.3 is a good motor, I am actually looking to off my superduty and go down to a half ton truck again and I am pretty much sold on a 5.3 (i've owned two, my first had over 185k with only a bad o2 sensor).

My 7.3 diesel is a great truck with 215k on it, but I don't ever tow anymore, so its overkill.