Quantcast

Need Network Help

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
I did not set up the network here but I am kinda in charge of it. I have setup every computer to hook up to the network with little to no problems. Now we have a new computer and it will not access the server. I have tried to hook it up the same way that worked for every other computer at our office.

Everything runs through a switch. I check the server computer user groups and his computer is there but I can't access it even with file sharing turned on. It can access the internet though which runs from the modem to the switch so I know its connecting.

Can anyone help me please.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Are you logging on through a domain?

If yes, have you joined the computer to the domain or is it still trying to get into a workgroup?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
When you say you can't access the computer, you mean it's showing up as an entity in the workgroup, but anything you have manually shared out in the computer isn't showing up?

Have you tried re-running the network connection wizard? Start/Programs/Accessories/Communications: Network Setup Wizard

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
When you say you can't access the computer, you mean it's showing up as an entity in the workgroup, but anything you have manually shared out in the computer isn't showing up?
Have you tried re-running the network connection wizard? Start/Programs/Accessories/Communications: Network Setup Wizard
The new computer can't access the server computer, but the server computer shows the new computer in its workgroup.
I have re-ran network wizard countless times, had every computer on the network shut down except the new one and still no luck.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you share something on the local computer, can the server access the share?

What happens if you try manually accessing the server from the problem computer via typing \\server\share into the address bar?

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
If you share something on the local computer, can the server access the share?
What happens if you try manually accessing the server from the problem computer via typing \\server\share into the address bar?
Nothing happens?
What I don't understand is, why is the problem computer showing up in the workgroup of all the computers connected to the server, and why is the server not showing up in the problem computer. I appreciate your help BV

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sorry, I forgot about this thread.

When you try to browse "My Network Places" with the new computer, what's it tell you? Does it just list no other computers? Does it give you a permission denied message?

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
Sorry, I forgot about this thread.
When you try to browse "My Network Places" with the new computer, what's it tell you? Does it just list no other computers? Does it give you a permission denied message?
I forgot that when we bought this computer it came with Norton. I turned off windows fire wall and I couldn't connect. When we turned off Norton's fire wall it connected no problem. Thanks for the help though, I really appreciated it :clapping::clapping: