Quantcast

Need new laptop - long question

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Situation is Heathrow security broke my IBM t42 in half (literally) this spring. I've gotten by without a personal computer since then, but am starting to really need one as I look at possible working elsewhere next year. So I need a new laptop, but everyone offers a dizzying number of model numbers that I can't tell the difference between. I would love to go Mac, but I'm a PC power-user by trade (live on excel and ppt) so don't think I can unless I run parallels on a Powerbook which is unfortunately out ofmy price range.

USE
Will be using it for business and personal. May be overseas (Shanghai) next year. Current company is on HP which has left me with some pricey accessories (dock and batteries), previous company was on IBM/Lenovo which left me with the extended battery.

At home, it WILL be a music server but I think anything with wireless and a hard-drive can cover that.

I am not friendly to laptops and have been through roughly 6 HPs in the last 2 years depending on how you count harddrives vs chassis. However, my previous Thinkpad (T42) lasted two years of similar abuse or worse and never flinched. I am STRONGLY partial to Lenovos as a result.

I'm adept enough to upgrade hard-drives and memory myself, immediately or down the road as needed.

SOFTWARE MIN RQTS
I own my own licenses to XP Pro and Office 2007 Pro, and plan to wipe the laptop clean of Vista upon purchase.

Will probably run Adobe consumer versions of PS and Illustrator

HARDWARE MIN RQTS
I would really really really like my next laptop to have DVI output rather than VGA. Will be using it dual-screen at home with a 22" 1650x1050 display most of the time, and hooking up to 720p projector sometimes.

Definitely want a high-res display and think a 14.1" WXGA+ fits the bill. LED backlighting would be nice for battery life.

Multi-media (surround sound, etc.) is NOT important to me. I may watch the odd movie on a plane, but I have a real home theater and don't need much from my laptop.

Processors, I'm out of the loop. Intel Core 2 Duo, but not sure how fast I need or what the difference is between 8xxx series and 9xxx series.

I'm open to buying used or eBay but given my history I probably need a 3 year warranty/damage insurance. I'm trying to keep it under $1000, if possible. Basically the question is, which Lenovo would you buy and where can I get a deal on it? If it wouldn't be a Lenovo, why?

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you make the DVI connector a requirement to your search, you severely limit your options - and several of the options then become the extremely high end machines.

I can give some more specific recommendations later (i.e. not at work) but my experience with ThinkPads has been overwhelmingly positive, especially when it comes to durability. I like 12" laptops rather than 14+ inch screens simply from a size perspective...

Lenovo + LED backlighting for under $1,000 might be pushing it though.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Like BV says you limit options with DVI requirement though if you only need the DVI at home you could go for a notebook with a port replicator/docking station.

You can also include laptops with HDMI ports as you just need cheap adapter for those to run DVI.

Its not as pretty but any notebook with an expresscard can do DVI via new generic docks up to 16x12 like you want but I'd recommend something with a proprietary stand alone port replicator/docking station.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Yeah, perusal shows DVI is few and far between. Ridiculous given that ALL external displays now run DVI. WTF do I want a VGA port for? HDMI would definitely be an option, but everything I can find with one is a bloated "home/multimedia" machine of questionable durability.

Lenovo is running 25% off and there's a stackable 10% coupon (USPGREATSAVINGS) that expires tonight, which actually brings a t400 with a 14.1" LED WXGA+ and the Intel T8400 in under $1000. $1200 with a 3 year warranty incl. damage coverage. Too bad I don't have the balls to buy it right now...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Geez...you may want to wait and see if Apple updates the Macbooks in a little over a week.

Even if you wipe it and just run XP on it, it's probably the closest thing to want you want, except for the damage warranty.

That's a big exception, of course...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Geez...you may want to wait and see if Apple updates the Macbooks in a little over a week.

Even if you wipe it and just run XP on it, it's probably the closest thing to want you want, except for the damage warranty.

That's a big exception, of course...
If I wipe it, I lose most of the value of a Mac, except the DVI output. I'm more confident in the durability of Lenovo hardware than Apple hardware. It's not necessarily higher quality, but I'm pretty sure it's tougher.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The new macbooks changed the plans here. Now I'm debating between a refurb old Macbook Pro and a new Macbook (alum enclosure), both priced around $1250-$1300. I've got an XP license so plan to run duals.

Seems like I get more screen and discrete graphics with the old Pro, but everything else is inline if not better in the Macbook. The newest integrated graphics are pretty good and more battery efficient. Any reason I should go Pro assuming similar processor (2.2 or 2.4 Core 2 Duo)?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The new macbooks changed the plans here. Now I'm debating between a refurb old Macbook Pro and a new Macbook (alum enclosure), both priced around $1250-$1300. I've got an XP license so plan to run duals.

Seems like I get more screen and discrete graphics with the old Pro, but everything else is inline if not better in the Macbook. The newest integrated graphics are pretty good and more battery efficient. Any reason I should go Pro assuming similar processor (2.2 or 2.4 Core 2 Duo)?
Go with the old MBP.

Better connectivity, no stupid displayport adaptor to carry around, and a matte screen if you want it.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Go with the old MBP.

Better connectivity, no stupid displayport adaptor to carry around, and a matte screen if you want it.
12345. i'd also go with a refurb MBP given this choice.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
And I proceed to ignore all advice...

The kicker for me was the true multitouch pad on the new macbook. Three or even four fingers? it's a like a trip to my favorite proctologist!

Mini displayport to DVI adapter is $20, digital audio out through mini SPDIF, a couple USB ports and that's all I need. I don't run any firewire accessories. That left the screen real-estate (and matte screen) as the only upsides to the Pro.

The new construction is way nicer. Given my past laptop abuse and the fact that the smaller size is a bit more convenient and I just wasn't able to keep talking myself out of the new one. Done. Psyched.