Quantcast

Need New Pedals

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
so my A-frame are dead after about 2 years, and i am in the market for new pedals. I want to try something new so no A-frame, and Speedplays. So, do any of you have other good ideas for flat pedals, the biger/wider the platform the better, the stickyer the better, and I would need them to be durable and light. when i say durable i mean replaceable/rebuildable:

Here are a few i was considering

Syncros mentals
AtomLab aircor
Tioga
CrankBro 50/50 xx
NYC freeride
Dark cycles

Looking into the smaller companys, but will consider all.

thanks
-Zac

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
As much as I love CB, don't get the 5050s. They have the exact OPPOSITE shape of what you want in a flat pedal. That is to say, it is convex instead of concave. It is higher in the middle over the axle.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
omfg syncros mental pedals. They are like using haxzors to keep your feet on the pedal. Plus they are invincible. Sersiouly, Anything that holds up on my hardtail is worth the money. And those pedals are still like new after countless drops to flat from medium height, poorly executed bunny hop 180's/360's, etc. mental, heavy but the best

MaD666MaX

Monkey
Jul 24, 2004
Montreal
i would say tioga in your choices

why not speedplay drillium? i bought those after my syncros and they kick ass, grips alot but not toooo much, light and bombproof with resonable weight, concave too

i had syncros that i sold to dhrider, they were gripping like hell, even too much and were indestructible but damn, it was like if i had 2 set of pedals on my bike!(900g, stainless version) if you go syncros get the alu or mag ones

dgrif

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
colo spigs
i dunno man, has anybody rode those monoblocks? The just dont look like they'd grip that great. I hear they have like.. griptape or something for them? I dunno.. they're "blingy" and all but im not convinced they'd be that good..

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
As much as I love CB, don't get the 5050s. They have the exact OPPOSITE shape of what you want in a flat pedal. That is to say, it is convex instead of concave. It is higher in the middle over the axle.
couldnt agree with this statement more, bought a pair and hated them! Went back to my old favorite the tioga mx's...I would really like to try a pair of the super low profile atom labs though...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
If I could make some suggestions:

The Syncros pedals have ridiculous grip - a buddy of mine had them on his bike and I tried them out. With 5.10's they're like velcro, but it's a bit of a struggle to re-position your foot with all that grip.

I'm looking for a new set of pedals myself, and have been checking these out:

Funn Soljam Viper
Speedplay Drillium

Both have a nice platform shape AND are concave.

The Funn Soljams are a bit smaller than the Drilliums if that makes a difference for you.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yes, agree the new Atom Lab looks great.

I am on NYC freeride race pedals same pair second season and I got them used. I don't know if Andy is producing any at the moment but if you are very interested I can try to find out.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Just got a set of Atomlab Aircorps pedals and ran them in the wet of Jiminy Peak this weekend - loved them. Great grip, low profile and they are solid - look kind of like a flat boy rip off.

I went the cheap route prior this year and broke 2 sets of of Ringle Zu Zu pedals -loved how they felt but I was constantly shearing off a piece here and there...

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I've been running A frames for a few years too and am considering changing once they finally die.

I really want to try the Mag DMR V12's. Pretty light, and they have gotten very good reviews.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have the 5050xx's, Atom Labs Trail Kings, and Shimano DX flats...

The 5050xx's stock pins suck. But if you change those out to set screws then they are ok. The feel isn't that of the other's I have but it gets the job done.

The Atom Lab's grip pretty good, decent pins, bearings are great, really a nice set of pedals. I guess the newer one's are even thinner which might be good.........here where we bash them against rocks it's like....a little more meat please.

The DX's are what I love. They grip well, feel stable, but the pins suck if you break them off they are hard to remove. Atom labs and crank bro's if they break for any reason atleast you can still find a way to get them off. Otherwise you're stuck with holes that you can't remove the pins from.

You really won't go wrong with any higher end pedal. I like them all......but if I was in the market for a new set I think I'd aim at the new Atom lab's stuff. The aircorp looks like a winner!

nycurse

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
azonic fusion or one of azonics new 2007 pedals that will be coming out in a week or two. The fusions are like $40.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
okay ill look into 07 Azonic pedlas, and those MAG DMR v12's, how light are they and are the low profile?

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
the DMRs are nice and grippy, the old shcool dx design. I find them way small.

I got a set of wellgo lu-a52 for a pittance. cheapest cartridge bearing low profile pedal out there. they have both kinds of setscrews, in stainless. Awesome for the price, not the perfect concave for me but they aren't all that different from other stuff so i don't think that would bther anyone else.

if i feel like spending some money i'll probably get some Straitlines. (and save about 20g) very nice pedals! http://www.straitlinecomponents.com/products/pedals.php

and if i was in the mood, i think the next nicest are either Syncros or Penthouse flats. In fact i'm always tempted to just get some stainless Syncros and be done with it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Tioga MX Pro. For the money they can't be beat. I've ridden Wellgos, A-frames, Fusions, MTXs, Zu-zus, Funns, etc, etc, and I CAN'T find a pedal I prefer to the Tiogas. I would, however, like to try some of those new atomlabs.

A-frames don't last and they're too tall, same with Fusions. The Azonic MTX things don't last either. Zuzus are too small. Funns are good but the pins tear out easily and they're a bit thick.

On my Tiogas, I hit a rock with like all my weight going like 20. It bent the pin all the way back so it was touching the body, but it didn't tear out the pin at all.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
SS Syncros Mentals with the differerent pins. The stock pins are a little too much. The pedals are super heavy.

If you want a light tough pedal the Xpedo MX-3 pedals are super light and strong. Take a look at them. I ran them for awhile and liked em and I have a few buddys that run them on all their bikes. The MX-3 weighs about 415g, which is super light.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
wow i like the new Azonic pedals, does anyone know when they will be out. I liked my old ones, but they were a little heavy and a pain to fix. But the new ones look promising.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I have older atomlab aircoprs that I absolutely love. They have a bad rep for bearings and such however, although I heard the new ones are all bushings?
With you 100%. I have a pair of the older aircorps (one bearing one bushing) and they have lived through 50 ish days @ whistler and local riding with out a prob. I have a new (no bearing).

I think that shape and traction is paramount, and the bearing issues are 'non-isssues'. Here is why..The bearings are about 50 cents, and can be foud at ANY bearing store. When i get a set of 'better' pedals, i pull a bearing and buy 4 of them. That way if a bearing goes, just swap it out..

The Tiogas are VERY similar in size, grip, and concave to the a-corps. Both are great 'open' designs that are light, shed mud, and provide great grip.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
the only pedals im considering now are:

434/pr

370ishg/pr (weight not out, but guess from looking at the Aframe)

450g/pr

270g/pr

leaning for the aircorp and straitline pedals: like the shape more and best pin placement, however it hard for me to find a review about these things and i don't really trust the weights i found, however becuase the a-labs are so light those look like the winner so far.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
can someone help me narrow down my list....any bad experiences with anyof thesem and really good experience, and any updated info on Azonic stuff

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i don't think the others are per pair either, that would make the strait-line lighter than the a-lab and the a-lab have rep. for being the lightest thinnest plat-form pedal