Quantcast

Need New Pedals

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
i don't think the others are per pair either, that would make the strait-line lighter than the a-lab and the a-lab have rep. for being the lightest thinnest plat-form pedal
Pretty much anything heavier than 400g is per pair, unless it's Syncros. :dead:

Dude, trust me when I say go Tioga.

And A-lab doesn't really have the rep of being light. Their new pedals are thin but not that light.

If you want light get Wellgo mags with ti axles, but be warned that the pins don't like to stay in very long.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
where can i check out their stuff (tioga), because i can't find those on their site, only the artsy chrome ones

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
not really what i am looking at, but i narrowed it down to the straitlines, and the tioga pedals, like the fact they are concave

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
and can support lots of pins if needed, also heard good stuff from all of them and they are not that heavy

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I wouldn't buy atomlabs myself.

My mate had an old style pair and killed them in a couple of months.

Another friend just got the new style aircorps with the "red ring" preload system, its just a wave washer to preload the bushings. BOTH of them snapped within 3 days on his pedal allowing 3-4mm of side to side play. Fairly pathetic, and enough to turn me off getting some.

If your going to get atom labs i would say go for the trail pimps, a little bit fatter but they have a normal preload system, still flatter then alot of pedlas out there. I must say that the atom labs are very, very low profile which is the biggest point going for them.

I run aframes myself and have been very happy with them.

I wouldn't recomend easton pedals, and if you have large feet i also wouldn't think about getting the v8's, too small for big people imo.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
There were a lot of pedals recommended in there... didn't read them all, but I will after I post this, and maybe edit as necessary (I feel it my duty to get this information out as soon as possible).
My Shimano MX-30s have outlasted every other pedal I have had, and done a great job. I've had them for 2.5 years now, and they're still awesome! I recently took them apart for an overhaul because they spun too easily, and all I had to do the spindle was tighten the preload on the bearings a little. They were still packed with clean grease!! They feel like new. The pins are awesome because they're smaller, offering more penetrating grip into your shoe. They shear off easier, but the tradeoff is worth it.
If I was going to consider any other pedal, I would consider the ones from Straitline. Those look awesome, have good pins (sharp = good), and are light with Ti spindles (heck, they're light with CroMo spindles!). Good shape, sweet colors (especially X-Ray), innovative spindle/bearing design.
If not those two, I would at least get some Woodman pins to put into my pedals as they are way better than just the big old set screws as those just don't seem to grip all that much, even when new.
I have also been interested in the Specialized bronze pedals (can't find much info, but I hear they're great), the Tioga drilled flats, the Easton Flatboys and Cullys (discontinued).
Here's what not to get:
Funn Soljam Vipers
Sun Ringle Octane
Any pedal over 600g/pair (most DH flats are, and if you care about weight, you owe it to yourself to do some research and lighten your bike while you have the option. There are light pedals out there that are durable, strong, and grip well.
I would say to stay away from pedals w/o sealed cartridge bearings, but my MX-30's are loose bearing, and they have held up better than any cartridge bearing pedal I've heard of. I guess it depends on how well you seal the loose bearings, and the quality of the steel. Cheap loose-bearing pedals are to be stayed away from.
Stay away from pedals that don't have pins everywhere, but not too many. If you have too many, they don't sink into your shoes well enough.
Stay away from Magnesium pedals as the metal is softer, and not durable.
Looks like for the money get the Tioga's, but if and when I need to replace my Shimano's, I'll get another pair (if I can resist the ever-present allure to try new things). I'm not sure what the quality of the bearings/bushings is like on the Tiogas though, but the platform looks good.
Good luck!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
thank you you have solved it for me, i am ordering new pedals this weekend if not earlier thank you, but again i will be looking back here until that time for any other ideas

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Why not get the Tioga's since they're still available, even if they're DC'ed? They're not expensive, and certainly way cheaper than the Straitlines. Or, if not the Tioga's, why not the Shimano's? They're not bad on price either. I thought the only buyer for the Straitlines would be the person with money to burn, though I don't know how much the pedals actually cost (their stem is $150).

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
wow, really that would make the difference, if someone can help me out with pricing that would be cool, and yeah i would then go for the tiogas, thing is with shimano, i haven't heard much about their flats, and i don't really know if i can trust them, but i will look into it do you mine telling me which one you recomend.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
You are totally the king of not reading every post, aren't you?
I gave you a link a couple posts ago (in my longer post) as to where you could find the Tioga's for cheap, as well as the Shimano's. I ride the Shimano's, and my experience recommends them, but I bet the Tioga's are good too. The Specialized pedals are also cool (2 cartridge bearings, one bushing and one needle bearing per pedal!), but they're magnesium, so will wear out quicker.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
are they concaved at all, and are the wide (i don't like narrow pedals, so the closer to 4" the better) sorry im going to look at your old post right after this

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
It tiogas or now these, if they are in a decent price range, anyone see these guys up at interbike?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
for people who like alrge platform i would look into the 110mmX100mm

something like 4.4"X4"

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
The spindle is weak and prone to failure. They're also heavy. And they have lots of those big pins, which when not new, don't offer much grip (either replace the pins a few times/season, or run with less pins). They have griptape. Who uses griptape on a pedal, seriously??

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
The spindle is weak and prone to failure. They're also heavy. And they have lots of those big pins, which when not new, don't offer much grip (either replace the pins a few times/season, or run with less pins). They have griptape. Who uses griptape on a pedal, seriously??

I disagree. I have run the FUNN pedals all year and have not had one problem with the spindles. And this is coming from someone who breaks alot of pedals from plowing them into the ground. Both the spindle and pedal body have held up fine.
The 06 models are somewhat hefty but considering where the weight is, directly under your feet, nice and low, and centered on the bike, the weight really doesnt effect anything. Either way the 07 model has been slimmed down and dropped some weight.
I do not know how anyone can have an issue with the grip. The only other pedals I would consider running are Easton Cullys and a select few of the AtomLab models- both of which have stellar grip, and the FUNN pedals are right on par with them. The only issue I had all season was I ripped a few of the pins out when I tagged them on rocks.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Don't try to convince us that weight of pedals doesn't matter, it is sprung weight on a bike, and it matters. It's like having heavy shoes, which sucks.
As for the spindle durability, you can disagree from your experience, but I'm telling you mine. It took a few runs down A-Line for me to bend a spindle. Weak.
As for grip, when the big set screws get smoothed out by your shoes, they will not offer as much grip because there are so many pins on the platform so close together. If I wasn going to run them, I would remove some of the pins, but I really think either smaller set screws or bolts like Woodman and Straitline pedals is the way to go. The point of larger set screws like the Funn's have is to improve durability, but it sounds like you're even having problems with that. There are a lot better pedal offerings out there, why spend your money on something mediocre?
Bottom line: I wouldn't run them if they were free.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by erikkellison
Don't try to convince us that weight of pedals doesn't matter, it is sprung weight on a bike, and it matters. It's like having heavy shoes, which sucks.

yeh if i do recal there was a topic on this and well i was deffinatly taught a thing or two about pedal and shoe weight. it doesnt seem like it affects things, but it deffinatly does. some people dont care about it, but you really should start caring. it could shave precious seconds off the final time.

ohh and are you sure they discontinued the tiogas. cause if they did there gonna be getting an email very soon.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i think so can't find them on their site, and i have seen a few stores taht carry tioga, taht no longer have those pedals

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
damn it looks like mine are gonna get rebuilt over christmas so that i can keep them for another two years.

although i am liking the ones you posted earlier. who makes them and where did you find them man.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The Syncros are more open and great in muddy situations. Some of those pedals you were looking at would be terrible in the mud.

atomic97

Chimp
Jul 8, 2004
Santa Clarita, California
I'm from Atomlab. Obviously I like the Atomlab Aircorps, but for cheaper pedals, the DMR's rule. Those NS pedals look pretty cool. Most pedals are pretty close to the same and bearings are usually the biggest issue. That's why we kept evolving ours. As the guy said earlier, the wave washers didn't cut it so all the new stuff comes with a quadring which is by far the most reliable system we've seen. Here's a photo of the new Aircorps.

Attachments

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
I'm going with the tioga they are not magnesium's, and they have lasted people forever, plus they are cheaper than hell and lighter than competitors.

atomic97

Chimp
Jul 8, 2004
Santa Clarita, California
The Tioga's have a good price. If you're hard on bearings, it's easy enough to find them. They have a good shape to them as well.

The cast magnesium stuff definitely won't last as long as a good extruded aluminum pedal. It's light though.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Another vote for the speedplay drilliums. Been abusing a pair of them for a year now, and they are holding up extremely well. They are also the most comfortable platform pedal that I have ever used so far, they are also the easiest pedals maitenance wise that I have ever owned.