Quantcast

Need new rims...

Back Woods

Chimp
May 15, 2002
England... For now!
Ok so the rims on my ride are prett much square, more of a hexagon actualy, or maybe an octagon...ok, shapes not really all that important, truth of the matter is i need new rims, i ride a Hard tail XC bike, w/ rim breaks, i need a wheelset that'll hold up to a little abuse, and the rocks in Arizona.... however... (there is always a however) money IS an issue, a rather big issue at that... anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time!!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
rhyno lites would be the best bang for the buck, then again the mavic rims arent bad either

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
It depends how hard you are going to be on the rims.

If you don't care about the weight penalty and want something that will last longer and are more durable then rhyno lites are a good idea.
If you care about the extra weight and are going to be fairly light on the rims then x517 will be a good choice.

Personally I would go for the rhyno lites unless the bike is going to be strictly used for xc only or weight is important.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I would go with mavic 517, sun uses softer metal and the rhynos are a little heavy for xc.

what rim do you have now and what does it weigh, find a rim that wieghs a little more should be stronger.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
I recently bought a wheelset from jensonusa.com

Mavic 517's, 32 spoke, and XT hubs for $175. Good deal and they are just right for XC. These are not disc, I think you mentioned you were using V-brakes so they should be good for you...

here's the link