Quantcast

Need new wheelset

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
So I've kill my rear crossrock again. Now no way I'm rebuilding the hub again.

Si I need a new wheelset.

For rims I'm going with Mavic for sure.

I have a choice between XM819 and XC717. I like tubeless, but not the weight penalty of the XM819 (70gr). I will convert the XC717 to tubeless anyway.

Is the XM819 noticebly stronger than the XC717?

For the Hubs. I can't afford CK or any top of the line hubs. But I don't want to run on XT hubs also. I'd like something in between.

I was thinking Hope Bulb or DT Onyx hubs. Any other suggestions? Out of the two, which one is more reliable?

For nipples, brass & black.

Spokes: DT straight or double/tripple butted? Suggestions?

Any advice and suggestions welcomed!

Thanks!

J.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
KING KING KING!
brass nipples for sure
gage will depend on they type of lacing you wana do.
depending on your size you could go 1x or 2x up front then really chi-chi in the rear with a 3x drive and 2x non or even better 3x drive and radial non :eek:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
TreeSaw said:
Sq-Earl is running the DT Onyx and Mavic 819 rims and likes them thus far. He hasn't dented them up yet, which is rather surprising considering his luck with rims ;)
Is he running tubeless?

How's the weight?

@Tony... I'de love to own a King wheelset one of those days... but right now its just not possible...

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Jozz

Have you considered just going with the CrossMax XL's? I have had them on my Heckler for quite some time and couldnt be happier. I had to service the pawls once after a really dusty day followed by a rainy day (fine dust, then dampness, got one of the pawls stuck)

Other then that, they have been flawless, can be found for ~ $550 a pair, and for like $50 you can get a 2 year warranty.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Jozz

Have you considered just going with the CrossMax XL's? I have had them on my Heckler for quite some time and couldnt be happier. I had to service the pawls once after a really dusty day followed by a rainy day (fine dust, then dampness, got one of the pawls stuck)

Other then that, they have been flawless, can be found for ~ $550 a pair, and for like $50 you can get a 2 year warranty.
I getting out of the Mavic Hub Hell, I don't know about the Crossmax hubs, if they are way different than my Crossroc, but I went trough two cassette bodys and wheel bearings in two years. Also they are so expensive to repair.

I love their rims, but do not trust their rear hubs. (front has been flawless though)

No one running Hope hubs?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Jozz said:
I went trough two cassette bodys and wheel bearings in two years. Also they are so expensive to repair.

I love their rims, but do not trust their rear hubs. (front has been flawless though)
Interesting. I am not the most mechanically inclined, and my LBS showed me how to service the the hub, and I feel comfortable doing it. I have come to find out that the pawls can stick often, but they are easy to repair.

I do not konw if the CrossRoc (the low end sorry) are the same as the CrossMax or not.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Jozz

As much as I'd love to run a Crossmax XL in the front, I think you'd be better served running something else. For that much coin you could have a set built with tubeless rims, butted spokes, and the Hope Bulbs. And, with the Hopes, you'll still have the QR-->20mm option of the Crossmax XLs.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've got the Onyx hubs on my 575 (with DT D4.1 rims and DT spokes). Been running them for about a year and overall I'm pretty happy with them. There is some very slight drag in the freewheel already, but last season was the wettest on record around here, so they got totally abused. That, and I haven't done any service/maintenance on them at all.

Take it for what it's worth.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Jozz said:
Is he running tubeless?

How's the weight?

@Tony... I'de love to own a King wheelset one of those days... but right now its just not possible...
Yupper! He has a tubeless wheelset for the 575 now (he got it from his loving wife for his birthday in February). I don't believe that they're all that heavy either. I'd have to ask him about the weight specifics though.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Jozz - I have a Mavic 317 laced to a DT Onyx hub in the rear and it works great and is pretty light too.

My front hub is a specialized stout - which is kinda cool for a front hub as it takes a beefer skewer than a normal QR front hub.

I don't think you could go wrong with DT Swiss hubs. I also hear their customer service is kick ass.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Ok.

After reaserching the subjet, and reading many many interweb pages about hubs, my conclusion are as follow.

I should get a job to afford a Chris King :(

So I read some average/bad thing about the Onyx series.

I've read some average/good thing about the Hope Hubs.

And since I'm mucho satified with my braking system (Hope Mono-Mini)
I've decided to go with the Hope XC on Mavic XM819.

I'm Hoping its gonna withstand the abuse... :evil:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Jozz

man for 600 you can get a custom set of kings with a 10 warranty on the hubs.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
2 cassette bodies and bearings isn't probably that bad for the type of riding you tend to do.......honestly.........

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I was in the same boat...I would of loved CK hubs, but alas you almost have to be rich these days to afford them :(

Rims: Mavic 819's
Spokes: DT Competition
Nipples: Brass
Hubs: DT Swiss.

Hope hubs are also pretty damn good IMO.

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I've had my Hugi Onyxs for about four years now. Had the rear rebuilt once but the front has been perfect. I raced DH on them and they did fine. They are relatively light and relatively inexpensive. Also, have you looked at the WTB laser lite? The front hub is a mere 140 grams; retail is about 80 bucks. I feel for you. I'm in the process of converting from a DH rig to a trail/XC rig. I too am thinking about the Mavic XC717 rims. Good stuff. Good luck.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Rumored to be an American Classic design - weren't those good ones?
Not just rumor. WTB licensed the design from American Classic. I had a set on my previous bike that I rode for 2 years with no problems.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
I wanted Kings, but with the price increase it was nuts. I ended up with Hadleys 108pt engagement. They are laced with DT spokes and DT 4.1d rims. Only had them for about a month, but love them so far.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
mogulskr said:
I wanted Kings, but with the price increase it was nuts. I ended up with Hadleys 108pt engagement. They are laced with DT spokes and DT 4.1d rims. Only had them for about a month, but love them so far.
Any idea of the weight? And what type of riding do you do?

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
I weighed them on one of those food scales, it was in ounces and I can't remember. They are on a 575 and I would say I ride agressive XC. Lots of roots and rocks in NE.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
Looking around at various sites for wieghts this is what I cam up with.
DT Swiss XR4.1d rims - 425g
DT super Comp spokes (32) - 185g
Hadley QR front - 194g
Hadley QR rear - 355g
Hope Skewers (pair) 114g

Front wheel - 1022g / Rear wheel 861g

I got the weights off of Universal Cycles and DT Swiss websites.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
mogulskr said:
Looking around at various sites for wieghts this is what I cam up with.
Not bad. I think my next wheelset will be a duplicate of the set I had on my previous bike. They were WTB Laser Disc Lite hubs laced to Velocity VXC rims. Built by Mike at Oddsandendos. The front weighed 790g and the rear was 970g. I remember because Mike had put a sticker on each wheel stating the weight. This was without skewers. I believe they had Wheelsmith spokes and he used alloy nipples except for the drive side of the rear wheel, where he used brass. These can be had from Oddsandendos for a measly $360, and that includes shipping. My last pair held up great for 2 years of aggressive XC along the CO front range.