Quantcast

Need opinion

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
Hey everyone. I ordered some parts to build my hardtail, but now Pricepoint is jacking me around with ID verification. While I was browsing around today, I noticed I can buy an '06 Kona Stinky for about $1500, almost what I have into the hardtail. Coming from a DH background, I know I'd be a little happier with a full suspension bike. The build list doesn't look too bad, LX rear dr., deore front, pretty much the same cheap crap we ran as kids racing. The fork sucks, but I can run it for a few months and replace it, I guess the Marz. Drop Off triple is a really low end fork.

Other than that, anyone have an hands on experience with this bike? I had an '01 Stinky DeeLux for a while, but the frame design and rear suspension linkage is a little different now, for better or for worse? I realize there's probably better bikes out there, but for $1500 for a college student doesn't sound like a bad deal. Check it out here.

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=3809

EDIT: Just read the fine print, they won't sell via mail order, so unless I can get into the store to buy it, I'm SOL. Back to pinkbike looking for a used ride.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Look closer. Wheel World can not sale that bike mail order. You would have to go to Cali to get it. What size do you need. Kona has a few and I mean only a few 06 bikes on supper sale and any Kona dealer from Olympia to BC could order you a bike at a supper sale. You will get differant price qotes as it is up to the dealer how much of the wholesale discount to pass on to you.

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
Well, I have a few good leads. Now that I've waited this long for a bike I might as well make it something I want and not get in a hurry. A buddy of mine who works in a shop says his co-worker might be selling an '06 Specialized SX Trail, which is more of what I need, don't need a DH rig, but wouldn't mind it. I'd like something I could still pedal, but be light freeride worthy. Let's face it, I probably won't get back in racing, and I know I won't be hitting any 10'+ drops, so something with 6" of rear travel should suffice. We'll see what the price of the SX trail is, that seems to be an ideal bike for me if the price is right.

Apr 28, 2006
Kirkland, WA
the sx is definately a good choice. its pedalable but still is able to take the big hits...sounds like just what your looking for. hope you can find one for a descent price, there arent to many out there right now...i've also been looking.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
I have a Kona Stinky (2005). I rode the Drop Off for like 3/4 of a season, then uprgraded it with a new Boxxer. I can still pedal with it in the granny. The SX is a sick bike though too. I would personally go with Kona, but hey what do I know? I have heard some bad things about the rear swingarm on the SX. They are supposedly really flexy, as they use the same swingarm as the regulare Enduro. In the end it is up to you though.

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
Looking at an '03 Santa Cruz Bullit, kinda always wanted one and have found one for a pretty decent price. Waiting to get word back from seller so I can go check it out.

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
Bullit looks to have a dent in the swingarm, no good. Found a Kona with some 888's fairly local. It has a Fox Vanilla R shock, anybody know what the eye to eye length and shock stroke is? Possible to upgrade to a DHX? Everything on the bike is solid except the crappy shock.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
I still have the Fox Vanilla R on mine. I have upgraded almost every part, and that things is still kicking. Dont worry about putting a DHX on just yet. Ride it for a while and see what you think. If you are really set on upgrading, the eye to eye is 7.785. The stock stroke is 2.0 I believe, but by putting a 2.25inch stroke on you can gain .6inches of travel without having to put rocker links on. Just make sure you dont bottom onto seat post collar.

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
Time to stop fooling myself, anything less than a freeride bike is just going to piss me off. Going to look at a Banshee Scream tomorrow, if all checks out I'll be bringing that home

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
The Stinky is, and I like them, but I've had one before and I guess I'd like something a little different. I'm aware the Banshee is going to be heavy, but I'm a big guy, I need to lose some weight, so maybe pedalling this beast around will help me do so. At least this way I know I won't break it, I'm 220 pounds so I need something I can ride with some sort of confidence. I had a Santa Cruz Super 8 a couple years back, now THAT was a heavy bike. The bike I'm looking at has a Monster T on it, probably will trade that out, too much fork and it is fairly heavy.