Quantcast

Need opinions on my allocations of funds options: suspension related

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Alright people... Ridemonkey members have been a 'cool' and intelligent bunch over the years so I think you should be able to help me with this: I need help deciding where to spend more money. Me getting back in DH riding was suppose to have a modest start but of course, it has blown up into an out of control monster!

I ended up with an M9 with a 888 Evo Ti in front (won't be Ti much longer since I'm 215lbs of pure manliness before equipment). I've been sprucing it up with some new parts, bearings...etc. I also was able to pick up a Fox DHX with Push's MX-2 upgrade.

Here are the choices:

Option #1
-Get Darren and his guys to rebuild and revalved the shock for $145
-Leave the 888 Evo as is and throw in a stiffer spring if I need to
-Use extra money for hobbies NOT mtb related that don't need to be discussed here.

Option #2
-Sell that DHX with MX-2 and the other shock I got on the M9 and get an Avalanche Woodie
-Get the Avalanche cartridge for the 888
-No extra money for hobbies NOT mtb related that don't need to be discussed here.

What y'all think?

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Elka shock and Avy cart, or sell the 888 and put the money into a Dorado. Both routes would be money well spent.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
for the cheapest option, get an x-firm spring for the 888, throw some moar shimz on the base valve and get the shock re-valved unless you have a particular dislike for the shock.

Last edited by a moderator:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
But seriously, for the cheapest option, get an x-firm spring for the 888, throw some moar shimz on the base valve and get the shock re-valved unless you have a particular dislike for the shock.
This.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Is that MX2 thing their aftermarket bridge with the Avy hi/lo adjuster they're no longer making?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
why does the shock need to be rebuilt/revalved? I imagine a PUSH worked DHX-MX is going to behave pretty similar to the avy, especially with the avy built hilo right there in it. I can't see what you'd gain by anything else, outside of position sensitivity, if that's your thing.

Get the right spring in the fork, and you've got a great fork...i mean dang.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
There is no questions that you'll need a heavier spring for your 888 at 215 pounds. Whatever you do, I'd make sure that an x-firm spring is part of the equation.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
I appologise that your insecurities require you to cover yourself in ink to make yourself appear to be something you're not/a vain attempt to attract attention to yourself.

Perhaps it is I who should be sending money to you so you can see the shrink you so desperately need.

I would just get heavier spring for the 888. I would just get the proper size spring for the pushed DHX. If you don't like the way it rides then send it in to get it adjusted to your weight and style.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
My suspension priority, assuming that you have quality units, is always a) correct spring for your weight and b) custom tuning for weight/bike/riding style.

Throwing money on a new shock means you have to go back to step A and B again.

Last edited:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
-Not necessarily going for the cheapest route... just feeling things out.
-Yep, tattoo talk doesn't belong here but I mentioned it as it's part of the budget.
-Getting a heavier spring for the 888 is a given, even with the Avalanche cartridge
-Yeah you need to revalve the shock regardless. It's like how Avalanche calls for revalving theirs based on frame design, rider weight, riding style...etc.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
-Yep, tattoo talk doesn't belong here but I mentioned it as it's part of the budget.
-Getting a heavier spring for the 888 is a given, even with the Avalanche cartridge
-Yeah you need to revalve the shock regardless. It's like how Avalanche calls for revalving theirs based on frame design, rider weight, riding style...etc.
To be honest in most cases you don't. I really like Craig but if you have 2 frames with similar leverage curve and the last rider wasn't that much lighter/heavier he is just recomending it because he is a perfectionist. You should be able to set your shock up with normal dials.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you are free to discuss it as part of a budget, but not whether it's a lifestyle choice. Take it the lounge or someplace else.

Have you tried adjusting the shock and riding the frame? Certainly a custom valved shock to the frame is best, but like Norbar says, if it's similar, it's not going to change much.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
IF the MX tuned shock was valved for a different frame or for someone of significantly different weight/riding style, get it revalved. I see no reason to sell and move to an Avalanche.

Get a heavier spring for the fork, and consider getting it revalved as well (or get the Avalanche cartridge), as stock valving on forks are usually geared towards 160-180lb riders.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
How specific are push tunes? 215lbs is not something exceptional weight wise so unless it was valved for some crazy suspension design why would it need revalving?
I just meant the harder spring and fork revalve. Shock is fine I'm sure.