Quantcast

need opinions on used wine refrigerator

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Individual bottle support, with good air flow and additional space for magnums, imperials, and jeroboams. 51" W x 29" D x 88" H. Holds approximately 550 bottles. Wine rack is made with wood which is then interlocked with aluminum to create a sturdy rack. Rear exhaust requires 4 inches for proper ventilation.
Asking $595, wine not included.

http://denver.craigslist.org/for/335882190.html
from email said:
Hi Steve... Yes the unit is still available. It will reduce humidity, but
has no way of adding it. I put a 1/2" deep cookie sheet on the top shelf
right under the cooling unit and add distilled water each week. This keeps
the humidity between 60 and 70%. It does disassemble for transporting and shipping. It is double bottle deep. The rack comes out but not appart.
You would have to use the area above the rack for sparkling wines. The
temperature varies +/- 3 degrees overall and differers about 1 degree from
top to bottom. The unit is about six years old. I rebuilt it about 18
months ago.
Whatcha think? Should I have any concerns or should I just buy it?

I'd love to get one with shelves that roll out, but I'm not sure I want to drop the big bucks for one of them right now. Plus, double-bottle deep means that I would pretty much have no choice but to inventory our wine.

Thanks for your feedback!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
definitely...i paid about $150 for a 52 btl fridge.

inventorying the wines you've got is a good idea anyway, so you don't let certain ones go too long. and, you can see if your stash is out of balance wrt certain varietals (then again, you drink what you like).

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
do you inventory? Like in a spreadsheet?

I guess I'll buy the fridge if the guy will give me a one week warranty. Is that a reasonable requirement?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i did have a spreadsheet going at one point, but i've not updated in a while. . . i did it when i first stocked the thing. i should probably revisit it.

edit - yeah, i would think a week would be good. if you have any I&C friends, see if they can run a temp trace to check control @ setpoint and relative uniformity.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I got some used wine right here for you Loopie.....it's a little warm.
Anyway I'm still shocked Narlus has a spreadsheet for his leg opener...what a geek.;)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
What the hell does that mean? Was that English?
I&C meaning 'instrumentation and control'...basically they can stick a temp probe into the chamber and do some data collection and trending, to see the temperature profile (ie, how tightly it controls to desired setpoint).

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I&C meaning 'instrumentation and control'...basically they can stick a temp probe into the chamber and do some data collection and trending, to see the temperature profile (ie, how tightly it controls to desired setpoint).
Do you think the seller's email is an answer to the question you're saying I should ask?

seller said:
The temperature varies +/- 3 degrees overall and differers about 1 degree from top to bottom.