• an on trail experience

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • profile of a local rider

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well i have been asked to submit an article to a local publication about biking. It may turn into a regular gig for me so i want to make sure that i give them something they are into. it has to be 800 words and include a photo. please respond to the poll and let me know what you think would be better.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
If its going to be a regular thing, Id start out with something very basic that everyone could understand. Something about local trails to get attention. Starting with something like injuries wouldnt be so good, I would think. If there's a local hero, that could be good too.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i agree... i think something about riding that inspires you , something that may inspire others to ride would be good.. maybe write about taking someone whos never done it before for their first ride.

J

JRB

bluebug32 said:
What kind of publication is it? Is it a paying gig?
Quit trying to hawk on biggins' gig. :nope:

I would do a profile of someone very influential, or a rising star. Aren't the little trail monsters, t-pirate and curious captain nearby??? They've got lots of cool stuff going down, it looks like.

J

JRB

Crap - I just noticed "an on trail experience". You could steal burly's story about pooping on dead animals that he posted on mtbr, while trying to be me. :D

*unrelated - I watched 'two for the money' last night and matt mc(however you spell his name, bongo boy) got knocked off of his mtn bike riding in the park by some ruffian over some money. He then got peed on, and I immediately thought of burly's story and laughed. :thumb: Use that one. It'll get you the job for sure. :think:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
bluebug32 said:
What kind of publication is it? Is it a paying gig?
its a weekly regional publication. it will end up being a paying gig as long as i get the column. no guarantees yet though. also thanks for the advice.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
hooples3 said:
i agree... i think something about riding that inspires you , something that may inspire others to ride would be good.. maybe write about taking someone whos never done it before for their first ride.
:stupid: Get the reader's interest and you're golden for future articles on everything else you listed! Good luck :thumb:

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
biggins said:
its a weekly regional publication. it will end up being a paying gig as long as i get the column. no guarantees yet though. also thanks for the advice.
Is it a regional publication on biking? If so, then you can choose a more focused story idea (more of a niche like nutrition, skills, your biking trip). But if it's for a regional magazine that's very general, you need to really look at your audience. Chances are, the most beneficial story would be a roundup article that first addresses the fact that, hey, there's a lot of biking going on in this area and it's very accessible and secondly, that these are the shops you can visit, this is where the trails are and that you don't need a ton of expensive gear to get out there and explore the trails.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
bluebug32 said:
Is it a regional publication on biking? If so, then you can choose a more focused story idea (more of a niche like nutrition, skills, your biking trip). But if it's for a regional magazine that's very general, you need to really look at your audience. Chances are, the most beneficial story would be a roundup article that first addresses the fact that, hey, there's a lot of biking going on in this area and it's very accessible and secondly, that these are the shops you can visit, this is where the trails are and that you don't need a ton of expensive gear to get out there and explore the trails.
thats kind of where i am headed. if i get the gig then i am going to do seperate shop profiles. We have a lot of quality shops here so i have that plan in the works. the publication is pretty local and published weekly. it is however picked up by pretty much everyone every single week tourists and citizens alike.