Quantcast

need some advice from monkeys about my purchase...('98 Marzocchi MR.T)

monkey_wheel

Chimp
Aug 11, 2001
BC
I have the opportunity to buy a used '98 MR. T. (Read: Not a Monster T, but the old school MR. T's.) Now, I have totalled a 2001 Z5 and I'm putting my faith back in Marzocchi, as I've heard that the older forks outpreform the new forks by far.

Can anyone give me any info on this fork, as Marzocchi never replies. Is it tough? How do I switch the travel from 4 inches to 5 inches? (it is currently at 4 inches.) How do I convert it to single crown? I'm a 180 pound rider, and I know it sound stupid, but I'm going to be doing drops and all around hard riding. Especially dirt jumping. I don't want the fork to fold underneath me...

This one comes with a custom arch and crown, I don't really know what he means by custom, but I have a chance to examine it and let a shop take a look at it before I buy it. He is being really cool about it. Now, the bottom line. Is the $350 Canadian he wants for it a ripoff? (sorry for being so blunt! haha)

Thanks all, and is there any other info I should know about this fork?

Jun 13, 2002
NH
Dude,
If that fork is in brand new condition, with no scratches/dents. It's an ok deal. If it's not perfect it's not a good deal. Keep in mind that it's a 5 year old fork.
If you want it strong, don't go trying to make a single clamp out of it! It will feel a little goofy on built stunts at first, but unless you're into doing bar spins, there is no reason for a singleclamp.. If you get used to riding it you won't notice the weight.You have to get the upgrade kit from marzzochi to go to 5". I think it's like $30.00
PS.
I have a 98' White brothers DC118 that I'll sell for $150.US
Seanaza-Team420-Eact Coast

nsrider

Chimp
Jun 20, 2002
Surrey, BC, Canada
the mr t is the ultimate freeride hardtail tripleclamp, it has a thru axle and the replaceable arch, he probably means a bigger arch by custom, all this will do is increase tire clearance and strength, similar to an arch made by envy, check it out www.envygear.com
ps good deal go for it, u will love the fork