Quantcast

Need some advice on XC wheelset

Jan 29, 2005
I've been riding on my stock xc wheels for almost 3 years now, and they're about cooked. Looking for some nice wheels, either as a pre-built set or hub/rim combo. 6 bolt and UST would be ideal. I am really not very tough on my wheels simply because of my light weight, however, i do pull some riding style from dh, so i don't want anything that rides like a wet noodle. Price isn't too much of an issue, I9s or anything at that price are just too expensive, but you get what you pay for, so a quality set of wheels that last is imperative, even if they're on the expensive side. Thoughts?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
There are tons of wheels that would fit into that description...a bit more info would be helpful....

For hubs, I9s are good, as are any offerings from Chris King, Hadley or DT Swiss. For rims, I think that 819s are a good bet. Lighter than the 823s and plenty strong for most people. I have been using 819s for a while; had them mounted up on my Giant VT and now a different set on my Prophet. Both performed flawlessly.

Some prebuilts from Mavic might fit the bill; there are some new ones for '07. Hub/rim combos, however, are generally cheaper, easier to get parts for and sometimes more reliable.

Bikebro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
I can't say enough good things about Mavic wheels and their support. They just work but when **** happens its easy to get parts. All the middle to high end wheels from Mavic are new this year. The top of the line model is lighter then the new XTR set and looks great.

I also really like the Bontrager wheels from the last few years. I had a set of Race Lite disc that held up under my 220+ rear end. Ran them tubeless with UST tires, the included rim strip and no sealant. They held high pressure for weeks at a time. Little heavy at about 1800g but only retail for $450 or so. Next level up goes for $800 at 1500g or so. Easy to get parts, DT hubs, and standard spokes on all of them.

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
have you looked at the american classic disk wheels?They aren't ust you can convert them.I got a pair new for $430 and they are great.32 spoke 3 cross disk only and they were 1457 on my scale and the scale at my lbs.check them out.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
My 0.02. Don't believe that "system" wheels (anything that come as a pre-built wheel from Bontrager, Cane Creek, Mavic, etc) are really superior to a well-made hand-built. And it'll be easier to fix (in general), and maybe cheaper.

So, depending on how much you're thinking of spending, something like Hope XC/Pro IIs to a decent Mavic or Velocity rim may be up your alley. More upscale would get you Hadleys or Kings, DT 240s. Down scale to XTs.

Or maybe I just like making wheels...

edit: I'm not hating on prebuilt wheels. I just wanted to make sure the handbuilts were represented...