Quantcast

Need some basic Tax help

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well I figured out how to do taxes when I worked, this past year I haven't worked and I got a form in the mail, a 1099-G. It is pretty basic but there's something I don't get.

It is unemployment compensation.......says $5,520 and that I had Federal Income Tax Withheld of $560. I get that part.

Now I go to the online site that I used last year and it tells me I get $560 back. I have NO idea how that works but the site worked for me last year correctly and all I have to do is answer questions and fill in the blanks. So I am assuming that part is right. That would be for my Federal return.

But.......here's where I'm stuck. I do a California return and it says I paid nothing and I get nothing back and I don't owe nothing either.

Do I even need to file a California return if I don't owe anything or get anything back OR paid anything? On this form that I have it says nothing about California income tax with held. So I have no idea if I should file a state tax return or just forget it and do the federal.

Any help would be appricated!

Blueadder

Chimp
Jul 19, 2004
Lafayette, Louisiana
so you were unemployed for the entire year?

I know here, if you don't make more then 4,000 a year, you don't have to file. I would check with someone local to you though.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Blueadder said:
so you were unemployed for the entire year?

I know here, if you don't make more then 4,000 a year, you don't have to file. I would check with someone local to you though.
Nope, didn't work at all the entire 2005 year, or the last 3 months of 2003, LOL or the first 2 months now of 2006. But I did do my taxes last year how I was suspose to because of the forms that I got. I did get money back (because I worked the year 2003)

I'll have to look and see what the min. you have to make to file. I want to say that I do have to file but I'll have to double check. When I fill out an online federal tax section I enter everything right and no matter what site I use it says I am suspose to get $560 back. The state section is where it's funny because if I remember right, Unemployment took out state taxes each time they sent me a check.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
If CA took out state taxes with your checks (I don't think they do, though) and that was your only income, you may be due a refund. Just do what the site tells you to do. If you don't owe any tax in CA and file a return saying so, there's no harm. (so my vote is to file for CA)

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Changleen said:
Get a job, hippie!
I'm working on it, I sent in my info because my name came up on the USPS city carrier position. It said they'd like their job application filled out so they could interview me. If it works out its $18.36/hr. Not too bad plus I know the post office has good benifits.

I'm like the "anti-hippie". I just had enough coin saved up to pay rent/bills for the last year + Not too many can just do that at will.