Quantcast

Need some friendly advice...

soonershane

Chimp
Apr 29, 2006
Oklahoma
Hey guys, completely new guy here so I am looking for a little advice. I am going to be spending a lot of time this summer in Colorado and I am looking for a bike to get me around town. My three choices so far are a Giant Boulder, a Trek 830, or a Trek 3700. Before you start saying that this is in the wrong area of the forum, let me explain. I am looking at this from a "tech" point of view. Usually when I get something like a guitar, a gadget, a car, I like to know how the thing works and I would like to be able to learn the ins and outs of it. Of course I am looking for a nice ride and something that is dependable, but I would also like to know how to work on it if something goes wrong. I am going to be riding mostly just around town or on gravel or smoother dirt paths, but hey, it is Colorado and I wuold occassionally like to take it up and down the hill a few times while I am there. Probably 98% on a smoother surface 2% flying down a hill. Any suggestions or advice? I would really appreciate it!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The problem with posting it in the tech forum is that it doesn't get as much traffic as say the beginner or cross country forum.

As far as maintenance, a lot of folks seem to like Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance or the Park Tool website.

For the bikes, I really think you should consider a full rigid(no front suspension) in your price point. You'll get a better bike. Those cheap suspension fork are junk.

These look really nice:

stinkyboy said:

soonershane

Chimp
Apr 29, 2006
Oklahoma
Ah, spoken like a true texan with one victory in the last...what is it now...5 years? hahahaha Never a bad time to start the hate!! hahahaha Here is a funny story for you. There were a few exchange students from Germany and Russia and they saw a couple of Oklahoma fans and a couple of texass fans and of course they were hurling insults at each other and the exchange students couldn't believe it! They thought that we really seriously hated each other as in we were ready to kill each other! I had to explain that it was only on the field! I gave them the speech about Oklahoma and Texas having this relationship of WE could hate each other but let anyone else mess with us and we were the first to stand up for one another. We know that in REAL times of need, Texas is there for us and we are there for them as well. Still, the sport hate is pretty fun!!! Plus, even though mack brown sucks, Austin still has some pretty kick-a music!