Quantcast

Need some Hayes help

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Just put in some new pads for my worn down ones, and now I barely need to pull on the levers to lock my wheels.

I tried pushing apart my pads with the wheel out, but they would just move back. So, should I stick some block between the pads after spreading them apart and then pump the lever or does this sound like it calls for a bleeding.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by Inclag
Just put in some new pads for my worn down ones, and now I barely need to pull on the levers to lock my wheels.

I tried pushing apart my pads with the wheel out, but they would just move back. So, should I stick some block between the pads after spreading them apart and then pump the lever or does this sound like it calls for a bleeding.
Do your first idea. Get a large flat screwdriver. The biggest one you can find. Some people prefer to use a small box wrench but I like the screwdriver best. Pull out the wheel, insert screwdriver arnd twist. Pump lever multiply times with screwdriver in caliper. Replace wheel and go ride. The brake will continue to feel weird for awhile. Once the pads set and the fluid gets hot a few times things will be back to normal. I usually go to the top of a hill and sprint down and then grab lots of brake to get thing set.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I had the same thing happen to me a while ago, and the system needed to be bled. So, bleeding is the next step if buildyourown's suggestion doesn't work.