Quantcast

Need some help disposing of a rather large groundhog.

How to dispose of a groundhog?

• Total voters

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Have a pretty good size groundhog, tried trapping , tried repellant, refuse to use poison due to having an outdoor cat that is pregnant.

So now where?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Buy a .22 rilfle (a used one will prolly cost you $50 at a pawn shop) and some shells. Wait until you get it in the sights. Pull the trigger. Repeat as necessary. If you live in town a homemade silencer (google) is needed.

I believe a .22 rifle is one of the most useful tools a man can own.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Why not leave some holiday brochures lying around to tempt it to take a vacation and then fill it it's burrow whilst its away?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
MMike said:
While I agree that this is the best idea so far...I'm very saddened by your reversal of "its" and "it's"
I am ashamed of myself and you have no idea how grateful I am that you have quoted my error for all to see.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
fluff said:
I am ashamed of myself and you have no idea how grateful I am that you have quoted my errror for all to see.
That's what all the drugs you took have done to your brain. Hippie.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
fluff said:
You're fvcked up dude! You're a danger to yourself and the public. Look at you, your mechanism's GONE! :rofl: Just sit down quietly and I'll get you a nice cup of tea. It's going to be OK.

"Its" - Honestly! :oink:

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
My g/f's parents have a part-time fam in the Poconos. A .22 does a nice job of disposing of pesky groundhogs munching on the crops.

But considering you are on Lawnguyland, I'm guessing firearms may not be an options. If so, your township will have an animal control dept. There are also privite companies that will trap and remove pests. A friend used a company like this to remove a family of skunks from his property.

If you're determined to shoot the thing, maybe a bb/pellet gun loaded with a dart. ;)

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I'm going to have to say a .410 shotgun. Not only does it have a nice tight spread, but you will look badass pumping round after round into the groundhog, empty casings flying, blood splattering, the groundhog's piercing screeches shattering the night until the last round is spent and there is nothing more than silence...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Polandspring88 said:
I'm going to have to say a .410 shotgun. Not only does it have a nice tight spread, but you will look badass pumping round after round into the groundhog, empty casings flying, blood splattering, the groundhog's piercing screeches shattering the night until the last round is spent and there is nothing more than silence...
AWESOME!!!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Polandspring88 said:
The .410 is a GIRLS' gun if there ever was one...

Sorry, but its true. Unless you're using a slug, a 410 probably cant even kill a groundhog. Id trust a bow and arrow more than a 410.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I agree with the .22LR remedy already proposed. You can even abate the sound issue by using subsonic ammunition and shooting through a duct-taped-on plastic soda bottle(provided it does not negatively affect your sighting mechanism or obstruct the barrel with anything besides a thin layer of light-duty plastic).

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Im going to recommend a .223.
Great varmint gun. Very good at range, with a bit more punch than a .22
Very flat trajectory.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
johnbryanpeters said:
But... for a woodchuck, not enough added bang for the buck compared to a .22 LR. I have been fiercely resisting the urge to go out and buy a varmint gun.
Well, the thing about a.223 is that you can also take down a deer or a dog or a coyote with a well placed shot. The same cant be said for the .22 (most of the time)
For an all purpose varmint gun, Id say the .223 is it. Possums, Raccoons...does it all.

BurlyShirley said:
Well, the thing about a.223 is that you can also take down a deer or a dog or a coyote with a well placed shot. The same cant be said for the .22 (most of the time)
For an all purpose varmint gun, Id say the .223 is it. Possums, Raccoons...does it all.
OK on that, but I don't go after deer, coyotes and dogs. We had one neighborhood dog that I got itchy about, but he seems to have disappeared; I suspect that someone else got tired of him or caught him running deer.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
For a small varmint gun i prefer the .17 HMR. My Ruger 10/22 is quite a bit quieter when using subsonic ammo, but it doesn't have the same knockdown power. If you really want to be quiet then load your .22 w/ CB caps. You have to be pretty close though and land a well placed shot.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
.22 LR is one of the better varmit rounds tehre is, body shot is nearly a guaranteed kill, remember a .22lr is a tumbler and does a ton of damage once in, side note .22lr was/is the assasins round of shoice, being as a temple shot meant shredded brain. if you really want a little more " Punch" then get yourself a 22 Mag softnose, lots of damage, kick a groundhogs ass. The .410 shotgun, very nice choice for this without being overkill, .410 while being considered a "Girls" gun, is also a rabbit gun of choice, nice tight patern without destroying th meat, as far as using a Slug in that gun, a .410 is has a .45 caliber barrel, and yes ,45 revoler ammo works. 12guage, well yeah itll do the job, and you wont even have to be a good shot, just load it with some #7 bird shot and your set. Auto pistol<Listing for all auto's in general> Just not a fan of the auto pistol for varmits, seems alot of wasted ammo that was used more for fun than the actual job. The .223, well, itll get teh job done, but problem with it is that your gonna punch holes in teh critter, youll have to land a good shot for it to fall dead, chances are with this particular round you'll get the kill, but you might not get the Critter, leaving possibility for a terrible smell in a week or so. .177 HMR, Man i love that round, a 22Mag casing that has been Necked-down to a .177 caliber projectile, Teflon coated to that the Bullet doesnt Melt in mid flight, closest youll get to a perfect flight path, and wind has near 0 effect on it, very easy to land the perfect head head, and bullet near disintegrates on impact<That means no Trace, should you use it to do something illeagal>. Of coarse, one of my favorite handguns, the .357. Nicely combo'd with a winchester .357 rifle you can have alot of fun with this pair, good stopping power for most anything that comes your way, and works well in the rifle as well, little loud, But hey its a .357.

Now all these are coool, fun, and in someway will get teh job done, one thing to remember is to pick one that, Is elagal, wont also kill the neighbor, and will suit your abilities as a shooter.

If anyone wants, they can come over and see my collection, i happen to have one of each i listed and them some. What can i say, i like guns. Hope this helps a bit.