Quantcast

need some help

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Okay I'm seventeen and i'm starting on my senior exit for english and i need an interview with some one that goes along my topic(i think i can get away with a survey). My topic is to prove that my downhill race suspension system and my own designed gear box will work far better then the leading race bikes. for some back up info about my topic, i'm in drafting 3 honors and a wiz and quite a geek when it comes to design and bikes, so over the past 2 years i've been doing research on every suspension system for bikes, and figuring out what they're missing, i have a 3 subject notebook literally full of frame designs and about 10 pages of it are devoted to my gear box, then another 20 devoted to my electronic suspension. my design that i've chosen is a complicated 6 pivot design that from my estimate will be surprisingly light, if my calculations are going to be perfect it will offer 6 to 11.5 inches of travel give or take a millimeter, with absolutely NO pedal bob. so any way enough of my geeky talk, what i need is everyone to put what they want out of a downhill race/freeride bike, and what is expected. make the post as long as you want the more opinions the better. i will be fabricating the frame, (and gear box if i can get access to a cnc machine) and hopefully if i blow them away with the demonstration i can get together the funds to start up my own little shop and bring all of my designs out of their paper prison. thank you for reading my long geeky message and please post.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
hey if you can i have this problem with a lot of bike and the problem s that the furthur you go down in travel the closer you get to hiting you a** and seat with your tire if you can make the tire line verticle that will save a lot of people buts and seats when they go off of a big drop with plush travel i hope you guys understand what i am talking about, other than that sounds great and hey maybe you can show us some of your desiegns just erase the measurment don't worry now one will be ablye to understand any of it so they can't possible steel you ideas

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Wow - your ideas sound very ambitious and thought-out. I like that. :D

One question though: Without giving away too many details, how are you going to power this electronic suspension? Batteries are pretty heavy these days.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
So you're telling me that you can make a better gearbox than honda?

And have that much travel with no pedal bob? Are you going to stick a metal pole in the linkage.

Sorry if a sound lke an ass, but this "Perfect design" doesn't have any weight unless you can show us designs.

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
it needs to come in rootbeer

seriously, cornering, low center of gravity adjustable geometry if its design as a fr and dh bike, light weight, durability of materials and design. reasonable cost (if your going to mass produce it) and everything else you claimed, (pedaling etc.)

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
zmtber said:
hey if you can i have this problem with a lot of bike and the problem s that the furthur you go down in travel the closer you get to hiting you a** and seat with your tire if you can make the tire line verticle that will save a lot of people buts and seats when they go off of a big drop with plush travel i hope you guys understand what i am talking about, other than that sounds great and hey maybe you can show us some of your desiegns just erase the measurment don't worry now one will be ablye to understand any of it so they can't possible steel you ideas
-i hear the getting raped by the rear tire thing, but i like a forward arcing axel path so the wheel base shrinks in hard corners, 'cause i suck at corners.
-the head angle should be steeper at the short travel setting then at the long. dono how u could do this but....
the seat tube angle should do the same
it should feel like totaly diffrent bikes at each diffrent travel setting.
-easy to service and mantain. this is essential if the bike is to live past it's hype/fad. compatibilty is always good to.
-BB hight should be higher a full travel then at short, but that's easy
-keep your chain line in mind
- a lot of stand over
-full lenght seat tube
-no flex
-minamal chain growth
-floating disc mounts are always pimp, thou i've never felt the diffrence
-chain rollers are pimp to, one up high that the power goes throu and one on the chainstay.
- lastly it should be cheep. good luck with it all and get some pics up soon, can't wait to see em.

edit: sry, i can't help but reading your first post in this tread in the voice of the nerd from the simpsons. "if my calculations are correct"
no offence :o:

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
sorry i haven't responded i've been at school basically 24/7 with the paper, thanks for your help, and to answer some of your questions:
my basic idea for the pedal bob, was to put elastomer in the pivots to soak up the major force from the pedals, it will also help out when the linkage as completely bottomed out, it will release alot of stress. and the gear box, right now i'm trying to downsize it, i don't think it will better than anyone's else's gear box, but i'm just worried about getting it out of the paper and into a cnc machine, i'll be happy if the thing works period, it should though. with the mass production, i'm only seventeen and lack the funds for mass production, i would absolutely love to have my own business though, i thought of making like four models and getting riders to come test them. i have many different designs though, the ETS (electronically tuned suspension.) i'm still going over the drawings, but there will be a tiny generator that will attach to the rear wheel, and when the shock is out of juice for any reason it will act as a regular shock. but that's just a fun little idea, way to expensive to run for a senior exit. oh yeah one of the cross country designs will reduce pedal bob from the position of the main pivot which is closely located to the head tube. i might put up one of my designs that i don't really care about, i'm just paranoid that i'll post it and a year later someone's making my bike. but ne way, yeah harsh comments are encouraged they'll just make me work harder to my goal, i'll post some pictures of the building process though, i'll have a design video to go with my paper, that will have design, build, and the product in action, to so i'll post that when i get done. thanks for all your help, oh and i know i sound like a nerd, but i have tons of passion for this lifestyle (mountain biking) and i just love to deal with bikes, i just hope one day i can make it my career. but yeah thanks again

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
Dirtjumper999 said:
oh yeah one of the cross country designs will reduce pedal bob from the position of the main pivot which is closely located to the head tube. -------- but ne way, yeah harsh comments are encouraged they'll just make me work harder to my goal, ------ i know i sound like a nerd, but i have tons of passion for this lifestyle (mountain biking) and i just love to deal with bikes, i just hope one day i can make it my career. but yeah thanks again
pivot by the head tube? eh? ----- that's never gonna work, your waisting your time, just give up now and go become a lawer.----- man, i am such a bike nerd it's not funny, i need a life. if you can make it your life..... :cool:
my advice is to go kiss DW's arse, he's a nice guy and and could be a big help.
btw i'm just waiting on a good fork box to come in to work, then it's on it's way out. shouldn't be long since i work at a certified LBS.