Quantcast

Need some help

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Ok guys I need some help here.I have put the downhill bike away awhile and been riding my xc bike again.It's a Cad 5 C-dale converted to a singlespeed.Wanting to know the lightest custom wheel build that's still reliable.Have gotten the bike to sub 22# but want to go lower. All help appreciated.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
You know the best place to find out would be to go to the Save some weight forum at MTBR.com in the techtalks. There's a guy nino and all those weight weenies would love to help you.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
ditto that on the Hugi hubs and 317-517. You might want to go with DT revolution spokes up front and comps out back. As Sheldon Brown says "if you are using the same number and gauge spokes on front and rear wheels, either the front wheel is overbuilt or the rear is underbuilt". I had a pair of wheels with revos in 32 hole Hugi 240 disc hubs. I started breaking spokes in the rear after a season which isn't normal for me. Next time I'll go comps in the rear and 28 front comps. I think that'd be good for my weight ,140.

Another light hub set is the American Classic. Don't know about durability on those but they used to make good stuff. I read somewhere that the company was sold, made less than stellar stuff but then was bought back by the original guy(s).

Chris King hubs are awfully nice and I don't think they'd qualify as fishing weights. Or XTR hubs either. Isn't there a web site called www.weightweannies.com ?