Quantcast

need some input - sorta bike related

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
As most of you know, I've been trying to sell my HP frameset for a while. I've got a guy interested in it, and he wants to trade me a "like new" NiteRider Storm 2.0 HID headlamp + $60 for the frame. He sent pics of the lamp, and it does look new. The box is a little worn as it was in his toolbox, but the lamp, wiring, charger, battery, and literature all appear to be in excellent shape. He would pay to ship the light, I would pay to ship the frame.

Initially, I was hoping to get $300 + shipping for the frame - seems like a fair price/value to me. It's going to cost me about $10 in materials to package the frame, and about $25 to ship it. He's paying to ship the light, so that's not an issue on my end.

Does this sound like a good deal, or should I be getting more for the frame? I like the idea of getting a lamp (lord knows I've been talking about getting one long enough), but from a value standpoint, am I making out OK?

FWIW... I can get a new NR Storm 2.0 online for about $270. What do these things go for used?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Maybe $200 for the light shipped. It is used afterall. They are nice. Kind of overkill, but nice. Sounds to me as if your getting the short end of the stick.

jdcamb

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
jacksonpt said:
As most of you know, I've been trying to sell my HP frameset for a while. I've got a guy interested in it, and he wants to trade me a "like new" NiteRider Storm 2.0 HID headlamp + $60 for the frame. He sent pics of the lamp, and it does look new. The box is a little worn as it was in his toolbox, but the lamp, wiring, charger, battery, and literature all appear to be in excellent shape. He would pay to ship the light, I would pay to ship the frame.

Initially, I was hoping to get $300 + shipping for the frame - seems like a fair price/value to me. It's going to cost me about $10 in materials to package the frame, and about $25 to ship it. He's paying to ship the light, so that's not an issue on my end.

Does this sound like a good deal, or should I be getting more for the frame? I like the idea of getting a lamp (lord knows I've been talking about getting one long enough), but from a value standpoint, am I making out OK?

FWIW... I can get a new NR Storm 2.0 online for about $270. What do these things go for used?

Due to the delicate nature of the batteries and bulbs, both of which are very expensive I would never pay that much for a used light set unless I knew the seller. $200 at most.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
If you need a light, take it. Why not? I'd avoid the aggrivation of continuing to try and sell it and just do it. I traded frames with a guy and I was getting the "better end" of the deal from a monetary standpoint but, in the end, we both traded something we didn't want for something we did.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Tough call, but it sounds like he's getting the better deal. How often do you have to replace the HIDs? How many hours on the lamp? I would see if you could get him to up the cash. That might make it more attractive to you.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
Due to the delicate nature of the batteries and bulbs, both of which are very expensive I would never pay that much for a used light set unless I knew the seller. $200 at most.
delicate? are you being funny?

although i think i understand your point, maybe.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
JSB said:
Tough call, but it sounds like he's getting the better deal. How often do you have to replace the HIDs? How many hours on the lamp? I would see if you could get him to up the cash. That might make it more attractive to you.
I've had my hid since 2003 and although i dont use it 'much' i have raced with it quite a bit, 2 24 hour races on a team, 1 24 hour race solo, at least 6 12 hour races where i used used it at least 2 hour each race. It's heald up pretty well. plus many fun rides.
i think the lamps last a 1000 hours and cost about $80.

but i'm not sure about the resale value of the systems. It kind of does sound like a better deat for the other dude.

if you can get 300 + cash for the frame i'd do that and buy a new one.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Toninator said:
delicate? are you being funny?

although i think i understand your point, maybe.
Delicate as in bulbs and batteries have a finite lifespan. Not to mention the cords can be easily damaged if not handled properly, I should know, I have damaged them by not handling them properly :think: .