Quantcast

Need some opinions on suspension setup

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So far I really like how my M1 rides and it definately has helped my riding in the little time I have used it. I decided to not really touch the suspension untill I had a good idea of the bikes characteristics, but I'm not really sure with what direction I should head with setting up the Fox RC and Boxxer Team I have.

Basically I feel that there are two ways I can go with my suspension setup. The first option is to go with a softer setup and use a slightly lighter spring in the rear and use 1 soft spring in the Boxxer. The Boxxer feels great with the lighter spring, has the new base walve, and was tuned by Hippietech. The problem is that it was setup for a lighter rider and has really bad brake dive with this setup. I figure that I can most likely tune this out with a heavier oil weight and higher low speed compression.

The other option is to go with a stiffer setup. I just got the Earthed DVD (which rips BTW!) and all of those racers appear to be running pretty stiff setups on their race rigs. With the 2 medium springs the Boxxer doesn't feel to good with the current
oil weights and adjustments, but it sits higher in its travel and hardly bobs at all. I'm pretty sure that I can get the damping right with all the adjustments and with the correct oil weights, so I'm not to concerned with how it feels currently with the two med. springs.

The Fox RC, well it's a Fox RC so I can only do so much to it, but it really shouldn't be too hard to make it work ok with either setup.

Anyone racers have any thought on this subject? Better yet, has anyone really had some good time on both styles of setup and can compare and contast how it affected their riding?

Thanks

johnbrittain

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Amarillo, Texas
right now i'm riding a recoil i just built up a week or so ago, i'm in the same boat as you, someone was saying to me a few days ago to run my resevoir on the bottom side as compared to on the top side of my shock, and it will help... do you know if it does anything and if so what it does?? ... sorry i didn't answer your question