Quantcast

Need some pnw help on a bike

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Alright, so i already posted a while back in the downhill forum, and im deciding between two bikes, an 07 sunday team which i can get for 3199, or an 07 v10 for 3525. Ill be racing in the pnw and a couple races at whistler till august, then im off to the UK for senior year, and back here for college. So far im leaning on the sunday because its such a killer bike, but the v10 has a nicer spec and is lighter. i am going to start working in the LBS so itll be easy to switch out the juicy 5/dhx 3 on the sunday. In case your wondering, here are the specs for both.

Sunday team:
Frame: 8" Travel dw link DH Race
Fork: Boxxer Team
Rear Shock: DHX Coil 3.0
Bar: Funn Fatboy
Grips: ODI Ruffian MX L/O
Stem: Funn Direct Mount
Headset: FSA Orbit IS-2 w/e13 reducers
BB: FSA Mega Exo
Crank: FSA Gravity GAP DH 165mm
Ring: e13 36t
Pedals: CB 50/50 XX
Chain: SRAM PC 951
Saddle: Selle Italia XRXC
Wheels: DT FR 6.1 on Alloy Hubs
Guide: e13 STS
Rear Der: SRAM X.9
Shifter: X.7 Trigger
Cassette: PG-950 12-26
Brakes: Avid Juicy 5 8"
Tires: Minion 3C 2.7 F, 2.5 R
wieght is 43.3lb

and like i said, i will switch out the shock for a dhx 5 or a roco world cup, either one i get, ill put a ti spring on it. then ill switch out the brakes for codes. and the wheels after i beat up on them.

Santa Cruz v10
REAR DER SRAM X0 short cage
FRONT DER n/a
SHIFTERS SRAM X0 right trigger
CRANKSET TruVativ Holzfeller OCT 40 tooth (e13 chainguide included)
BOTTOM BRACKET TruVativ Howitzer Team
CASSETTE SRAM PG 990, 11-32
CHAIN SRAM PC 991
BRAKES Avid Code w/ 203mm rotors
BRAKE LEVERS Avid Code
BARS Race Face Diabolus riser
STEM Thomson, 31.8mm
GRIPS Lizard Skin lock on
HEADSET Chris King
SEAT POST Thompson
SADDLE WTB Rocket V Stealth
WHEELS DT FR 6.1D rims laced to DT 440 hubs w/ DT 14 guage spokes, brass nipples
TIRES Kenda Nevegal 2.7 front 2.5 rear wire
TUBES Kenda DH
REAR SHOCK Fox DHX 5.0
FORK: boxxer world cup
wieght is 40.35lb

thanks guys,
Eren

EDIT: another thing for me to consider is the jumping ability, theres a lot of jumping/freeride areas around such as sst, galbraith, the exits, and such. thinking of that and that you dont need 10 inches of travel, i may just be headed towards the sunday. Either way i know i wont be dissapointed, i think im just going to go for the team. but id still like input through tomarrow.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
what fork on the v10

haven't ridden either, but sunday has really low BB, good for cornering, bad for pedals

v10's better for pinn'n it on rougher trails, less feel for jumping.

choose what will fit the trails you want to ride and your riding style

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
what fork on the v10

haven't ridden either, but sunday has really low BB, good for cornering, bad for pedals

v10's better for pinn'n it on rougher trails, less feel for jumping.

choose what will fit the trails you want to ride and your riding style
v10 has the world cup, the ONLY reason im thinking of the v10 is because of the riding in the uk, but for september-november 07 and march-june 08 it isnt worth it. thats the end of this season and the start of next season

Apr 28, 2006
Kirkland, WA
I'd go for the Sunday. For the riding around here, for example the exits, the bike will be a lot more flickable and nimble for the continuous jump after jump, and still be able to kill it on the dh. As said, the V10 is more a plow bike and doesnt want to leave the ground.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
I would agree with most of the people above when they say to get a sunday. I recently built mine up and even with the 5th on there its super rad(though I can't wait to get a DHX!!!). I had a canfield, and they ride better than a v10, and the sunday rides better than the canfield. Nothing around here is gnarly enough to need 10" of travel. And though you are going to be in the UK for a bit, that shouldn't be the deciding factor on what bike to get. Though the parts kit on the V10 is pretty killer.

The sweetest option would be to buy the v10, sell the frame, and get a sunday. I think Ktown-freeride might still have one for sale. You could buy a medium v10 in black and sell the frame (as new) which would pay for getting a sunday frame.

That's the problem with riding. There are just too many options out there.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I don't know why you would think the V-10 would be better for the UK. I've read a handfull of Dirt mags (the UK one) and they always seem to say that their trails are really smooth. I fact it seems like when they review bikes they always mention something on longer travel plow bike reviews like "It felt overkill on the trails, but this is the UK...." Thats just what I've heard from Dirt, maybe there are some really gnarly trails over there; the scene is supposed to be good either way and I think they have a lot of races year round.
If I had to pick I would with the Sunday

Dan89

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
my ass
just choose the one with the best bar height cuz when your walking the runs you want it to have a comfortable feel, if you know what i mean.