Quantcast

Need some PowerPoint Help....

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Anyone out there familiar with powerpoint? I hope so, because I'm not.

I'm running a Mac with OSX (Yes, Mike is using a Mac :eek: ) running Microsoft Offfice Version X.

What I want to do, is make a transition between slides, really really slow. Like 20-30 seconds. Is that possible?

Also, does anyone know where I can Download the manual for powerpoint? The Mactopia Microsoft site sucks, and is impossible to navigate.

Thanks

--Mike

J

JRB

On the tool bar, click Slide Show, Slide Transition, and adjust with the advance slide option. This is with Power Point 2003.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
BigMike said:
Anyone out there familiar with powerpoint? I hope so, because I'm not.

I'm running a Mac with OSX (Yes, Mike is using a Mac :eek: ) running Microsoft Offfice Version X.

What I want to do, is make a transition between slides, really really slow. Like 20-30 seconds. Is that possible?

Also, does anyone know where I can Download the manual for powerpoint? The Mactopia Microsoft site sucks, and is impossible to navigate.

Thanks

--Mike
I have a lot of PowerPoint tutorials that I have created for school. I can get them all together and mail you a copy if you want (either snail mail or e-mail).

Loco's right - The easiest way is to click "Slide Show" (on the toolbar) then Slide Transition. Then in the new window on the bottom left, click "Automatically after ___ seconds and put in however many seconds you need. Click "OK".

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
TreeSaw said:
I have a lot of PowerPoint tutorials that I have created for school. I can get them all together and mail you a copy if you want (either snail mail or e-mail).

Loco's right - The easiest way is to click "Slide Show" (on the toolbar) then Slide Transition. Then in the new window on the bottom left, click "Automatically after ___ seconds and put in however many seconds you need. Click "OK".

If its not to much trouble and you could email it to me, that would hopefully be helpful. I just went to the school library, and they dont have anything there :(

I dont want it to automatically go to the next slide, I just want a longer fade in and out when I click to advance to the next slide.

Here is what I'm trying to accomplish: I'm doing a show, and as usual, they threw a bunch of crap at us last minute. We JUST got the computer we are working on (Ibook) yesterday, and we have to show the director what we have by Friday at 5:30. Its a bunch of images that are going to be on a gigantic (26'x16.6') screen behind the stage. They need to slowy fade in and out, not just quickly come up and go out.

Thanks for any help, I'm about to shoot the people at my school in the head.....

likeustoleit

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Maybe an animated gif ??? They can be made to fade really slowly at least with Fireworks or something like that.

edit for sppppeeeelllliing

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I don't know much about Powerpoint, other than throwing togther a couple of quick presentations. In Powerpoint 2003 you have 3 options for the slides to fade-Slow, Medium, Fast.
From the Toolbar menu: SlideShow>Slide Transition> Then choose the speed and the type of fade you want. Looks like you can change the animation settings, as well? Good luck.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
The problem is that powerpoint was invented to make stuffed shirts look clever as they presented their mindless drivel in bulleted form. I don't think it's possible to accomplish something artistic with it. I think you need to look into some other options, like Dreamweaver or Fireworks.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
BikeGeek said:
The problem is that powerpoint was invented to make stuffed shirts look clever as they presented their mindless drivel in bulleted form. I don't think it's possible to accomplish something artistic with it. I think you need to look into some other options, like Dreamweaver or Fireworks.
Amen! Powerpoint has its uses, but from the sound of what you're trying to accomplish, this isn't one of them. For the type of quick on screen demo your talking about I would use simple Flash animation. Of course that would mean that you need Flash and be able to use it, so I apologize if my comment was of no help at all. :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
BigMike said:
If its not to much trouble and you could email it to me, that would hopefully be helpful. I just went to the school library, and they dont have anything there :(

I dont want it to automatically go to the next slide, I just want a longer fade in and out when I click to advance to the next slide.

Here is what I'm trying to accomplish: I'm doing a show, and as usual, they threw a bunch of crap at us last minute. We JUST got the computer we are working on (Ibook) yesterday, and we have to show the director what we have by Friday at 5:30. Its a bunch of images that are going to be on a gigantic (26'x16.6') screen behind the stage. They need to slowy fade in and out, not just quickly come up and go out.

Thanks for any help, I'm about to shoot the people at my school in the head.....

Sorry for the delay...I had other work to do last night and didn't have a chance to get back online. In your case, slide transition won't necessarily work, I would try using the "Custom Animation" button, but your entire slide won't necessarily fade, use the items that you animate. You can always group all of the items and have them fade after they are animated and then click your mouse to go to the next slide. First click on teh slide you want to animate, then click on the "animation" icon (yellow star). A new toolbar should pop-up and you want the bottom right button (it's got a little arrow, clock and speaker). That will open the "Custom Animation" Window. Here you can animate the items (individually or as a group) and have them dim after the animation. You can also change how many seconds between animation effects to help with the timing a little. Probably not really what you want to do, but maybe it will help.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Thanks for all the input guys. We've figure out that we are gonna do all our fancy work in Final Cut Pro (which we are purchasing tomorrow) and then use Powerpoint as a facilitator. Basically, run a bunch of movie files through powerpoint.

hope it works

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
BigMike said:
I just want a longer fade in and out when I click to advance to the next slide.
Short answer: no.

Longer answer: PowerPoint was created as a tool for idiot salespeople and/or their administrative assistants to put together slide presentations. Therefore, it has been dumbed down as much as possible. For transitions you have 3 options. Slow, Medium and Fast. That's it.

If you simply want to have a presentation that fades from one image to another at a rate that you want, I suggest Flash as the tool of choice.

Good luck with using movie clips in ppt. I've had hit-or-miss results when embedding video in ppt.

Edit: I'm using Powerpoint 2000, so maybe Microsoft has improved its video capabilities since then.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
BigMike said:
Thanks for all the input guys. We've figure out that we are gonna do all our fancy work in Final Cut Pro (which we are purchasing tomorrow) and then use Powerpoint as a facilitator. Basically, run a bunch of movie files through powerpoint.

hope it works
Good call...PowerPoint wasn't really created to do what you would like it to.