Quantcast

need some softgoods advice!

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
so, heres the deal. my bikes are all dialed, but my gear is aging badly. my oakley ballistic shorts are 2 yrs. old and in shreds from many crashes. my helmet is 3 yrs. old and it stinks like hell, scratched to sh#t and probably not safe anymore. my camelback hawg is 4 yrs. old. uber nasty complete with blood soaked front (not my blood) from first aid use. shredded and torn from many a wreck in rock gardens. last years fox 911 leg armour has cracked knee cups, and my azonic body armour is 3 yrs. and trashed. i'm looking at the dakine apex for my new pack, specialized deviant 06 helmet or 661 pro bravo 06 (helmet needs to be sub 150$) i have no idea which shorts to get (i love built in chamoise on my oakley's) leg armour shouldn't crack when kneeling on rocks to make bike repairs (fox 911) and i don't want to spend a buttload on dainese body armour. any brand advice would be greatly appreciated. helmet,shorts,pack,leg armour, upper body armour what do yall recommend? thanx

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
As far as helmets, hit a moto shop. You can get a nice model for 100. Forget bike helmets.

For shorts you have 2 options.

Option 1 is to run cheap cotton shorts from a second hand shop, repair them as many times as you can, and replace them when that is no longer possible.

Option 2 is to get mega heavy duty shorts. I've never managed to rip any pair of cordura shorts.

My dianese has lasted fine for 3 years now, but I have had to repair it a few times.

Camelbaks: My camelbak was crap. Now I put a camelbak bladder in any old pack. Cheap and mo betta.

General advice: repair your stuff when it breaks. If you don't sew up a rip, it gets bigger and then you no longer have the option of sewing it up.

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
why a moto helmet? too hot and heavy. i ride motorcycles and cant imagine mtbing in one. oakley shorts were hella sturdy w/kevlar crotch, the rest of them didn't hold up (zippers and such) thanks for repair advice, point taken! maybe wifey can sew some rips and blown zippers for me. i'll have to ask real nice cause she doesn't like to go anywhere near my riding gear! (especially the shorts)

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I am a big fan of my Fox Flight Moto Helmet. $135 and damn comfy (for me at least)

As far as armor, a lot of guys on here are really digging RockGardn, and their new stuff looks really good! Personally, I have the 661 Pressure suit and Roach Knee/leg Pads (who were bought by someone else but I don't remember who). The Pressure suit is ok, not the greatest, but it does its job! (Over and over and over again) I think the Roach pads are the best, but like I said, I don't know who makes them now.

One thing I never leave to do DHing without is the 661 Wrist Wraps They are cheap, and they have saved my hands and wrists on multiple occasions! I am totally sold on them and highly recommend them.

as Far as camelbak's go, get a camelbak, not a cheap imitation. I love my Mule, holds lots of tools and water and food. Definantly a good pack, but thats a personal thing of what size you want.

As far as shorts, Chomps covered it.

My suggestion, go to a Moto shop and look around. You can find some GREAT stuff on clearance!

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I was in the same league as you, running gear that was way outdated. LOL I still have some of it though as it hasn't ripped or torn so it's staying active.

I picked up a Giro Mad Max helmet because it was in that $80-100 range and it fit my head better than the Bell or Pryme helmets that sell locally. Good helmet for the $$$. If I had to do it again I'd get a moto helmet but those cost $$$.

I rock the Rockgardn Flakjacket and Fate gloves. Their stuff is top notch and customer service rocks. I may look like a linebacker going down the hill but I feel safe, and it's worked more than once on saving me.

I am running the 661 knee/shin guards. I bought them because at the time I was cheap. If I had to do it again it'd be the Rockgardn stuff OR the Troy Lee guards. They are almost the same but built really tuff. The Roach stuff is excellent as well but again, I buy because of fit and not so much price.

Shorts I've been using the Azonic Catalyst stuff. Cheap and works well. The shorts are a bit baggy but for $40 I didn't care. Their stuff has always been good quality and easy to find. When I get a little smaller in size I'll go the Troy Lee route. Both companies make solid riding gear.

I'd buy things to how they fit your body. Even the clothing portion. I buy cheap jersey's because if you ruin one why be out $50? The shorts don't seem to damage as easy (atleast the coudoura? ones) last a while. Gloves last me forever as do body armor and helmets. But again, if they fit and work I don't typically replace them. It's just a personal prefrence.

gregminar

Chimp
Nov 13, 2005
OK, for your helmet i would get a giro mad max. They are super cool looking, lots of vents, and they fit real well. For your body armor i would FOR SURE by rockgardns flack jacket, and there sick new landing zone knee/shin guards. Rock gardn has AMAZING custemer serivice, and the owner (Mark) is a super cool guy. Id stay away from the dakine apex, my friends have them, but the staps fall off, and they get torn to shreds after a couple of rides. I have the cammelback havoc freeride pack, and its really good. Check out some of the new troy lee shorts, they look pretty nice. I know what its like, having gear torn up, because i also live in a town with A LOT of rocks! Good luck man.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I've got all Rockgardn gear with a Giro Mad Max and CamelBak HAWG. I love all the stuff. The Rockgardn stuff is extremely protective and really boosts your confidence. It's ventilated, comfy, and cool! For '06 there are lots of changes making the gear more comfortable and cooler. The shorts are durable, the knee gaurds don't move at all, the new Flak Jacket is super breathable, protective, and comfortable, and the gloves are bling for this year. The Giro is nice, it fits me well and has always worked. It's not the coolest but it's cheap and works well in crashes. For the CamelBak, I would get the MULE and not the HAWG. It's more compact and organized. I wish I had gotten it instead of the HAWG, but the HAWG works well too. I hope that helps!

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
go with the rockgardn stuff I have a pair of shorts from them, they are a bight on the heavy side but you said you wanted a material that did not ripe well then the rockgardn shorts would be the best for you. Their body armor is superb especially for 06, strong light it is the protection and confort of dainese maybe better and for like 150 dollars less. Ne gards still the best bet all redesigned for 06 stays where you put them, and not that much $$

click here: http://rockgardn.easystorecreator.com/Browse_Item_Details.asp/Item_ID/15

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I have the Apex it works great/ and no "Greg" it does not fall apart as long as you remmeber to strap all the straps for you knee and helmet armor back up before you ride, if you don't your tire will ripe them off. I learned this the hard way.

I thing Azonic is coming out with a nice helmet named Fury, it is going to be msrp for $70 and has like 16 vents to keep you comterable. It wont be out for a while but check it out http://azonicusa.com/

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
General advice: repair your stuff when it breaks. If you don't sew up a rip, it gets bigger and then you no longer have the option of sewing it up.
word... I've become pretty good at sweing! :thumb: Only way to get more life out of your gear...

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
thanxs guys, the input has been helpful! looks like rockgardn for me. how about leg armour. the new 911's look nice but if they are made out of the same crap as last years it,s a no way.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
^Yeah, the Rockgardn knee/shin gaurds are awesome. They don't move at all and they're surprisingly comfortable. The protection is awesome. The extend down a little further than most gaurds so you don't hit the bottom of your shin. I have had really good look with them.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
Rockgardn, Rockgardn, and Rockgardn!

dekine apex backpack or havoc

fox helmets, but i recomend giro, or bell helmets

have had all the stuff for two years and everything is still in perfect condition, except helmet, but if you fall they are going to get scratches. however there is no blood on it.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Moto Helmet. Getting a stick in a vent is no fun, and I´ve seen it happen several times. Plus bees and small, hairy little animals can crawl inside and nest in yout greasy mop. MMMMmmm. In addition, the ole noggin has never overheated on a ride, if it botherts you on a climb hang it off the bars. TSG or ProTec kneepads, BMX style. For the amount of injuries these things have prevented, they´re worth every penny. Never slide around. Great to pedal. No shin protection, but I don´t know how often you whack the shinnies. Elbows, I don´t know, I stopped wearing them, and I have never owned a chest protecter. Will get one soon, though. I might get some elbows when the races start again.