Quantcast

Need Suggestions for FS DS bike

Feb 18, 2004
California
i need a new frame for dual slalom and mountain cross.. i dont know how much suspension is too much or too little and i dont want a hardtail because i am to used to riding my banshee scream that a hardtail would just be too drastic change.. i just want something to absorb the bumps and protect me if i case.. any suggestions?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Look for something in the 2-3" range. A used Trek Fuel would be an excellent option. Obviously it won't last forever, but if you treat it like a race bike you should be able to get at least a season out of it.

I had a dirtworks Slalomander last season that had 3" of travel. I really liked it, but ended up getting rid of it since there is very little 4x racing in the Northeast and my DNA is way more fun at the trails while still being an excellent race bike.
After spending all winter racing indoors on the DNA I don't think I'd want to go back to a fs bike though. I really have gotten used to using the HT to my advantage.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
If you have enough get a sc mx blur (is that for sale yet) or an intense tazer. I have heard really good things about the tazer. GO to a store and get the current mountain bike action magasin. It is a buyers guide for all types of riding.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
What level are you looking at? Check out a GT ID-XC (4 inches travel in back, designed around a 4 inch fork) if you can find a frame alone...They're only sold complete as XC bikes.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
My personal favorite is the Specialized enduro SX. Its a sweet race bike. I still think slalom is better on a hardtail though. you can pump turns and jumps better, and you don't have to worry about suspension bob.

ricebowls

Monkey
May 24, 2002
san francisco
The Enduro SX make a great DS bike that you can use for trail riding as well, depending on how you set it up. But if you get a new one make sure you get the 4" travel SX and not the "trail" version which has like 6" of travel.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
A used Turner Rail would be sweet.
Edit: It looks like Beyondbikes.com is having a closeout sale on 04' mediums for $800 bucks.