Quantcast

Need suggestions on a FORK.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I have 2 options...

I can buy my GF's bike a fork for like $150 with 80/100 travel which will probably be a Manitou Black. Any suggestions on other forks in that range?

OR

I could upgrade mine and pass my Fox down to her........
So when I DO RIDE I prefer XC/Trail riding with some small drops and jumps.
I would be willing to purchase a 03/04 fork what are some suggestions. Lockout would be good and atleast 100mm travel.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
stosh said:
I have 2 options...

I can buy my GF's bike a fork for like $150 with 80/100 travel which will probably be a Manitou Black. Any suggestions on other forks in that range?

OR

I could upgrade mine and pass my Fox down to her........
So when I DO RIDE I prefer XC/Trail riding with some small drops and jumps.
I would be willing to purchase a 03/04 fork what are some suggestions. Lockout would be good and atleast 100mm travel.
upgrade yours!
a used talas would be nice...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'll sell ya a 2002 Mars fer cheap.

The fox on your bike is probably well suited for you unless you want an extra inch of travel, which is not worth $600.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
I'll sell ya a 2002 Mars fer cheap.

The fox on your bike is probably well suited for you unless you want an extra inch of travel, which is not worth $600.
Yeah I'm pretty happy with my fork now...
I'll just continue on my neverending search for a good/cheap for for my GF's bike.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yossarian said:
is the steerer tube on your fork long enough to fit her bike?

I think so her head tube is short, but thats a good thing to check.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yossarian said:
yeap, headache avoidance is worth a lot of money.

I thought someone found you the neg travel springs you needed for that other fork?
Yeah but I dont' think I'm gonna but that on her bike. I'm not sure what I'm doing with that fork now. :)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Get a TALAS, I sold my RLC in prime condition for $300 about a month ago. That's the best SC/QR fork I've ever used.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Can you still get Floats with lockouts? I never use the travel adjustment on my talas, so it's kind of a waste on me. The Floats are a bit lighter, a bit simpler, and probably a bit cheaper. If you are looking used to keep the price down, floats might be harder to find.

Definitely go with a Fox though, unless you can get a good deal on a Minute.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
Can you still get Floats with lockouts? I never use the travel adjustment on my talas, so it's kind of a waste on me. The Floats are a bit lighter, a bit simpler, and probably a bit cheaper. If you are looking used to keep the price down, floats might be harder to find.

Definitely go with a Fox though, unless you can get a good deal on a Minute.
WHy do you say Minute?
There's one for sale on MTBR now.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
WHy do you say Minute?
There's one for sale on MTBR now.
They are good forks. I've only done demo type rides with them... nothing extensive, but they don't seem as stiff as my Talas. Though, it could be a lot of things that made it feel that way.

Regardless, go with a fox unless you find a deal that can't be beat on a Minute. Supposedly SPV front and rear is pretty sweet.

Are you specifically looking for a new fork for yourself, or just taking this chance to possibly upgrade? Is your current Fox 100mm - i.e. do you want more travel?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MMcG said:
Stosh - If I were you I'd keep your fork on your bike and find something used for Aubrey's ride.
Since when does MMcG subscribe to the notion of NOT buying parts when given the chance?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jacksonpt said:
Since when does MMcG subscribe to the notion of NOT buying parts when given the chance?

I'm all about making the smart move......and in this case for Stosh I'd say that move is to get Aubrey a good used fork. This is based on what he's informed me of in terms of his budget.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMcG said:
I'm all about making the smart move......and in this case for Stosh I'd say that move is to get Aubrey a good used fork. This is based on what he's informed me of in terms of his budget.

YEah but there's 2 budgets one is for Aubrey's bike and one is for upgrading mine....
I think I'll stick with just upgrading hers.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jacksonpt said:
Picking it out is the easy part, it's paying for it that's a problem.

Acutally, my wife kind of lost her job, so everything is on hold for a while.

Holy crap man - what did/does your wife do and what happened to cause her to lose it (kinda?)?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jacksonpt said:
Picking it out is the easy part, it's paying for it that's a problem.

Acutally, my wife kind of lost her job, so everything is on hold for a while.
That sucks. Hope things work out OK jobwise.......

My wife has been out of work for... oh, about 4 years now. Of course, she chose to.

-S.S.-

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
She was/is a financial advisor (to more people than just me). She used to work for Primerica (they are part of Citi Group). She decided to go work for a different company (Mass Mutual). When she filed the first piece of paper work with Mass Mutual and Primerica got wind of it, they terminated her. Then, once all the Mass Mutual paperwork got filed, they denied her employment. The guy that's recruiting her said it was a mistake and it should be corrected soon, but until we know for sure and the pay checks start rolling in again, we are playing things pretty close to the vest.

All in all, not a big deal and nothing to worry about... but until everything is finalized and she's getting paid, we are putting all unnecessary things on hold. I tried to convince her that a bike was very much necessary - she didn't buy it.

According to the doctor she's due April 15. According to the ultrasound machine, she's due April 5. After her last checkup, the doctor said they will probably enduce (induce?) her early... potentially late March.

J

JRB

what's the word on a job for the wife, jackson?

what kind of fork did you get, stosh?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
jacksonpt said:
According to the doctor she's due April 15. According to the ultrasound machine, she's due April 5. After her last checkup, the doctor said they will probably enduce (induce?) her early... potentially late March.
Very cool Jackson! My daughter's birthday is April 16th, and mine is April 5th. Go Aries!!! :)