Quantcast

Need to now if this setup is goood!?

spyder_egg

Chimp
May 20, 2006
Hey boys, im just getting into biking. I need to know if this setup is alright for a mostly X-country with some jumping setup..

FRAME Santa Cruz Chameleon
FORK Manitou Mars 80mm
BAR/STEM RaceFace
BRAKE Shimano Pads
CRANK RaceFace
PEDAL Specialized Clip-ins
RIMS Shimano MH-575
FRT. DER. Shimano XTR
RR. DER. Shimano XTR
SHIFTER Shimano XT
SADDLE RaceFace
SEAT POST RaceFace
BIKE WEIGHT 22 LBS

PLEASE tell me what this bike is worth aswell..in Canadian or US funds. Thanks, i need to know soon!

Thanks

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
For XC it sounds good but definately not for jumping with that fork. The Mars would be my last choice for jumping. However, if you changed the fork it could do some jumping. I would say it's probably worth about $650.

You may also want to upgrade to disc brakes. And make sure it's the right size.

Good luck!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
You could get something like an old Marzocchi z1 which would be good for anything. Even, an EXR would be good- not the best, but solid and better than that manitou. If you are tight on money, you should get a used or even slightly used fork. That way, you can get something bettwe for less money, if its in good condition.

Those may be a little heavy for XC, so maybe someone else has some inexpensive ideas.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This sounds like an older Chamelon, the ones which broke when dj'ing with a 125mm fork...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
A Chameleon at 22lbs, especially with those wheels? I don't think so... :think:

Complete, I'd peg it at $500. Most of the value is in the frame.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
spyder_egg said:
Wow, why so low of a price??

So you guys are only saying that this bike is worth $500-$650??
Is everything brand new?
Also, the cranks/bars/etc.. RaceFace is a company with many levels of components...if those are "evolve" parts, they're worth significantly less, for instance.
If its used, yah $500 would be a good price. Brand new...obviously the fork isnt, and no one besides Westy runs v brakes, yeah maybe a little bit more worth to it...but its not going to fetch alot selling it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
spyder_egg said:
Wow, why so low of a price??

So you guys are only saying that this bike is worth $500-$650??
Listen to Burly. You haven't stated the condition of the bike, and that's a very incomplete parts list. It doesn't help that XC hardtails are "out" (and have been that way for 5 years...) and full-sus trailbikes are "in".

I have a friend who just bought an geared On-One Inbred for that much, and it had a nicer spec.

spyder_egg

Chimp
May 20, 2006
Ok, i do not know all the parts on this bike but I just stated the bigger components. All the parts on this bike havent been used much at all but the forks are getting fixed currently.. The condition of the bike itself is very good tho.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Your fork and wheels are relatively worthless. There you go.

Why do you care so much about the value? Just ride it.

Or maybe you stole it, and know nothing about bikes?

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
blue said:
Listen to Burly. You haven't stated the condition of the bike, and that's a very incomplete parts list. It doesn't help that XC hardtails are "out" (and have been that way for 5 years...) and full-sus trailbikes are "in".

I have a friend who just bought an geared On-One Inbred for that much, and it had a nicer spec.
the chameleon isnt an xc bike though

spyder_egg

Chimp
May 20, 2006
:nopity:

Not exactly...

my friend is trying to sell it to me for $1000 canadian, and i was just wondering if its worth it because I know nothing about bikes.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
spyder_egg said:

Not exactly...

my friend is trying to sell it to me for $1000 canadian, and i was just wondering if its worth it because I know nothing about bikes.
Nope. Not worth that.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
spyder_egg said:

Not exactly...

Okay...Yeah...not worth it. Check the MTBr classifieds and eBay for good deals on XC hardtails. Most of the stuff here is DH/FR.

spyder_egg

Chimp
May 20, 2006
Ok guys, I got another offer on a different bike.
It has all the best components but its a hardtail. Its in mint condition.

FRAME Brodie Bruzza
FORK Rock Shock Siphlos
BAR/STEM RaceFace
BRAKE Hanes Hydrolic
CRANK RaceFace
PEDAL Specialized Platform
RIMS Downhill
TIRES Tubeless Michelin
FRT. DER. Shimano XTR
RR. DER. Shimano XTR
SHIFTER Shimano XTR
SADDLE RaceFace
SEAT POST RaceFace
BIKE WEIGHT 24 LBS

Please tell me how much its worth!@

J

JRB

That bike doesn't weigh 24 lbs. You failed to state the level of RF components. If you are going to ask for help, it would be great if you gave the details. I have never heard of that fork.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Incomplete descriptions aren't helping you...Get some pictures, the condition the bike(s) are in, and specific part names.

It's like saying "I want to buy a Chevrolet, is it worth XXX$?"

What KIND of Chevrolet, bud? And where in God's name are you pulling these bike weights? I have a magnesium hardtail built LIGHT and it's 20-21lbs. Do they use a different lb in Canadia?

spyder_egg

Chimp
May 20, 2006
Ok sorry guys. Someone emailed me the specs on that bike and I didn't think it sounded very good. Forget about that one.

Now, back to the other bike...

FRAME Santa Cruz Chameleon
FORK Manitou Mars 80mm
BAR/STEM RaceFace
BRAKE Shimano Pads
CRANK RaceFace
PEDAL Specialized Clip-ins
RIMS Shimano MH-575
TIRES Bontrager
FRT. DER. Shimano XT
RR. DER. Shimano XTR
SHIFTER Shimano XTR
SADDLE RaceFace
SEAT POST RaceFace
BIKE WEIGHT 22 LBS

So you guys are saying that I should pay around $700 Canadian for it?

I was wondering why this price would be so low because I was told that this bike has the best components you can get and its worth $5500 Canadian new... Does anyone have an explanation why it would be so low now?

Thanks

p.s. Pounds are the same in Canada.

J

JRB

Again - Race Face has different levels of components. Even with top of the line, there are two groups of top of the line - XC and DH.

I don't believe for one minute that a Chameleon is 22 lbs, unless it is a 13" frame. That is a pretty heavy frame.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Chameleon frames clock in at about 5 lbs, and I believe those wheels are around 2000gs. The Manitou Mars is a pile of crap, at least by 2006 standards. Just don't buy it. Find a better deal, there's plenty to be had.

There's no way it was $5500 new.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wow, a 22lb Chameleon with a Manitou Mars that he spent $5500 building? That's an insane deal you should snatch that up in a minute! If you don't give him $1000, I'll give him $1500 US! That's a 1/3 off retail, what a steal! :rofl:

spyder_egg

Chimp
May 20, 2006
Ok..

I'm thinking about buying this bike for $750 (canadian) now and riding it for a while before I upgrade the shox to rock shox so i can start doing some small jumping.

Is this a good idea?
Any suggestions?

p.s. "the bike" is the one I have been talking about for awhile now...look up 4 posts.