Quantcast

Need your opinion on Schwinn road bikes

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
I might have an opportunity to pick up a schwinn road bike from my father in law. He use to be into running and riding, but he has had some health problems come up and he hasn't done much excercising for a while now. He has a Schwinn road bike he use to ride before he started running. It's just been sitting in his garage for at least 4 or 5 years now. At least that's as far as I can remember. I made a comment about taking it for a spin, and he kind of led me to believe that if I wanted it I could have it. I was thinking of checking it out closer and possibly using it when the trails are wet. With that said I already know I'm going to want to upgrade things on it. Would it be worth the investment to dump money into such an old schwinn, or would I be better off looking for something newer in the classifieds or something. I think it has the older manual shifters too.
Thanks,
JSB

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
it's free right? if you have never been on a rodie before, take it and find out for yourself what you do and don't like about it. Road bikes a wonderful and have been for a long time. For someone who has ridden a newer 16 lbs road bike, an older will not feel very fast. but if you have not ever been on a 16 lbs bike (you still have your virginity), then take it, even if you have to dump a couple parts into it. Then you will make a more informed decision. Who knows, you might hate it. But at least you didn't have to buy it to find out.

So what kind of schwinn is it? how old?

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Free is always good if you don't have to put a bunch of money into parts. My first roady was a Schwinn. It was and still is a good bike.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If it is a 90's model, it should be fine. It's not like they have had any great advances in road bike design lately. All they do is make them lighter and add more gears. The angles may be a bit slacker than the current bikes(HT 72ish instead of 74ish).

Nothing wrong with downtube shifters, either.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
they old schwinns are wayyy better made anyway. see if you can post up a pic of or something.