Quantcast

Needed: Signs for SST

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
I know we all were talking about signs for SST awhile back, wanted to ask again if anyone had the technolgy to make some. I dont have a printer that works right now.

I think whats need most is warnings at all 4 entrances. The other day x/c guy road right into the park without stoping, 2 seconds later I hear a scream and he falls off one of the drops. Saddly this is not the first time I have seen this. Anyway it might make the park a litte more ligit I guess, at least it would save unsuspecting riders from falling of drops.

-Kim

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
fuzzycatnuts said:
I know we all were talking about signs for SST awhile back, wanted to ask again if anyone had the technolgy to make some. I dont have a printer that works right now.

I think whats need most is warnings at all 4 entrances. The other day x/c guy road right into the park without stoping, 2 seconds later I hear a scream and he falls off one of the drops. Saddly this is not the first time I have seen this. Anyway it might make the park a litte more ligit I guess, at least it would save unsuspecting riders from falling of drops.

-Kim
Give me the text and the size you want (up to 11x17) ...and amount....I can dink around with some really annoying color text too....and can laminate for the 'temperate' climate that we call home.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Gex said:
Only problem with that is the kids and little hoodlums that come out there rip the signs down vandalize them and what not.
Yeah....just give me the info...I work where I can do this crap for free...I suck at photochopping though..trying to teach myself during slow times....haven't really been many of those lately.....and if anyone guesses Kinko's...I'll find out where you live and stab you in the jaw....

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
Secret Squirrel said:
Yeah....just give me the info...I work where I can do this crap for free...I suck at photochopping though..trying to teach myself during slow times....haven't really been many of those lately.....and if anyone guesses Kinko's...I'll find out where you live and stab you in the jaw....

My jaw doesnt want a stabbing *keeping mouth shut*

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Spray paint, tape, skil saw, wood, hammer, nails. You have a sign. Mark for a double diamond trail. Make it big and nail it high. Spray paint it on the street on the top of the coul de sac....

When i rode the shore everything has go arounds, may not be easy, but they are options.

The flow park is just additions to what was already an existing XC trail, and no where have go arounds been put in. So my thoughts if people who use the flow park want to keep it from getting bulldozed you should mark the old easy trail with gravel, or pavers or bricks spaced apart every couple feet. Something to help people from riding off the old trail and get hurt. If this was done you can mark on the sign stay on marked trail for intermediate.

Somebody out there has to have some access to some of this stuff. i really think my ideas are solid and will help prevent death for the Flowpark, and more people getting hurt.

There are people who think that biking is only there to progress your skills. There are people who think that biking is only about getting a workout. You have both kind of people riding the same spot, it's only a disaster if something isn't done about it.

Right now if i wanted to get rich all i have to do is land in a gap and complain about my back, get a good lawyer, and SST is dead. Now before you get all pissy about that, let me clarify i don't agree with this, but it's the reality of what happens in the States.

Wake up!

i hope some people can help Fuzzy out. Help out the riders who don't have the skills or experience that might fall and hurt themselves. Help yourselves out to keep the place you like to ride to challenge yourself.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Skookum said:
Spray paint, tape, skil saw, wood, hammer, nails. You have a sign. Mark for a double diamond trail. Make it big and nail it high. Spray paint it on the street on the top of the coul de sac....

good idea anyone got these items, I am poor :).

When i rode the shore everything has go arounds, may not be easy, but they are options.

Flow park does have a easy line with no drops or jumps, thats the go around. the flow park is differnt than the shore becuse its a small area with many lines not a long trail down a mountain, I dont think it would make sense to have a go around for every drop, the easy path down just needs to be marked like you suggested.

i hope some people can help Fuzzy out.

Thanks for the imput, lota good points.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
fuzzycatnuts said:
I dont think it would make sense to have a go around for every drop
i never suggested that. i just stated things how they are there.

But i will offer my opinion on go arounds. i don't care where or how the trail is, it always makes sense to make go arounds. Make them with some challenge too. For not only the reason to keep newbs or roadie mt. bikers from falling into gaps or drops, but to challenge them to try something harder. Just think of it as recruiting more people to your cause....

Anyways this is the same thing as D*****. You take a wrong turn there and you're gapping on a 20 foot drop, but like i've said SST is way more public and not a secret trail in the middle of nowhere.

fuzzycatnuts said:
the easy path down just needs to be marked like you suggested.
Sure it's alot of work to dig a little hole, put a brick every bike length, pack it down, and give it a squirt of bright orange. But the people who work there including yourself would do that work if it was another feature you want to ride.

Anyways good luck man, i hope the signs thing works out.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I'm really surprised someone hasn't put a warning sign up, at least one, explaining the terrain of the flow park. I see little kids and there parents getting caught in there all the time and don't know were to go with out getting hurt or hit by a rider.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
LOL...that gay thing is hilarious!!! anyways.....i dont know about signs. They havent worked in the past, and heres a guess...they probably wont work in the future. I saw people do the same dumb **** with the signs a while ago, as they did without the signs recently. So, why not save the effort of making the signs, and putting it into our riding/building. If someone is gonna come down blind and not check things out...then they kinda get what they had coming. sounds kinda harsh, but ya gotta learn sooner or later.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
there was a man who thought similarly to you....his name was Darwin. Unfortunately that theory wont covera any leagal behinds.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
The latest sings lasted for awhile and some are still up, but they have never been big enough for people to see as there riding down a trail tough. Most legal bike parks like blackrock, post canyon, and whistler have sings the warn the rider that if its a blackdimond trial with drops and gaps.

If we want the flow park to last we should take steps toward getting the city to aprove the area for this type of mountain bike trails. It would only take one person to hurt themselves and sue or complain to the city, and the complaint would sound vary ligit to anyone who does not freeride.

I am all for building on the trials as you know, but I have also had almost everything I built in the last 3 years torn down.

-Kim

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I tried the sign thing and failed miserably. I suggest the laminated printouts like the recent ones...not as flashy so less prone to vandals.

Even something simple like taking caution tape (doesn't seem to be a shortage of that stuff in the park, period) and tying it to a stick and wedging those at lips on jumps and ledges. At the very least, it will give riders at least a hint that something is there.

Sorry, Jumping Jesus. I said I wasn't going to post in this thread, but I guess I'm a big, fat liar. I'm glad I don't wear pants 'cuz they'd be on fire.

GmotoT

Chimp
Mar 22, 2006
Portland
It would be like hunting firewood when your camping. We'll just go through the XC trails and gather caution tape.. Im in...

GmotoT

Chimp
Mar 22, 2006
Portland
I think I'll head down tomorrow too, probably wont ride much.. my shoulder is still killing me. But I'd be willing to help with the warning stuff.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
bent^biker said:
im probably going to be down there tomorrow morning....i bring some orange flagging tape with me.
GmotoT said:
I think I'll head down tomorrow too, probably wont ride much.. my shoulder is still killing me. But I'd be willing to help with the warning stuff.
That would be awesome...thanks!:thumb:
I'm thinking ribbon off to the side of lips a'la coneage at Whistler. In time, signs could be added where needed.

Went down there today and things are looking solid...especially the rhythm section that Kim & friends put together.

A few of us got busy with the tools and cut out a new line across from the upper entrance. It's a simple rolldown into a berm that feeds you to a booter that shoots you off a hillside. Once it's completely dialed, it's going to be a hoot.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
is it muddy down there? I want to go but nobody else up here does cause they think its gonna be muddy.