Quantcast

Needz Moar Sweepz

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
After having surgery last year to repair a torn UCL on my thumb I really haven't been able to ride. My normal 780mm wide bars with 9 degrees of sweep put a lot of pressure right in my thumb crotch which currently is a giant mass of scar tissue and rather painful. I was thinking that a bar with more sweep would distribute more weight across my palm. I was thinking about going with a 12 degree bar but it looks like there are even sweepier options out there.

Anyone else running a bar with more than normal sweep? Are there any drawbacks other than possibly needing a longer stem to maintain reach?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
try rotating the bars some first, it'll vary the angle (and thus loading) on the outer part of your hand before dropping coin on a new bar.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
try rotating the bars some first, it'll vary the angle (and thus loading) on the outer part of your hand before dropping coin on a new bar.

I did explore various positions. Found I was a little happier rotating the brake levers up a bit but still rather unbearable. To be honest thumb crotch pressure was an issue before the injury and I had considered more sweep before, now it may be necessary. It would help to keep my elbows out a little bit more, but I require more alleviation that that provides.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I get that sometimes on my rigid (fatbike) when the going gets rough, maybe play around with grips. I hate ones that are too big, but maybe there's a better way than how you are doing it. Also, fork damping/quality of travel and brake lever position (lever distance and rotation) seem to have a lot to do with it. This was one of the reasons I had to go to a fully though for XC races, I just can't pound my body like some of the younger guys on hardtails. I've ridden a mustache before and I can't recall this happening with it, but you get so much less lateral control with a mustache that I would have to be real desperate to go that route to solve it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Thanks for the link. I was actually looking at the SQlabs. My kind of confirmed my initial assumptions. I will probably try out a 12 degree bar, will add a little rise as I think it will provide further improvement to my flat bar.
a shorter stem may also help, it shifts the body into a slightly more upright position (and subsequently helps reduce how weighted your hands are)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Seems to be worst when my fingers are on the brakes? Not a function of brake power or finger fatigue, but the thumb-crotch as you say...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Thanks for the link. I was actually looking at the SQlabs. My kind of confirmed my initial assumptions. I will probably try out a 12 degree bar, will add a little rise as I think it will provide further improvement to my flat bar.
did you wind up getting those? are you able to ride these days?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
did you wind up getting those? are you able to ride these days?
I did get the 12 degree bars. I have done one ride on dirt with them. Hand felt pretty good, unfortunately my thumb swelled up like all balloon a few hours after the ride, still isn't normal.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I did get the 12 degree bars. I have done one ride on dirt with them. Hand felt pretty good, unfortunately my thumb swelled up like all balloon a few hours after the ride, still isn't normal.
Crappy. I presume you are maxing out on physio?