Quantcast

Neethling's 2009 Mongoose Proto DH Bike

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Don't know any of this stuff yet, or anything about Boxxers at all, actually, but hoping to pick up a WC soon. Is there a "kit" for this conversion? Do I just call RS and tell em I blew the Solo air cartridge and I need the Spring Upgrade? Is it Team parts?
why bother? it'd be a downgrade, imo. the air spring is dead reliable, infinitely tunable & lighter. plus there's no spring to stantion rub. i love my wc air.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Strange, that's not really the vibe I've been getting on them. In my desparate search for a WC here for the last month or two, I've prob found 6 or 7 now with blown air cartidges and "fixed" with a spring...

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Strange, that's not really the vibe I've been getting on them. In my desparate search for a WC here for the last month or two, I've prob found 6 or 7 now with blown air cartidges and "fixed" with a spring...
ok, so now you have a boxxer team, with the wc white lowers with red decals. . . . . worth the extra cash for white lowers?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
It doesn't travel rearward, remember that the suspension is bottoming too. It doesn't feel like the front end and the BB are separating. I asked this very same question before I bought one, as will everyone else who looks at them curiously!
the bb DOES travel rearward with the high pivot reducing the chain growth.
just imagine the arcs. i think its a good design, a few to many
pivots to get the same feel as a high pivot with roller, but you have
to have something to "market".

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
the bb DOES travel rearward with the high pivot reducing the chain growth.
just imagine the arcs. i think its a good design, a few to many
pivots to get the same feel as a high pivot with roller, but you have
to have something to "market".

do you suppose, on a design like this, that the rider is considered unsprung weight?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
do you suppose, on a design like this, that the rider is considered unsprung weight?
yes in a way. i have build bikes like this than they work
great with limited bb movement. the bb is HANGING from
the hight pivot ans swings back and forth through the travel.
with like 4'' it is not noticeable. get into 8 and i was able to
notice and made it easier to loose the pedals.

now with all the pivots of this bike your bb doesn't move
quite as much as the lower link straightens out.

rbx

Monkey
To the people that think that the mongoose design is just another way of doing the high pivot with roller and chain design your mistaken,
The mongoose will have higher anti-squat,there's a purpose to the design its not just a gimmick.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
ok, so now you have a boxxer team, with the wc white lowers with red decals. . . . . worth the extra cash for white lowers?
Actually, I don't have ANY yet. That was a part of my next question: is if it's basically an expensive Team model.
Zutroy and I spoke about this a bit and I'm understanding some peoples "needs" for the spring conversion/misunderstanding of the Solo air..

But it would be nice to know that you can convert it and still be able to ride with a few less expensive parts on hand than a spare air cart.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
the bb DOES travel rearward with the high pivot reducing the chain growth...
If you read my whole post I was referring to rider feel, not what you can see when you lay it on your couch and wiggle stuff(and yes, I know what you're saying, just being sarcastic). I think if you ride around on the bike just waiting to feel it move...you're going to feel it move. If you jump on the bike and pay attention to where you wanna go, your feet won't notice anything. And I've never lost the pedals, yet, but I don't have nearly as much time on the system as i would like. That'll change after my ECD arrives...

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
BCD - about the high pivot/roller comment - I've had a BB7 in the past and now an ECD and can vouch that the ECD pedals infinitely better than the BB7 (but at the expense of some plush plownessity). The designs definitely do not achieve the same end result. The other benefit of the ECD design with the subtle BB movement is you do not get that lengthening rear end, feels-like-ass-turning-and-bunnyhopping feel that some high pivots feel like, despite both designs being intended to address chain growth issues.