Quantcast

Neethling's 2009 Mongoose Proto DH Bike

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
regarding the fork, sven mentioned that this wasn't the fork he'll be running this year.

the fork in the feature is an older franken-fork he put together from parts at home until his new one comes in...fyi.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Just curious. I am still relatively new to Boxxers. I have the Team and always wonder how much, if any, of an advantage the air is.

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Air is used for the weight savings and adjustability, and the bling factor of having the latest and greatest fork.....the same on Sam Hill rides.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
man mongoose is looking fresh right now...

we were just talking about them being on the verge of the 'cool' company this weekend...

funny how most of us would have scoffed at the mention of them a year or 2 ago...They have the capacity to bring low cost high quality bikes to the market...pretty cool if you ask me.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Air is used for the weight savings and adjustability, and the bling factor of having the latest and greatest fork.....the same on Sam Hill rides.
And here is the price you pay for it:

2008 MSRP

Boxxer World Cup solo air: $1495
Boxxer Team coil: $895

and to compare:

Totem solo air: $1090
Totem Coil: $1000

So, there is a $600 price difference between the solo air and the coil boxxer.
And there is a $90 price difference between a totem solo air and a coil totem.

In both forks the only difference is the spring type.
Boxxer Team FTW.

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
Is this an episode of Back to the Future?
Seems like a discussion from like end of 2005, early 2006...

Can we get back on topic of Needles new rig?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Is this an episode of Back to the Future?
Seems like a discussion from like end of 2005, early 2006...

Can we get back on topic of Needles new rig?

Amen!
Actually, I would like to learn about Boxxers, but that new frame HAS to come first! Man...my 07 ECD is getting shipped tomorrow, now I feel REALLY outdated!
That thing looks light, nimble, and very clean. I think if it were mine, it'd get a stealthy, minimal flaked silver paint job with charcoal graphics. Keep it mellow...which is odd if any of you have ever seen my bikes!
I'd like to know the geo. Someone start diggin, I lack the connections!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Oh, and yeah, everyone I know laughed at me last summer when I boldly stated that Mongoose WILL become a major contender in 08 and 09, if not one of the top 5. I'm curious and excited to see it happen!

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
the thing looks like a Unified Rear Triangle design, with some extra pivots...doesn't it feel weird when the bike cycles thru it's travel, having the bottom bracket pivot rearward in relation to the seat/bars???:twitch:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
the thing looks like a Unified Rear Triangle design, with some extra pivots...doesn't it feel weird when the bike cycles thru it's travel, having the bottom bracket pivot rearward in relation to the seat/bars???:twitch:
Heh, I asked that in another thread and got all the mongoose fans telling me I was a hater. Some less rabid mongeese told me you don't feel it move, but it does move.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Heh, I asked that in another thread and got all the mongoose fans telling me I was a hater. Some less rabid mongeese told me you don't feel it move, but it does move.
TeeHee...! No one called you a "hater"...just ignorant. Oh wait...that was me...
But yesno, it DOES move, but not like you think it would. If you're starring at the pivots while you bounce on it in a parking lot, you'll see it. If you're RIDING the bike, pumping it through whoops or snugglin into a berm, it's not there. No reason to lie...
It's scary like everthing else unknown. There's really not that much that moves once you can physically play with one. I mean, the linkages and stuff MOVE, but in relation to the bars and front triangle? you won't notice. I don't know how to describe it... just buy, steal, or borrow one. If I lived closer I'd gladly let you take mine for a rip. Someone pay my gas and I'll drive it down from SOUTH DAKOTA right now to play!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Yeah, that one. I know 1998 is the one replicated but wasn't there red crowns in 2002 also?
and 1999, 2000, and 2001 as well but they were a brighter shade of red than what was used in 2002. the 1998 oem boxxer used grey polished crowns. Prior to '99 only the factory forks had red crowns and, technically, the red fork legs and crowns on the factory bikes this past season were replicas of the 1997 factory team forks which later became the 1998 fork that the public could buy (minus the red crowns of course).

nerd alert:busted:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
It doesn't travel rearward, remember that the suspension is bottoming too. It doesn't feel like the front end and the BB are separating. I asked this very same question before I bought one, as will everyone else who looks at them curiously!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Damnit...Neethling's got a audio "write up" on it on Littermag and even mentions a head angle and toptube length change...then doesn't say what they were! He said that it "fits taller people better" though. I'm assuming that means the Large got a tad longer?
It's also an 83mm BB width now.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
and 1999, 2000, and 2001 as well but they were a brighter shade of red than what was used in 2002. the 1998 oem boxxer used grey polished crowns. Prior to '99 only the factory forks had red crowns and, technically, the red fork legs and crowns on the factory bikes this past season were replicas of the 1997 factory team forks which later became the 1998 fork that the public could buy (minus the red crowns of course).

nerd alert:busted:
Haha, sorry i'm not very well read in the History of the Boxxer. Lets keep in mind I was 7 at the time. :imstupid:

ridemon08

Chimp
Feb 28, 2008
Ohio
Just got a new Black Diamond Double, only rode it a few times, but so far it rocks! It solid with decent components and the geometry feels like I could ride just about any terrain, but will also take a nice downhill beating. Mongoose has my vote!

psychobiker

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
charlotte nc
man mongoose is looking fresh right now...

we were just talking about them being on the verge of the 'cool' company this weekend...

funny how most of us would have scoffed at the mention of them a year or 2 ago...They have the capacity to bring low cost high quality bikes to the market...pretty cool if you ask me.
yes its always a pleasure to explain that this is not a walmart bike to my customers.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
he, as well as many other RS athletes have been running coil sprung Boxxer's for a while. this has been on the forums a bunch, but well spotted.
Don't know any of this stuff yet, or anything about Boxxers at all, actually, but hoping to pick up a WC soon. Is there a "kit" for this conversion? Do I just call RS and tell em I blew the Solo air cartridge and I need the Spring Upgrade? Is it Team parts?