Quantcast

Negative view of Stan's Notubes

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was calling other shops for a friend looking for a Rhyno-Lite Stan's strip. I tried big Bay Area chain shop, and I received a mini lecture on why they did not carry Stan's.

He first said it doesn't work with all tires (true), and it was difficult to install (not true), so they chose not to carry them.

I didn't like hearing a parroted opinion, and I did not bother to mention how I use Stan's myself. But I thought it was interesting a big chain of stores would not carry a very popular product.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Sanjuro - if you haven't found any rim strips yet, I have some Maxxis rim strips that are made to fit Rhyno-lites. they are yours for $10.00 if you want them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Stans is a messy pain in the ass. But much less of a pain than me fixing flats every 5 miles.

A Stans setup is not for the rider who takes their bike into the shop because of a flat. A lot of shops main customers are the type of people who bring bikes in to have flats fixed so I see why they don't carry it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Westy said:
Stans is a messy pain in the ass. But much less of a pain than me fixing flats every 5 miles.

A Stans setup is not for the rider who takes their bike into the shop because of a flat. A lot of shops main customers are the type of people who bring bikes in to have flats fixed so I see why they don't carry it.
I have gotten better installing it, as long I remember to put the valve at the top of the wheel when I inflate...

Actually, I did say on the phone, "You must like fixing flats". However, I could see selling it without installing it, like when I sell patch kits.

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
We sell it and do well with it. Ive not found a tire yet i couldnt get it to work with, and we do stans in tubless as well as stans in non tubless rims with non tubless tires. I was actually impressed the first time i used it on a stumpjumper that didnt have tubless rims or tubless tires. I put in the rim strip like it said and threw on the tires put the juice in and presto, they inflated once they sealed which didnt take long they were set, that customer hasnt been back for a flat since. We also get alot of people putting nontubless tires with there already tubless rims to cut wieght. I will say it is a little difficult to install on a used tire vs a new tire but ive still got um to go on. As for why that other shop doesnt sell it, thats kinda crasy, not the avg biker is gonna use them. Its not like it goes in tehre tube or anything so unless its a rider who wants tubless or wants to enhance there tubless they wont use it. They are just losing out on a extra sale if you ask me.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Our shop carries it as well. We also make a point to carry just the rim strips as well, althought I feel they are a bit pricy. I have never had one bad experience with stans. every rim / tire combo I have used has worked without problems. We use it on all our bikes 4 dh, 6 xc, and 6 friders. I can install a set of strips and tires in under 45 min. I use a compressor to seat the tires, hand pump um up to 70 pounds, swishum around a bit and let them sit overnight, nex day drop the pressure down to ride level and just check them befor any major rides. all that crap about soapy water and such like had seen in mt bike fiction is just a bunch of page filler. Hell on a couple of rims I did not even drill out the rims to hide the stem bump. 2 years of stans use, not one problem!!!

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I'm considering switching to these for next season. You have to let them sit over night? Is that just the first time or any time you switch tires?

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Some shops have idiots working there.

My LBS is convinced that you cant put a bike with hydraulic disc brakes upside down or it will get air in the system. I actually store mine upside down in my garage.

For guys who know everything, they don't know very much.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
sanjuro said:
I have gotten better installing it, as long I remember to put the valve at the top of the wheel when I inflate...

Actually, I did say on the phone, "You must like fixing flats". However, I could see selling it without installing it, like when I sell patch kits.

I've gotten good at it too. Swapped out a pair of Conti Verticals yesterday. I spent more time removing the wheels from the bike than actually working with the tires.

J

JRB

Contis just blow right up. My Kenda separated like they can. That said, I don't have it on my FR bike, and I flatted on the second ride.

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
Just use a perforated 20x1,25" BMX tube as rimstrip and 6~7oz of a 4:1 water/latex mix... and forget Stan's

I've been using this on my DH and my AM, and just have two flats in 3 years and over.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I've been running Stan's since 2003. I orginally used it on my Bonti tubless rims, then when I got my Spinenergy Xyclones I got the rim strips. I've not had any problems, and have gotten pretty good at installing them. Conti Verticals were easy to install, my Schwalbe Racing Ralphs were a but of a pain, but since I've yet to have a flat in 2 years it's worth it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've had an excellent experience with Stan's. I've had them on Rhyno Lites, and run Michelin tubeless tires. They've been flawless.

The only hassle with changing tires is how hard it is to remove and install tires onto the Rhyno Lites, and has nothing to do with the Stan's setup.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The only major problem I have had with Stans is getting holes in the rimstrips. I used to run the tire pressure up to 60 psi when first mounting the tire to make sure the bead seated, hoping to prevent tire wobble. It seems at the higher pressures can cause the rimstrip to press into the rim and actually get cuts from the spoke holes. After ruining two rimstrips I have carefully deburred the spoke holes in the rims and stopped running the pressure so high and have had no further problems.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
binary visions said:
I've got a double thick layer of some really tough rim tape, which seems to prevent that problem.
So did I. The rim seemed to have burs on the holes that eventually cut through everything. It did take 3 years for the problem to show up.

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
Westy said:
The only major problem I have had with Stans is getting holes in the rimstrips. I used to run the tire pressure up to 60 psi when first mounting the tire to make sure the bead seated, hoping to prevent tire wobble. It seems at the higher pressures can cause the rimstrip to press into the rim and actually get cuts from the spoke holes. After ruining two rimstrips I have carefully deburred the spoke holes in the rims and stopped running the pressure so high and have had no further problems.

If you buy the kit it comes with some tape that is ment exactly to reduce this, you put the tape on the rim over the holes, then put in the rim strip. what works better tho is using velox strip then place the stans strip over it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
dfinn said:
I'm considering switching to these for next season. You have to let them sit over night? Is that just the first time or any time you switch tires?
If you're using non tubeless rims, get the maxxis strips. The work WAY more consistently than the flat stan's strips. They've got them at olympic. Use the stan's goo though. Just buy a bottle without the complete kit.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Some shops refuse to carry them because of liability issues ("You're having the rim/tire do something it wasn't designed to do") blah blah....I love Stan's. :)

Apr 3, 2005
12th smartest state
ok i dont mean to ruin your party but could someone plz explain to me what this stans stuff is cus im getting a headache....im not too big on the technical stuff cus on my old bike i just used rim tape and the occasional ducktape of the rougher spots but now that i got my new bike i need to be nicer to it.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Stans No-Tubes is a system for converting conventional rims/tires/tubes to a tubeless system of rims/tires.

It basically consists of a special rubber rim tape, with a valve stem attached to it. The beat of your tire sit's against this fancy rim tape, and the Stans fluid (which is the cause of the controversy) helps to seal the air gap where the tire meets the rim tape.

It also works like slime to seal any thorn punctures you might get in the future.

Drawbacks are:
a) It's a pain to inflate the tire. It takes a good amount of air volume and a little finess.
b) Some think it's not as reliable as conventional methods. If the bead seperates from the rim strip you lose air instantly.
c) Some people have had tire/stans fluid compatability issues where the fluid would apparently ruin the tire. This is supposedly because tires are designed to hold air, not fluid.

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
Biscuit said:
b) Some think it's not as reliable as conventional methods. If the bead seperates from the rim strip you lose air instantly.
Hey, that's almost impossible. The rimstrip get welded to the tire with dry latex!!!

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Bati said:
Hey, that's almost impossible. The rimstrip get welded to the tire with dry latex!!!
I've had both. Once I was literally cutting my sidewall trying to get the bead off the rim because it was "glued" with sealant.
Another time, using a conversion kit on 521's, my front tire blew instantaniously while bombing down a hill. The tire was fine, it just didn't hold.

I've also seen a lot of "burping" when usinng tubless tires and rims. When really pushing through corners, the bead breaks loose just enough that a little fluid leaks out. It's pretty easy to spot in dusty conditions.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I've run Stan's in my Mavic UST rims (old D3.1's, now EX823) with Hutchison Octopus tires for 2 years without a single flat. I just put a little Stan's in the tire at the beginning of each Spring.

edit:
It's worth noting that I have lots of little holes in my tires, but Stan's keeps them from going flat. In fact, I only air up my tires every ~2 months and I ride aggressively 2-3 times per week.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Like what Blue said, I know some shops will not carry Stan’s to cover their own butt because, from what I been told, Stan’s does not have liability insurance for the product that may or may not be true. I’m running Stan’s on three bikes without any problems so far. Two with UST rims and the other is converted with Maxxis 2.0 Larsen TT, Hutchison 2.0 Pythons and WTB 2.4 Mutanoraptors. A few of my friends are running the DT Swiss conversion and they say it is lighter and easier to work with.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I've had mixed results, but still feel they work much better than tubes. The most irritating part for me is having to put a tube in a Stan's tire out on the trail. It is just a big old mess. I carry a few diaper wipes with me just for this reason (plus one other, related to too much coffee before early morning rides).

Anyway, here are the issues I've had with Stan's:
1. Continental Explorer developed a large bulge in the sidewall while running Stan's. Started rubbing the seatstay. Had to walk home, almost 8 miles.
2. Ripped sidewall on a Specialized Roll-X while running Stan's. Required installing a tube.
3. Had two punctures that Stan's did not seal quickly enough. Was not able to reinflate on the trail. Required installing a tube each time.
4. Twice I didn't refresh the sealant soon enough and the tire just went flat on the trail. Required installing a tube each time.
5. Had a tire that was sealed fine start burping air after riding in significant water/mud for extended periods. Had to add air regularly until I cleaned it all up and started fresh.

Issues without using Stan's:
1. A million flats of all types.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Carbon Fetish said:
Like what Blue said, I know some shops will not carry Stan’s to cover their own butt because, from what I been told, Stan’s does not have liability insurance for the product that may or may not be true.
Definitely not true. No distributor will carry a product from a company that is not properly insured.

Glad to hear so many of your are enjoying the product. I don't have the time to comment on everyones posts but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.