Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Dutch Agency Cries Fowl Play in Shooting
Nov 15
By TOBY STERLING
Associated Press Writer

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands

The Dutch animal protection agency demanded prosecution Tuesday for the shooting of a sparrow that knocked over 23,000 dominoes during an attempt to set a world record.

The ill-fated bird flew into an exposition center Monday in the northern city of Leeuwarden, where employees of TV company Endemol NV had worked for weeks setting up more than 4 million dominoes in an attempt to break the official Guinness World Record for falling dominoes.

The common house sparrow _ of a species on the national endangered list_ was chased into a corner and shot by an exterminator with an air rifle.

"Under Dutch law, you need a permit to kill this kind of bird, and a permit can only be granted when there's a danger to public health or a crop," said agency spokesman Niels Dorland. "That was not the case."

"I might add: Is it really necessary to kill a bird that knocked over a few dominoes for a game?" he asked.

Dorland said the agency plans to submit the case to national prosecutors.

The Endemol organizers, who are out to break their own record of 3,992,397 dominoes during a live television broadcast on Friday, defended the killing.

"That bird was flying around and knocking over a lot of dominoes. More than 100 people from 12 countries had worked for more than a month setting them up," said Endemol spokesman Jeroen van Waardenberg.

He said the company was considering some kind of memorial or mention for the dead bird during the television broadcast Friday.

Dorland, the animal protection group spokesman, scoffed.

"I think they were awfully fast to pull out a rifle. If a person started knocking over a few dominoes they wouldn't shoot him would they?"

Hans Peeters, director of the Netherlands Bird Protection agency, said the killing was uncalled for.

"They could have captured it or sedated it or something," he said.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I wish my job was to set up 4million domino's.

How do you get that job?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
There are groups offering a 2000-3000 Euro reward to the guy that knocks them over to avenge the birds death.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Good for them. It's asinine to kill something over some stupid human trick like this domino crap, whether or not it's endangered. It must be frustrating if you've spent your time setting them up, but if a bird knocks down .6% (23000 of 4mil) of the setup, is it worth killing it?

I was at a pre-wedding party at the inner harbor in baltimore this summer and there was a bird caught above the netting on the patio ceiling that's to keep the birds out, ironically. Apparently it had been trapped there for two days. Our waiter was upset that the manager wouldn't get it out, and animal control would only come and get it if it died. We weren't that keen about having it die over our heads so we helped the bus-folk and the waiters get a big ladder (ceiling was about 30ft) and a telescoping pole with a hooked soup ladle handle lashed to it to open the net and let it out. I guess it would have just been easier to shoot the thing, but I think it was better to help it get out...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Tenchiro said:
There are groups offering a 2000-3000 Euro reward to the guy that knocks them over to avenge the birds death.
outstanding.

How about we all fly over there and kick over a bunch of dominos for free?! (then some teeth)

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
"He said the company was considering some kind of memorial or mention for the dead bird during the television broadcast Friday. "

hahaha.