Quantcast

nemisis project or black market

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
I am new to the 24" / 26" bikes for dirt and street. :happydance: I have road some XC but not a lot. I started out riding bmx and if I did not brake my elbow I would not be looking at a 24" / 26" bike for dirt and street. I am looking at the black market mob and one of the frames by brad at nemisis project. Here is a list of parts that I am going to put on the frame. What do you all think is a better frame and why. I would love to hear from people that have used them what they think and why they think I should go that way. Also if they think I should go 24" or 26" wheels. I would be grateful for any help.

Fork :Nemesis Project mod Marzocchi 4X
Stem:Nemesis Project
Bars:Nemesis Project
Cranks:Profile Race SS, ti spdl 175
Chainring:Animal Animal light 36t
Pedals:Atomlab Trailking
Wheelset:Atomlab Pimplite 36 (24" ? 26")
Tires:Tioga FS100

-Brian

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
dexter what frame do you use ? I like the look of the secret agent and one good thing is you can run 24's on it. I am leaning more towards 24" wheels being that I am only 5ft 7 and like the feel of a small bike. I will most likely put my 26" XC rims on at one point but I think i am going 24's to start.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Black Markets will save you about $200 over a Nempro even if you get the Mob, or like $400 if you get the Riot. That's a lot of parts. But def 26" frames. And just my opinion, but unless you're going to jump all the way up to 26s, I'd just stay with a BMX. I've never understood the point of 24s... again, just my opinion, not an argument people!

njdeadhead

Monkey
May 16, 2007
THRILLSEEKA as I sad I would stay with a bmx if I could. I need the shock on the front so it can take some of the shock from my hiting my elbow. That is why I started riding XC in the first place to keep on doing some thing I love so much. So I see what you mean by whats the piont of 24" wheels but it is the best of the 2 worlds.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
24" wheels on a 24" specific frame will ride REALLY well. a lot of people bag on 24's for whatever reason, but most of them really don't know whats up. they give you the best of both worlds for sure. i know the feeling of 20's, 24's and 26's as i have spent a lot of time riding all three. i would say go for a frame with the shortest stays you can find, which is another reason to go for a 24" specific frame. bottom line IMO, is if you want to really ride street, most 26" frames are out of the question except for the few that have really short stays...i would look into a nemPRO deathmobile or a union street molly.

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
You're kind of comparing apples to carrots on this one. You can eat em both but one is going to be far tastier than the other. Go with the NemPro, you won't ever think twice afterwards. Oh, and 26's fo sho.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
well i actaully have both a secret agent and a deathmobile. looks for the thread hello ladies on here to check them out. i never liked 24's but always rode them on 26 frames and when brad so graceously offered me a deathmobile i clouldnt turn it down. i love the thing to death and it feels so dialed its stupid

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
24" deathmobile for me.. so sick.. and it truly is best of both worlds.. bmx parts, bit bigger wheels for trails, and the squishy front to take the edge off.. i say go 24..

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
coming from a bmx i would say that you should go with 24's its less of a jump as to 26's. also if u do choose to go with 24's get a 24" specific frame like what was said above. i would go with a nemesis death mobile

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
I run a death mobile, amazing bike. Anyone who ive let ride it has been blown away and im sure you will be to. Worth every penny.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
So becasue everyone hear is saying that nemisis is the best, i guess i'll be diffrent. Go black market, i got a mob and love it plus it's got cool graphics "bro"...........

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
yea but its not 24 specific, riding 24 in wheels on a 26 designed frame is like lwhen mexicans put those tiny ass 10in wheels on cars/trucks designed for normal 14-18 inch wheels. it rides crappy, looks stupid, and performs horribly. right tool for the right job my man

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
yea but its not 24 specific, riding 24 in wheels on a 26 designed frame is like lwhen mexicans put those tiny ass 10in wheels on cars/trucks designed for normal 14-18 inch wheels. it rides crappy, looks stupid, and performs horribly. right tool for the right job my man
WHAT??? You mean that's not cool anymore??? How in the hell am I supposed to keep up with all these radical customs here in the midwest??? Dangit!

SO...on street-specific bikes.... are there any advantages to running 26s? I can understand 20s obviously, I kinda see 24s as the smallest you can really go and run a suspension fork, plus the shorter chainstays, manueverability, weight, etc.
26s are great for runnin over stuff, stairsets, etc. But I don't really mess around with stairs and crap anyway. Damnit. I would consider myself a 26 believer, but I find myself DROOLING over BMX vids and now considering 24s and a Tonic... WHAT'S HAPPENING TO ME???? AHHHHHHHH!

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
WHAT??? You mean that's not cool anymore??? How in the hell am I supposed to keep up with all these radical customs here in the midwest??? Dangit!

SO...on street-specific bikes.... are there any advantages to running 26s?
Uuuh, it's fvckin fun. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Good, great, go have fun and let someone else speak.

I want to advance as quickly as possible in street skills. Thinking I may have to step down to 24s, learn the basics, then, if I still feel the need to ride a different line, bring what I learned to 26s. I don't really know anything else. I rode 20" back in the late 80s, then got into DH/freeride in like 99, and had never touched a hardtail until about 4 months ago. I've really only started learning stuff within the last month, and my only "cool" thing is 180 bunnyhops off big ledges, but I'm still 50% on my rollouts. But I'm 34 and got nothing to prove so it's all fun. But if 24s can help me have MORE fun... then I'm down with it! I'll be on 26s until my Riot gives up...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
From someone that was in the same boat 6 months ago: get a BMX.

First, I had a DOC. Loved it, was forgiving, but found that on tech stuff it just lacked. Stumbled upon the 24" of love thread, got a Tonic, thought it was awesome. Started to feel again that the suspension was a bit unnecessary for most stuff, wanted to learn more tech stuff (LIKE THE 3 HOP I JUST PULLED STOKAGE!) and just wanted a simpler, lighter setup. Ended up with my BMX and found everything to be so much easier.

A 24" bike will feel good, and it's more forgiving, but BMX allows you to learn and truly be flowy.

I say save the Riot, or even get a dual suspension, for MTX/stairs/big DH-style dubs (your Bottlerocket would be perfect) and then have a dedicated 20" street bike.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I've still got my SX, never did go for the BottleRocket(and glad I didn't), but I haven't even sat on it since Feb!
I've tried riding my buds' DIALED BMX bikes(the one's a Ti frame, slotted in strange places...?) and just don't like it. Seriously. I am a little biased of course as I'm a mtn biker thu and thru, but I gave it an honest go and just didn't feel it. What makes it worse is that the 20" guys I ride with all want to get 26ers! I'm so confused...
I'm not looking to go pro ever and if I could ride street half as well as ANY of the 26" guys who's names are readily known I'd be perfectly happy. I just wanna have fun! I'm sure in time my Riot will get me there... just trying to keep my mind open...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
DUDE HE'S GOT A TI REAPER! I want that bike so bad.

Try out a 21" TT bike with big bars (8" rise/28" width) and then see.

BMX bikes are so awesome. Seriously. Learning goes so much faster.

Pics of your bud's bike pleeeeeease?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I really like the 24"s for the trails/DJs and park. I just built up a 26"er hardtail with some parts I have laying around and while it's a cool bike the USB is still my favorite.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
DUDE HE'S GOT A TI REAPER! I want that bike so bad.

Try out a 21" TT bike with big bars (8" rise/28" width) and then see.

BMX bikes are so awesome. Seriously. Learning goes so much faster.

Pics of your bud's bike pleeeeeease?

it'll be awhile for the pics, he's in a town about 1.5 hrs from me and I'm going on vacation so no money for ride time with my bros...
And it's not very pretty... they all seem to get a nice giggle from the fact that he rattle can'd it flat black. Apparently, others want it too...it's been stolen and recovered twice now. No one's even looked at it since he boogered it up. I can't remember what he said it weighs, but it was like one of my wheels...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
DeadHead - what part of Jersey are you from? And did you see DarkStar a couple months ago in Sayerville?