Quantcast

**Nerd alert**: 3D Settlers of Catan board. Photo heavy.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
After mass production at the house over my weekend I brought everything into work. It was blissfully slow, airplane wise, so I got to work on personal projects. I believe I have more than enough pieces to make all the sets I initially was looking to make. Though I lost 3 pieces and some blood to the belt sander. The water and port pieces just really don't have anything to hang on to while sanding. :panic:

Cleaning up with Iso.

Primer all the things!

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I now finally had the last of the wood, and ocean and port pieces I needed to finish my first set. Water pieces went as documented before (though I think they came out better, my dry brush technique seems to have improved) and then I did the last 3 wood.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
The lighting is not great, but these are the only two pics I took last night with the completed board. I'll take more/better pictures when I get a chance with some natural light. We haven't played on it yet, probably wont until Friday, but I got to say, pretty fucking happy by how it turned out.

Now I just need to paint 2 more sets. :dead:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
fuuuuuuuuuuuuck......and i have no idea what game this is.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Damn Squeeb, color me impressed. You could probably sell molded pieces.
fuuuuuuuuuuuuck......and i have no idea what game this is.
this is amazing. well done!

how well do the settlements and cities sit at the nexus of the pieces?
Thanks fellas!

Cities and settlements sit okay. Not flat by any means but they also don't tip over. I think if I were to do it over I might build little flat spots on to each hex point for them. I'll admit that it had not occurred to me that that might be an issue until I had most of the pieces already built, but it's livable the way they are.

I still have two more sets to finish but all the incoming new aircraft have really put a damper on my painting time, and I just can't seem to find time at home. After that I might just try building some new pieces, I'd do some things different for sure next time around.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
GOLD!!!!
For Pirates and Explorers expansion.

Translucent clay. When baked it takes on the color of the dye, and is vaguely "see through". I'd like to try a different brand. Internet has shown me after the fact that this brand is pretty much the worst when it comes to post oven clarity.

"gold leaf".

This layer is a glow in the dark clay. Not that it does much for play, but they look cool as shit glowing in the dark.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Finished products. Pretty much same process, just used a couple other color dyes, and didn't mix the clay so much. I feel like the "gems" look more realistic with less mixing of colors.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

Srsly, though - why the fuck are you fixing airplanes when you could be doing this shit for work? :thumb:
Because there is no way I could make a living on these things. They are way too time consuming. I could probably sell some sets on the side to some white collar nerds for some fancy beer money, but as a full blown job? I doubt it very much.

Thanks though. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Because there is no way I could make a living on these things. They are way too time consuming. I could probably sell some sets on the side to some white collar nerds for some fancy beer money, but as a full blown job? I doubt it very much.

Perhaps make one amazing set, sell it for half a million to some Silicon Valley nerd, and retire?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Srsly, though - why the fuck are you fixing airplanes when you could be doing this shit for work? :thumb:

Narrator, 3.5 years later: After the collapse of the airline industry, Squeeb was forced to make Catan sets and sell them on Etsy...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
This is so god damn nerdy. And I LOVE it.

Keep up the good work. I saw the game in a store over rhe weekend and it reminded me of this thread; what a coincidence that it would get bumped to the top.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
@Pesqueeb, independent of your killer game board, how fun is the game? I'm looking to pick up some games as covid winter is guaranteed to be an isolated one.
Depends on your level of Nerddom I suppose, but we like it a lot, and have spread Catan to several families that we know. Catan is pretty simple to learn, as far as "advanced" board games go, but there can be a lot of strategy, especially if you start adding the expansions. It's probably one of the better euro-style games to start with. Other games can be mind meltingly complex. Small Catan games can be played in just an hour or two, large games with expansions can kill the larger part of a day.

Edit to add:
Other good "beginner" games are "Ghost fighting treasure hunters", dumb name, but great execution. Really only should be played with 4 people. It's a co-op where you dont play against each other, but the game itself. Shockingly intense game play.

And Munchkin, even though it's a card game vs a board game. Heavy D&D/dungeon cralwer type references, so pretty nerdy. Definitely favors a back-stab your friends type of play, may endanger your marriage.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Depends on your level of Nerddom I suppose, but we like it a lot, and have spread Catan to several families that we know. Catan is pretty simple to learn, as far as "advanced" board games go, but there can be a lot of strategy, especially if you start adding the expansions. It's probably one of the better euro-style games to start with. Other games can be mind meltingly complex. Small Catan games can be played in just an hour or two, large games with expansions can kill the larger part of a day.

Edit to add:
Other good "beginner" games are "Ghost fighting treasure hunters", dumb name, but great execution. Really only should be played with 4 people. It's a co-op where you dont play against each other, but the game itself. Shockingly intense game play.

And Munchkin, even though it's a card game vs a board game. Heavy D&D/dungeon cralwer type references, so pretty nerdy. Definitely favors a back-stab your friends type of play, may endanger your marriage.
Can vouch for both Catan *and* Munchkin.

bfc6a489a5388e18de0d20e4c7d19586--indoor-games-custom-cards.jpg

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Can’t believe I just found this thread. Double O Awesome work, @Pesqueeb. Can you repost some of the missing images? I want to see them and show them to my next door neighbour who is super into this stuff.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Can’t believe I just found this thread. Double O Awesome work, @Pesqueeb. Can you repost some of the missing images? I want to see them and show them to my next door neighbour who is super into this stuff.
Thanks man!

Photos seem to be a google sharing issue. I've tried to reset the sharing settings but it still seems wonky. This link will take you directly to the album. *I think* you should be able to see the raw folder. There are a lot of pictures in there that are not in this thread.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I haven't played settlers in a few years, man this is awesome. I used to get blazingly stoned and somehow I could just envision the path to victory every time pretty much. :rofl:

Need to find a set and teach it to the lady friend.