Quantcast

nerd stuff - model trains

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
a couple years back my dad passed down to my the Lionel trains he had from when he was a kid. O and HO gauges. i've never run the HO, only the O. and my dad never set up the HO either. the O track needs some cleaning. 2 years ago i set it up and the transformer needed the plug replaced. set up the track last night and nothing, so i'm assuming cleaning is necessary (there is visible grime on the tracks).

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My grandpa had a train shop when I was growing up but he never let us touch any of it. :rofl:

He also had epic slot cars with enough track to cover the damn house. That we could play with. I think it was 1:24 scale.

a couple years back my dad passed down to my the Lionel trains he had from when he was a kid. O and HO gauges. i've never run the HO, only the O. and my dad never set up the HO either. the O track needs some cleaning. 2 years ago i set it up and the transformer needed the plug replaced. set up the track last night and nothing, so i'm assuming cleaning is necessary (there is visible grime on the tracks).
With the transformer unconnected to the tracks, is it providing output voltage?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I was also a train geek. I had a H0 setup. I geeked out on that shit for hours. I got small scale legos and built little towns and everything.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I still have a G gauge model train collection at my mom's place. Looks like many moved on from train to mountain bike geekery. :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I went through a phase like that. Tried to set up an HO track downstairs in the basement. Didn't get really far. Went to the train museums in Suisun and some crazy weird one with small size tracks that had tours off highway 24. I even thought the BART was really cool when I was a kid. Coming back years after to see a concert in downtown SF from Antioch fixed that completely.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
My dad and me used to build trains and slot car tracks. We set up a few pieces of plywood in the basement and would make them intertwine with one another. Littles towns, tunnels, etc. was fun. Sold all that when RC cars came around.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Inherited something similar last year. Haven’t taken it out of the boxes yet…
9E7E7039-7DE2-4151-8166-30AC1D2693FA.jpeg
44584C90-DA2F-4797-B718-F4141B5DD4FB.jpeg