Quantcast

Nerds, tell me about ubuntu.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
So I'm thinking about building myself a new computer. I would like to build myself a dual boot system to help get away from the reliability/security issues with microsquash. I'm a gamer otherwise I'd just go mac. I'm mildly computer literate. I've built several machines and can most times trouble shoot and fix software/hardware problems on my own with help from Google. I have zero knowledge of Linux/ubuntu.
Positives/negatives? Input?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Your reasons for wanting to run Linux are not compelling enough for me to recommend running Linux. You might better learn how to make Microsoft more reliable/secure since you already know something about it.

And I am a former (an possibly future) Unix/Linux admin. I don't run Unix/Linux on any of my own systems...

trees4me

Chimp
Apr 16, 2009
my home pc finally kicked the bucket, and so I grabbed a friends' spare machine which was loaded only with Ubuntu. That was about 6 months ago... I find I don't do that much at power computing at home anymore, I do it all at work, so a crappy linux system is mostly sufficient.

It was surprisingly easy to adjust to, probably easier than switching to Vista :mad: I've found that if you don't ask too much of Ubuntu then it works great. However, when you want to do something slightly abnormal then it's a real time sink. eg dual monitors were a nightmare...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've found that if you don't ask too much of Ubuntu then it works great. However, when you want to do something slightly abnormal then it's a real time sink. eg dual monitors were a nightmare...
This is the biggest problem with Linux. Out of the box it works very well. If you want to do something that's not built into the stock functionality, though, it's horribly complicated.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The nice thing about Linux is that the only thing you have to spend to try it is time.

That being said, BV has a point, out of the box with standard stuff its cake. Non standard stuff (like the mentioned dual monitor setup) IS more complicated, but I personally wouldn't consider it horrible. Then again, I have a bit of a background in coding so it wasn't completely foreign to me. Most of what it entails is writing/modifying scripts and file locations/pointers. A lot of the info can be found online for particular pieces of hardware, Linux has a pretty knowledgable and supportive user base.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Then again, I have a bit of a background in coding so it wasn't completely foreign to me. Most of what it entails is writing/modifying scripts and file locations/pointers.
This, for 99.9% of the population, is horribly complicated.

I've probably run ten different flavors of linux over the years, various versions. I've fixed a lot of stuff during that time, with non-standard hardware, odd networking equipment, trying to get a mouse to work like it was designed... It's all really painful. If someone says, "I want a second monitor" or "I want the forward/backward buttons to work on my mouse" and your first response has to be: go to a linux forum and find out what massive, multi-page .conf files you have to change by hand and what drivers you need to download and compile, it's not a good user experience.

I genuinely like linux, but in the end, I can't really recommend it to anyone who's not a serious, experienced computer user. Because sometimes it works fine with no configuration, but when it requires something extra, it's usually way over the head of most normal people.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This, for 99.9% of the population, is horribly complicated.
You make a good point. I forget how stupid the average computer user is :bonk:.

(not to make any indications about the OP, but at the last company I worked for people were still asking help for basic functions in Microsoft word)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You make a good point. I forget how stupid the average computer user is :bonk:.

(not to make any indications about the OP, but at the last company I worked for people were still asking help for basic functions in Microsoft word)
using Word and writing script are just a tad different