Quantcast

Nervous about class

starrbabes

Chimp
Jun 9, 2006
Puyallup, WA
I'm going to this beginner jump/drop class on Saturday and I'm completely nervous. When I started riding, I didn't ever think I'd want to be doing "this" kind of riding, now I can't get enough. I'm hoping there will be others that know less about jumping and droping than I do. Anyone have any good tips or words of advice for me?:nopity:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
starrbabes said:
I'm going to this beginner jump/drop class on Saturday and I'm completely nervous. When I started riding, I didn't ever think I'd want to be doing "this" kind of riding, now I can't get enough. I'm hoping there will be others that know less about jumping and droping than I do. Anyone have any good tips or words of advice for me?:nopity:
What class is it, who is teaching it?

starrbabes

Chimp
Jun 9, 2006
Puyallup, WA
It's a beginner jump/drop class taught by Simon of Fluidride in Seattle, WA. I'm hoping it will get me a little more ready for Whistler in Aug.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
starrbabes said:
It's a beginner jump/drop class taught by Simon of Fluidride in Seattle, WA. I'm hoping it will get me a little more ready for Whistler in Aug.
Oh, no worries:) I took my first ever lesson with Simon like 3 yrs ago at Lower Woodlawn. He is chill and totally non stress if you are not feeling like doing something. I don't know how, but he makes you feel like you can do anything:cool: Just let him what you are nervous about, and what you are trying to learn and he'll break it down for you.

Relax and have fun:)

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Just as Snacks said, with Simon as a teacher, no worries! I still remember my first lesson with him (5+ years ago I think!) and was nervous, but after chatting with him you realize he's just a guy who loves to ride and just happens to be good at teaching others :)

If you like his class I would also recommend thinking about private lessons. The border collie in me loved being able to keep working on something over and over again with a captive audience :D

Good luck and have fun! Let us know how it goes.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I third the motion! You will love the class and him. You'll have drills and he'll know exactly what you're doing wrong. Next you'll be up for the intermediate class - still has slots available in July. My BF and I just took a private class with him at SeaTac Flow Park on Tuesday, and it was great - we just worked on drops. We're taking his intermediate jump/drop class next Tuesday evening. I too am a great fan of continuing ed....

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Color me jealous. Come back and tell us all the good tips you learn.
I love taking skills classes, I don't think I've taken a bad one yet.

starrbabes

Chimp
Jun 9, 2006
Puyallup, WA
redFoxx, I'm definitly going to try and nap a spot in his intermediate class also after the beginners class. Maybe I'll be in yours. On Sunday, my husband is going to help me practice my new skills. I feel like years behind everyone being in a beginner class, but I guess you all were here at some point, right?

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
starrbabes said:
redFoxx, I'm definitly going to try and nap a spot in his intermediate class also after the beginners class. Maybe I'll be in yours. On Sunday, my husband is going to help me practice my new skills. I feel like years behind everyone being in a beginner class, but I guess you all were here at some point, right?
Actually our June 27th Tues eve class is full but if you call them direct, you may get in. GrapeApe got in that way! Otherwise there's one July lst that's still got openings - here's the link:
http://bbtc.org/recreation/calendar.php?event_id=4386
Just to let you know Simon might be changing the place to Woodland Park instead of SeaTac Flow Park. It would be cool if you could get into our class though! I have only recently moved up from beginner stage so don't feel like you're behind or need years of experience.

starrbabes

Chimp
Jun 9, 2006
Puyallup, WA
That's how I got into the beginner class, I talked to Simon personally and he fit me in. The weekend class is better for me anyway since I live in Puyallup and commute to Seattle to work. Thanks though.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Starbabes, everyone does have to start somewhere, and what matters is that you have the motivation to improve. With that kind of motivation, you are guaranteed to improve your skills in no time!

That said, I'm still in the learning stages myself but have seen how when I want to learn something, if I work hard enough at it, it will happen.

I learned wheelies by getting on my bike every day after work for 2 weeks and practicing. One day, I just got it. One of these days, I'll get the larger drops. I don't know about skinnies though--yuck!

starrbabes

Chimp
Jun 9, 2006
Puyallup, WA
I hear ya there, I'm struggling with the wheelies also. I'm really into it this year though, unlike last year, I had high hopes but didn't seem to have my heart in it. Now, I can't get enough. I just need more time!!!

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
GrapeApe79 said:
I learned wheelies by getting on my bike every day after work for 2 weeks and practicing. One day, I just got it. One of these days, I'll get the larger drops. I don't know about skinnies though--yuck!

yay! inspiration for my continual quest for the perfect manual. That's a good reminder that practice does make perfect, and that people aren't born with skills; that they have to learn them!

I'm so manualing this week. :) I WILL get my butt back and that front tire up.

starrbabes

Chimp
Jun 9, 2006
Puyallup, WA
Well girls I had my lesson and now want even more. I think my hubby and I are going to do a private lesson. I finally after like forever nailed the dropping. Oh and I got my first pair of clipless pedals and I LOVE THEM!!! Why didn't I try this before? Anyone going to SST tomorrow, I'm going to try out my new pedals and shoes, my new techniques and my new confidence. See you there maybe. PS. I ride a red Specialized XC Pro.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Cool! Glad you loved the class and are now ready for more! You should see if you can get into the intermediate class. We'll be at SST Monday eve for alittle while around 6:00 and then Tuesday eve is our class.

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
Glad your class went well. Wish we had something like that going on here. Maybe there is...I'll have to research.
Good luck in your riding future!