Quantcast

NetFlix watch instantly on your PC?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
So I'm looking to set up a NetFlix account at my apartment and I was looking at the new offerings they have. Apparently I don't even have to order movies now, I can just watch them on my computer?

Does anyone use this and how do you like it? Selection appears to be less (7,000 movies vs. 90,000+ by mail), but for instant access that is pretty cool. Do you like the selection they have and do you even bother with ordering DVD's anymore? Can I watch one movie after another even if I have the 1DVD at a time plan?

Went to Hollywood Video last night and paid $10 for two rentals. :plthumbsdown: F'ing rip off, but the Red Box was all out of decent selections and I was feeling the need to veg out. Doubt I'll be going back there though.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I run xp, use netflix, And I can keep up to three movies at a time. The instant viewing is awesome, not a great selection though. Think I might give the Blockbuster total access a shot

ito

Oct 3, 2003
I run xp, use netflix, And I can keep up to three movies at a time. The instant viewing is awesome, not a great selection though. Think I might give the Blockbuster total access a shot
Is it mostly older movies or new releases? I'm looking at Blockbuster as well, but I like NetFlix cause it is local to where I went to school and I have never been a big Blockbuster fan (bad customer service a few times).

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
My guitar player has tried that instant watch deal. Generally he is looking for obscure stuff that isn't available instantly though. He ran the s-video from his laptop to his HDTV, it has similar quality to a non-upconverted DVD.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Is it mostly older movies or new releases? I'm looking at Blockbuster as well, but I like NetFlix cause it is local to where I went to school and I have never been a big Blockbuster fan (bad customer service a few times).
Both, you will see some new releases and a bunch of older movies, havent had a new release I couldnt not order through the mail though.

I am hesitant to try blockbuster for the same reason, didnt get great service in the past, but it owuld be nice to be able to drive over and get a movie right away, instead of waiting.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My guitar player has tried that instant watch deal. Generally he is looking for obscure stuff that isn't available instantly though. He ran the s-video from his laptop to his HDTV, it has similar quality to a non-upconverted DVD.
Yeah My tv has a USB port for video, I just plug it into the laptop and play away

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Netflix has a better selection than blockbuster as far as I've seen. I do get impatient waiting for the mail though. AND right now I have Carmen Electra's Strip Tease Aerobics out and I am enjoying it so much I don't want to return it!!!! So I can only get two at a time. It's a shame really.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
My wife received a free month subscription for the holidays and she hammered the &%it out of it. She would be watching a movie on the pc when I got home from work and also had like 1 or 2 in the mail box as I walked in. It seemed to be a cool thing, although she decided to cancel it just recently.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I use the netflix thingy. They are constantly adding movies, but for now the selection is not great. When I just feel like kicking back and watching a movie on my own there is always something I'm happy to watch, but when it comes time to view films with other people who have diverse tastes we have a hard time finding anything from that 7k. That might have something to do with the fact that my girlfriend hates practically all good movies though.

ito

Oct 3, 2003
I use the netflix thingy. They are constantly adding movies, but for now the selection is not great. When I just feel like kicking back and watching a movie on my own there is always something I'm happy to watch, but when it comes time to view films with other people who have diverse tastes we have a hard time finding anything from that 7k. That might have something to do with the fact that my girlfriend hates practically all good movies though.
Sounds like it will fulfill my needs then. Thanks everyone for the help.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
AND right now I have Carmen Electra's Strip Tease Aerobics out and I am enjoying it so much I don't want to return it!!!! So I can only get two at a time. It's a shame really.
Does TN participate?