Quantcast

Network question

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
starting a new thread in hopes of more hits.

I've got a Dell workstation with an onboard network card. I just installed a pci network card and I see both in "Network connections". Hardware manager shows both "working properly". Problem is that despite the onboard one showing 'connected at 100.0', "firewalled", etc, the computer doesn't act as if it is connected to the network. Disabling the new pci network card does the trick but I'll be hooking that up to a 3D printer tomorrow so it will have to be reenabled. Hoping that when the embedded computer in the 3D printer is plugged in that it will Auto-detect everything correctly. Am I in the ballpark with that assumption?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
starting a new thread in hopes of more hits.

I've got a Dell workstation with an onboard network card. I just installed a pci network card and I see both in "Network connections". Hardware manager shows both "working properly". Problem is that despite the onboard one showing 'connected at 100.0', "firewalled", etc, the computer doesn't act as if it is connected to the network. Disabling the new pci network card does the trick but I'll be hooking that up to a 3D printer tomorrow so it will have to be reenabled. Hoping that when the embedded computer in the 3D printer is plugged in that it will Auto-detect everything correctly. Am I in the ballpark with that assumption?
Hard to say withn the information given. It sounds like you've got a configuration issue with the second card, and I could probably come up with at least a dozen ways to misconfigure a second card that would cause a similar problem.

Are you using a crossover card to connect to the printer? or a hub/switch?

Is your onboard card going to a hub/switch? is it the same one the PCI card is going to?

Did you set up tcp/ip on the pci card? Did you manually configure an address, use dhcp or is it getting an APIPA adress (169.x.x.x). Did you configure any DNS settings manually? If you manually configured are you sure all your subnet masks and gateways are correct?

What happens when you do a route print fron the command line? What about inetcfg /all? How about a tracert to a known internet site?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Reactor... from what I read on there, he hasn't gotten that far. If I'm understanding it correctly, plugging in the new PCI network card (no setup or connection to a printer or anything) causes his current network connection to cease functioning. So, no problems with the printer etc. and even a misconfigured NIC (the new one) shouldn't screw up his current connection, since Windows should be handling each connection seperately. Should, of course, being the key word :rolleyes:

Really quick troubleshooting step: plug both cards into the same switch or router that you're using for the onboard NIC, and make sure your secondary NIC is configured properly for your network. See if that starts up both LAN connections and everything works.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with dual NICs unfortunately.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Hard to say withn the information given. It sounds like you've got a configuration issue with the second card, and I could probably come up with at least a dozen ways to misconfigure a second card that would cause a similar problem.

Are you using a crossover card to connect to the printer? or a hub/switch?

Is your onboard card going to a hub/switch? is it the same one the PCI card is going to?

Did you set up tcp/ip on the pci card? Did you manually configure an address, use dhcp or is it getting an APIPA adress (169.x.x.x). Did you configure any DNS settings manually? If you manually configured are you sure all your subnet masks and gateways are correct?

What happens when you do a route print fron the command line? What about inetcfg /all? How about a tracert to a known internet site?
Right when I thought I knew something about computers....

The printer has an on-board computer and a red network cable hanging out of the back that I assume is the crossover cable they talk about in the manual so it isn't a standard printer connection. It's really peer to peer. Sorry, should have mentioned that.

On-board card is going to a hub. PCI card will not be going to a hub. See above.

Didn't config anything. It was all APIPA.
I was doing 3 things at once and didn't think to check the network connection thru the new card. Just saw that it was "working properly".
Those print commands won't work with this. It's not that kind of printer. www.stratasys.com

My layman's description is; it seems like it's seeing the new card as the 'default' connection and if that one isn't connected, it won't use the secondary one even tho' it shows that 'network connection' "connected at 100.0Mbps" and "Firewalled".

So if one is going to a peer-peer connection, would I have to manually config that nic card for that kind of connection?

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
manually config the tcp/ip in both computers so they play nice. Interesting setup they have here. the embedded pc is running Win2k and they have a switchbox to go between the two using one monitor and one keyboard/mouse.
The machine is made in Israel so the Win2k machine's time is set for Jerusalem.

thanks for your help.